Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Just ordered firefly the game... but did I do the right thing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carter Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m late to the firefly party having just ordered the base game (plus breaking atmo & pirates/bounty hunters). I’ve held off with other expansions and other ships (main reason I got PBH was the ships) but if the game gets to the table frequently enough I’m sure I’ll end up with everything. whistle

But now there’s the new firefly browncoats game coming soon, I’m wondering if I should have got the newer game.

I’m curious what people with this game think- have I made the shiny decision getting this? My main reason for purchasing this is because I always aim to misbehave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Endresen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have made the shiny decision

I have The Big Damn Crate with all content. It's not played enough, but I love the game. It has good replayability, and is entertaining to play.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
I’m late to the firefly party having just ordered the base game (plus breaking atmo & pirates/bounty hunters). I’ve held off with other expansions and other ships (main reason I got PBH was the ships) but if the game gets to the table frequently enough I’m sure I’ll end up with everything. whistle

But now there’s the new firefly browncoats game coming soon, I’m wondering if I should have got the newer game.

I’m curious what people with this game think- have I made the shiny decision getting this? My main reason for purchasing this is because I always aim to misbehave.

I would definitely say you made the right decision. This game is awesome solo or with a group. And as a fan of the show you can’t go wrong either. I’m sure there’s room for both games to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:

Where did you find Breaking Atmo? I have had no luck scoring a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:

Carter, the two games are very different. Although these are not quite accurate definitions, the boardgame you ordered is strategic, while Firefly Adventures: Brigands and Browncoats is tactical.

You can think of it as playing a season of Firefly (existing game) vs an episode (new one).

The side of the box for Firefly: The Boardgame paraphrases the show: Find a Crew. Find a Job. Get Paid. And when you play, that's exactly what you'll do. You hire a crew from a broad array of options, equip them with interesting gear, maybe upgrade your ship, deal with a variety of contacts, complete (or fail to complete) jobs for them, and sail through the black... all while competing against other captains as you all try to complete the same major goal (as determined by the selected Story Card).

There is tremendous variety and replayability, and the game is amazingly thematic. Downside: The learning curve can be a bit harsh at times, and there's a TON of material. I recommend that you're first few plays are with just the core game, and you may want to try a few solo games before sharing with your friends.

The new game is not available yet, so we can't speak to it in great detail, but rather than playing the ship and its entire Crew, you play one crew member (choosing from only five to start), and although I'm sure there will be variety and replayability, it's focused on a single scenario (actually, I think the game will come with multiple scenarios... but only one at a time).

So, rather than playing out the overarching story arc of "hire a crew and get solid with Niska" (which is one of about 20 different story cards), you're going to "rescue the hostages" or "infiltrate the warehouse and take out the goons."

Honestly, both games look like a lot of fun in very different ways, but if you're a Firefly fan, you can rest assured you should be pretty happy with the purchase you've made.

Welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this feels a lot more like an "and" question than an "or".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Trakon - I looked at the Broken Token website, and that big damn crate is awesome - Being able to play it from the box is nuts - but I can not justify $160.

clip611 - I found Breaking’ Atmo hard to find too, so ordered from here:
https://www.chessusa.com/product/SW-242.html

gwek - your detailed response has brought peace to me; I’ve made the right decision.

I always play my games solo at least once before playing with others - your advice is sound and wise as if from Shepard Book himself; who once warned me to never talk in the cinema.

I had planned to order Crime & Punishment, but took it out of the cart because it seems to make the base game difficult. I’ll leave this until later.

What would people suggest as my next investment?
Blue Sun?
Kalidasa?
Jetwash and/or Esmeralda?
Big money

Really looking forward to playing this. I appreciate all (including future) responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakin' Atmo is all over eBay.com and eBay.co.uk if you can't find it locally. It's usually pretty cheap and lots of options.

Worth getting - but then so are all the expansions and the cool fan-made ones. I've got just over 1,300 unique cards in the 'Verse across all the various (and new) source planets.... so I created 2 separate decks for each to keep things fresh.

I do sometimes 'prime the pumps' and seed specific themes or IPs if I want a certain game, so Blake's 7 or Star Wars or Disney, etc.

But hey, you can NEVER go wrong with any Firefly The game purchase.

Merry Gorram Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:

I had planned to order Crime & Punishment, but took it out of the cart because it seems to make the base game difficult. I’ll leave this until later.

What would people suggest as my next investment?
Blue Sun?
Kalidasa?
Jetwash and/or Esmeralda?
Big money

All depends on what you're looking for. This question has been asked a few times up here, and there are some really in depth answers that I won't attempt to recreate here - mostly because I'm in a hurry.

In short: Big Money will only add flash to your game. Poker chips (unofficial) will do the same.

Jetwash and Esmeralda will add some new ships and Zoe as a Captain (there aren't many female Leaders in the game, and that may be a factor with your group), but not really any new rules, so a very easy add.

