BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Can you recommend a 2-player RPG Competitive game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Most of the interesting RPG Fantasy type card games out there are co-operative.

My friend and I want to compete against each other with a good 2 player game with a RPG or fantasy element, but not Magic the Gathering.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Stafford
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms. Especially if you get the hero packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just tried out Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire for the first time last week, and I enjoyed it enough that I'm considering picking it up. It plays best with 2, I hear.

Edit: If you're interested in sci-fi as well, I bet your options would expand a lot.

Edit number 2: Based on what I've read, Mage Knight Board Game could work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fallen is an AMAZING RPG Fantasy 2 player competitive game! Check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, never played it but have heard lots of good things is Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hero Realms looks cooperative, am I wrong?

A couple of others I'm curious about:

Epic Card Game
Game of Thrones
Pathfinder

Would any of these be good as a competitive 2 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:

Epic Card Game
Game of Thrones
Pathfinder

Pathfinder Adventure Cardgame is co-operative (my husband and I play it together). I don't know about the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:

Epic Card Game
Game of Thrones
Pathfinder

Game of Thrones works better with higher player counts, I would say 5-6.

You mentioned co-op card games so for a card focused suggestion, I haven't played Summoner Wars but folks seem to enjoy it and its card based pvp.

Here are a few other competitive fantasy games for you to look up:
* Arcadia Quest: Cutthroat PVP with quests and character progression. Works best with 3-4, but can still be fun with 2 depending on who you are playing against. An easy favorite for me and my friends.
* Runebound (Third Edition): A race to power up your hero and be the first to defeat rising evil.
* Roll Player: Roll dice and try to build the perfect character.
* Lords of Waterdeep: Play as a guild master sending heroes on quests to earn you the most victory points.
* Ethnos: Play suites of creatures to take control over territory on the board and earn victory points. Best with 4, but can still be fun with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've heard Epic is a worse Magic clone. If you are interested in that type, check out Allegiance: A Realm Divided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms is competitive, but there are cooperative modes available through expansions.

I second the recommendation for Hero Realms if you are looking for a fantasy-themed competitive card game that is not M:tG. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and am greatly enjoying it. I've played the base set 11 times with 8 of those plays occurring in a single day. If you're familiar with M:tG, it feels like a 2-player game of Magic playing a face-up Winston Draft in which you get to (almost) immediately use the cards that you are drafting.

The base box will give you tons of replayability, but then you can buy the character packs for even more. Then, you can move on to the bosses and the co-op stuff if you want.

Pit of Misery wrote:

Epic Card Game
Game of Thrones
Pathfinder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meadweizer wrote:
Pit of Misery wrote:

Epic Card Game
Game of Thrones
Pathfinder

You mentioned co-op card games so for a card focused suggestion, I haven't played Summoner Wars but folks seem to enjoy it and its card based pvp.

* Arcadia Quest: Cutthroat PVP with quests and character progression. Works best with 3-4, but can still be fun with 2 depending on who you are playing against. An easy favorite for me and my friends.
* Runebound (Third Edition): A race to power up your hero and be the first to defeat rising evil.
* Lords of Waterdeep: Play as a guild master sending heroes on quests to earn you the most victory points.
* Ethnos: Play suites of creatures to take control over territory on the board and earn victory points. Best with 4, but can still be fun with 2.

Summoner Wars is a good suggestion. It doesn't quite feel like a card game because of the board and tactical on-board movement/combat. But it is a very good game that might satisfy the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll throw Mage Wars Arena out there as something that may be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:
Epic
Game of Thrones
Pathfinder

Epic Card Game is a very good game, that is a bit like Magic: the Gathering, just a lot more streamlined.

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) is fantastic (and fully competitive), however, as an LCG, it does "require" getting many expansions.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is a cooperative game.

And I would also +1 Mage Wars Arena, which is a great game for two players.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another for Hero Realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meadweizer wrote:
Pit of Misery wrote:

Epic Card Game
Game of Thrones
Pathfinder

There is a Game of Thrones expansion to change it into a short 4-player game and it is great. (A Feast for Crows expansion).

Aside from that, card games I’m stumped, but Mage Knight and Claustrophobia are pretty good examples here. You could also do Descent: Journeys in the Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) is fantastic (and fully competitive), however, as an LCG, it does "require" getting many expansions.

Oooh, there is a Game of Thrones card game! I was totally unaware and thought he was asking about A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). My earlier boardgame suggestions could likely be batch ignored. whistle

nukesniper wrote:
There is a Game of Thrones expansion to change it into a short 4-player game and it is great. (A Feast for Crows expansion).

This is why I love BGG, I was also unaware of this but it would likely make GoT hit the table more for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Good recommendations, thanks.

I have a further caveat:

Could we also suggest games that have a 1-player option?

In case my friend doesn't like the game or doesn't want to play it, I won't be stuck with something I can never play myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is the top rated game among the 1 Player Guild. I'll fish up a link in a minute and edit this post to include some buzz about it.

Edit: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/233582/2017-peoples-choic...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Card Game is good fun, plays quickly, and the 120 card base game is really cheap. Each player uses a 30 card deck so you can use one of the existing 30 card decks based on one of the four factions, or just mix them all up and draft your own decks.

It plays like Magic if there was no mana and you could just play any one card you want on your turn. A lot of the cards are super powerful and the game is very swingy, but since both sides have lots of overpowered cards you never really feel like its unfair. The rules that come in the box are pretty thin so look at the files section in the game's BGG entry for one of the flowchart helper aids and it makes it a ton easier to see how the game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Okay, I spoke to my friend today and he said that he finds Magic the Gathering too difficult and technical, "too complicated".

Based on that, do you think maybe Epic Card Game is the best choice? You said it was more streamlined.

Mage Knight seems like it falls on the complicated side, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight, from what I know, should be ruled out for its complexity.

I looked up Hero Realms because it was recommended by others here, and I think it might work for you. Its low price allows for purchasing expansions, and that's where the game begins filling out. It appears it also will have more solo content in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
thomstaff wrote:
Hero Realms. Especially if you get the hero packs.

I enjoy hero realms a lot. I would actually go so far as to say that you really need the hero packs to make the game pop. Without the hero packs you might as well get star realms instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms has a solo mode. A campaign mode would make it one of if not the only 2-player competitive fantasy game with the ability to level a character.

A guy I game with and myself love Star Realms so we debated on who was going all in on Epic if not both. In the end he did. I hardly ever saw it. I asked and he said the best thing about the game is that it is playable. A new guy in my group is looking to get rid of his copy, so he loaned it out to me. Haven't played it, but just looking at the rules I can't imagine me being impressed. So that's looking at 0-3 with people I know and myself, and I don't expect much from other people who I game with. I'm 100% positive I could make it 0-6 if I asked others.

Non-campaign, fantasy card games, not board games with cards *ahem*, I would look into, Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn and Mage Wars Academy. Neither have solo options. GoT: LCG is also good although I tire of the LCG format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sponaugle
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely, Claustrophobia. 2-player, very competitive, not D&D but Fantasy themed. Two expansions will keep you playing a long time...
Oops, sorry, Claustrophobia is not a card game. Great two-player miniatures game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Can the Lord of the Rings card game be played competitively?

I thought it was cooperative, but I saw a thread that says it can be competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.