Zintis M
msg tools
This entry is for the 54 Card Game Contest

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1893921/2018-54-card-game-d...

Wise Guys and Lies

A strategic bluffing card game for 2-5 mob bosses.

10 Minutes per player.

This town ain't big enough for all of us. Gather your men and get some dirt on the other crime bosses. All you gotta do is deliver a few choice tips to the FBI and the other bosses will go down hard. A few good men and a couple well timed lies are all you need. Once they're outta your hair, this town will be all yours.

Components:

54 Cards:
48 Agent Cards
5 Big Boss Cards
1 FBI Card

Goal:

To eliminate all other players by flipping over their their contact cards.

Gameplay Synopsis:

You start the game with 1 Big Boss and 3 Contact cards (representing 4 life points).

Play cards from your hand to draw, discard, and damage your opponents (and a few more things).

The twist is all cards played from hand are played face down! When played, you state what your cards "are", and can lie about it. Other players can challenge you if they think you are lying, revealing those cards and putting a life point on the line.

You don't have to lie to win, but a few well timed fibs will help put you ahead or pull you out of a tight spot.

Categories:

Best Game Overall Category.
Best Graphical Design
Best New Designer (first entry in BGG design contest)

Rules/PnP:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bjx8NF0lOQXdRJfO7sPZfc9o7M...

Thanks for taking a look!

Please let me know what you think of any aspect of the game and entry.

I'm always looking to improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yay! Another organised crime game. Looking forward to testing this one now that my own is under control. Hope to get some feedback to you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Zintis,

Apologies for the lateness of this feedback - I had been planning to playtest your game much earlier, but let's just say it has been a very busy summer... In the end I have run out of time to play, but here's some feedback based on reading the rules.

First - great theme! And it seems that the mechanics really contribute to it.

The cards are also attractive and thematic. Ultimately, it would be nice to have unique artwork on each card, as you have on the Big Boss cards, but they are fine as is. I'm not sure about the Medieval calligraphic font you used for the card names - it doesn't seem to fit the theme to me. Something Art Deco might work better, or the font you used on your game logo. The typewriter font is good though - perhaps you should use it on the Big Boss cards too.

Love the Trump card! You deserve extra points just for that!

The cards could be laid out better for PnP crafting. In particular, the double sided Big Boss and FBI cards would be good to have so they could be printed on a double-sided page. It would also be cool to have some card backs based on your game logo image.

In the setup section, there's no mention of taking a Big Boss card each and placing it face up. Rather than talking about the Big Boss being "exposed", maybe use "arrested" to match the card text?

I like how the FBI card creates a timer that accelerates the game end. Nice mechanic!

After reading the rules I feel like I know how to play. However, I do think the rule document could be streamlined a bit, as there is some repetition. The addition of different complexity levels (standard game, first game etc) is great.

I hope that feedback is useful. Apologies again for taking so long about it, but hopefully you still have time to make any changes you choose before the deadline in a couple of days.

Cheers!
JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One K
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, nice design. I hope I can try this and give you any feedback soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.