Kalidasa and Blue Sun add more map, so take up more table, more decks, and some new rules. They add to the challenge - for example, 3 Reaver ships zipping around instead of just 1 means that it's easier to blockade a planet.

Crime & Punishment adds more challenging (read "deadly") Misbehaves, and some new rules. I wouldn't necessarily start with it, or at least not incorporate all of it when you're starting out or with a lot of new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend essentially following the order of publication. Personally, I like Kalidasa more than Blue Sun and if I were only going to get one, it would be Kalidasa, BUT I also feel like Kalidasa builds on ideas introduced in Blue Sun, so the progression makes sense.

Esmeralda and Jetwash work very nicely with the Rim Space Expansions, so once you're ready to expand, my recommendation would be:

Blue Sun
Jetwash/Esmeralda
Kalidasa
Crime & Punishment

Pepper in the cosmetic-only expansions (such as Big Money and the dice packs) when you find good deals.

And, as noted, don't forget about the expansions we do here. There are enough customs to fill a cargo hold, and even if you just want to limit to the ones that are essentially professional-level (many of which have been playtested in our play-by-forum games here), you can probably double the amount of existing material.

If you're interested, there are multiple threads in the forum suggesting the order that folks recommending purchasing - and why! And then when you're ready, duck on over the the Variants forum for whole new worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GWEK usually has some of the best insight into the game, and I personally trust his judgement. that said,

Don't forget the
Artful Dodger.
I didn't see it listed anywhere above, and she's a must for any game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
D'oh! Yes, I totally forgot the Artful Dodger - probably the best ship in the game. Nice catch!

If you're enjoying the game, get the Artful Dodger whenever you come across an affordably priced copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
D'oh! Yes, I totally forgot the Artful Dodger - probably the best ship in the game. Nice catch!

If you're enjoying the game, get the Artful Dodger whenever you come across an affordably priced copy. :)

It's funny I always get the AD because it is the best ship overall, most people grab the serenity or Esmeralda, I don't argue at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be keeping a eye out for Artful Dodger, however, I’ve only found two on amazon for $129.95 + 5.99 shopping so screw that scalper. Might have to print my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
I will be keeping a eye out for Artful Dodger, however, I’ve only found two on amazon for $129.95 + 5.99 shopping so screw that scalper. Might have to print my own.

A trustworthy friend of mine was told at the PAX Unplugged Gale Force 9 booth that the Artful Dodger was being reprinted and should arrive sometime in December. I guess it is late.

It would be nice to know what GF9s plan for keeping the game in print. It seems most of the main online stores are pretty spotty what they have available but it seems GF9 still has almost everything still available at their store, at full price of course. Not sure why they aren't restocking the stores that are out of stock on almost everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, GF9 didn’t mention Firefly: The Game in their video for upcoming 2018 releases. Was hoping to see 1 or 2 expansions... shake

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=epJK84BELrs

However, at the 3:25 mark, they show two releases for Firefly Adventures: Brigands and Browncoats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If GF9 re-prints Artful Dodger and firefly gets to the table enough, then I will absolutely buy the original based on everyone’s recommendation.

However, I refuse to pay scalper prices. I’d rather buy the custom dice set, a resin models kit and print the cards than pay scalpers.

Keep flyin’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hell
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has mentioned my favorite expansion after Blue Sun and Kalidasa; “Pirates and Bounty Hunters”, which ads, in my opinion, the much-needed player interaction not found in the game before it’s release.

Whatever you start with, I’m sure if you’re a firefly fan, you’ll love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astromags wrote:
No one has mentioned my favorite expansion after Blue Sun and Kalidasa; “Pirates and Bounty Hunters”, which ads, in my opinion, the much-needed player interaction not found in the game before it’s release.

Whatever you start with, I’m sure if you’re a firefly fan, you’ll love the game.

Maybe because in my top post I said I already ordered P&BH.

Follow on question. I haven’t had a chance to play firefly yet but I’m noticing a shortage of Blue Sun in stores. Should I be worried? Should I be chasing blue sun down in case it shares the same fate of the artful dodger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know Blue Sun is still officially in print, but I get the impression that Firefly is falling off GF9's priorities a bit.

I think it's fair to say that if you like the base game you'll probably like the fully-expanded game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
have I made the shiny decision getting this? My main reason for purchasing this is because I always aim to misbehave.

It’s a great-looking, very playable game that as a Firefly fan I’m delighted with and I’d fully expect you to be happy with your purchase. It doesn’t get enough table time here because I’m also a big fan of Eldritch Horror and that one is hogging the limelight for my big Ameritrash games at the moment.

Looking forward to misbehaving a bit now. 8-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hell
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astromags wrote:
Carter_Burke wrote:
modest

Don’t be embarrassed. Look at this as you were right - P&BH is worth getting first. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huonker
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it about 6 months ago, besides being "Shiny", it's fun. One week later, started picking up all the expansions.

You'll love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.