Jared Cowing
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,
So if I'm reading the rules correctly, a game with the Transwarp Hub means that the Borg will spend the first few turns placing new star lanes/systems moving toward the players' home worlds. Assuming that no one player keeps going first, that progress toward player space will be somewhat even/spread out.
However, as soon as the Borg make a link to some player's space, most of the command cards refer to "connected" targets, meaning that Cubes will more or less stop placing new star lanes and will begin to flow into that player's space, abandoning all progress toward the other players.
Therefore, is it safe to say that when this happens, the player who makes first contact with the Borg is far more threatened than the other players? The threatened player could beg for help diplomatically, or force that vital connection to occur on the far edge of their space & create a tempting connection to some other player to help siphon away some Cubes. But, I suspect that in most games those options won't be enough to make the Borg threat "fair" in its distribution to all players. I like that the Borg aren't totally equitable in this way since it makes things a little less predictable, although in the games I've played so far it has been a little bit too one-sided.

What do you all think, am I applying the rules correctly, and/or have you had a similar experience? Are there other rules or strategies I could be using to make sure all players are feeling the heat just a little?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds as if you're doing it right. By the time the Borg connect most player factions should also already be connected (you want to connect early to get some trade going).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try to be less of a target by trying to avoid the conditions on the command cards, for example dont build a starbase until you really need it.

Other players should be wary of your wrath once you would be assimilated devil and as such do their best to avoid it.
Being able to choose which command cards to apply to which cubes can be dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.