5 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do I flip my discard after the starting hand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kit B
United States
flag msg tools
Sorry in advance for the stupid question, but I'm confused on timing - a how to play video showed the players flipping over their discard pile to form their new deck as soon as their main deck was empty, even if they didn't need to draw a card from said empty deck.

My assumption in every deckbuilder ever is you're only triggering a reshuffle (or in this case a flip) when you need to draw a card, not when your deck is simply empty. Otherwise you're playing 5 cards at the start, drawing five new cards, and then immediately reforming your main deck.

Is this the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You are only supposed to draw a new hand when you would draw, and your deck is empty. Based on your description, it sounds like the video either did it incorrectly or was taking liberties for simplification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like the video made an error, but note that you also flip your discard even if you only need to reveal a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Helfer
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is only going to have an effect, though, if you have a card that messes with discard. I know there is one, a nemesis card, but I can't remember any other. And apart from that kind of effect, it doesn't matter a whole lot. In effect, you have a continuous deck, and your discard pile is on the bottom of it. And so in most cases, if you flip your discard at the wrong time, it won't make much of a difference. Unless I'm missing a vital point, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eliashelfer wrote:
It is only going to have an effect, though, if you have a card that messes with discard. I know there is one, a nemesis card, but I can't remember any other. And apart from that kind of effect, it doesn't matter a whole lot. In effect, you have a continuous deck, and your discard pile is on the bottom of it. And so in most cases, if you flip your discard at the wrong time, it won't make much of a difference. Unless I'm missing a vital point, at least.

It matters for cards which affect things in your discard. In base Aeon's End, this includes Bottled Vortex, Molten Hammer, and possibly a number of nemesis-specific cards. If you flip too early, you no longer have a discard for these cards to act on - a notable disadvantage if you use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.