Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Century: Eastern Wonders» Forums » General

Subject: Dear Publisher, PLEASE change the colors for the resources! A plea from the colorblind. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

STOP. USING. RED/GREEN/BROWN.

Over 1 in every 20 men is colorblind to red/green. The brown is also a problem. The Spice Road was UNPLAYABLE for me. Please don't double down on this terrible color choice for the resources. At least make them a different shapes if you insist on using these three colors. Please. PLEASE.

I want to play and buy your games. Help me do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Over 1 in every 20 men is colorblind to red/green. The brown is also a problem. The Spice Road was UNPLAYABLE for me. Please don't double down on this terrible color choice for the resources. At least make them a different shapes if you insist on using these three colors. Please. PLEASE.

Might be a good idea to reach out directly to the company. However, based on the marketing images, probably too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Might be a good idea to reach out directly to the company. However, based on the marketing images, probably too late.

I can certainly understand your frustration. Probably too late for the three games that will make up this series — since they’re supposed to be played together, the cube colors are already set.

For spice road you could snag a copy of Century: Golem Edition which uses yellow, green, blue, and pink gems. No follow ons for the Golem Edition, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

I have red/green color blindness - I personally didn't have problems with Spice Road. That being said, we sourced Pantone colors further out from Spice Road to help those who voiced their challenges with Spice Road.

I have looked at the cubes side by side and noticed a difference. I'm unsure if the promo images identify the new Pantone color or not (there's also plenty to be said about monitor color accuracy), but as soon as I get my hands on a proof copy I will do some side by side photos to see if you are able to distinguish the difference.

Know that we listened to the small segment of the population who voiced frustration about this. That being said, the colors are integrated into the mixable game Sand To Sea and other future mixable Century games. Simple put, we couldn't reverse course on our plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I have red/green color blindness - I personally didn't have problems with Spice Road. That being said, we sourced Pantone colors further out from Spice Road to help those who voiced their challenges with Spice Road.

I have looked at the cubes side by side and noticed a difference. I'm unsure if the promo images identify the new Pantone color or not (there's also plenty to be said about monitor color accuracy), but as soon as I get my hands on a proof copy I will do some side by side photos to see if you are able to distinguish the difference.

Know that we listened to the small segment of the population who voiced frustration about this. That being said, the colors are integrated into the mixable game Sand To Sea and other future mixable Century games. Simple put, we couldn't reverse course on our plans.

I had difficulty distinguishing the Red from the Brown in Spice Road under certain lighting conditions. I fixed that by putting a dot from a Gold Sharpie on each side of the Brown cubes, as well as a single Gold dot on each Brown Cube Icon on the cards. Now it is completely playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulminus Maximus
msg tools
Shampoo4you wrote:

STOP. DEMANDING. EVERYONE. CONFORMS. TO. YOU.

The spice cubes are wonderful for thematic sense. Wooden cubes are dirt cheap at hobby sites - e.g. https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/game-pieces...

There's no reason for the designer to compromise their vision to cater to 5% of players - especially when they're counting on the resource colours carrying over for people who wish to combine the first and second game.

Stop demanding everyone else gets a worse product just because it would satisfy you. Buy a handful of spare cubes and let everyone else have their spices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulminati wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

The spice cubes are wonderful for thematic sense. Wooden cubes are dirt cheap at hobby sites - e.g. https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/game-pieces...

There's no reason for the designer to compromise their vision to cater to 5% of players - especially when they're counting on the resource colours carrying over for people who wish to combine the first and second game.

Stop demanding everyone else gets a worse product just because it would satisfy you. Buy a handful of spare cubes and let everyone else have their spices.

The cubes, I can agree with.

But they're printed on the cards on those colours too. That could certainly be changed with icons/shapes that make it more clear what things are - Just colour is a bad way to distinguish things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulminati wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

This is not about preference. I literally could not play The Spice Road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Doyle
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I agree that just color is an awful way to handle game mechanics and, anymore, is negligent design from the developers. There are dozens of examples of ways to handle these mechanics for color blind/deficient players, from different shaped pieces to putting letters or symbols on the pictures of the cubes or having separate storage areas for the resources. Its specifically disappointing since this team totally nailed everything else on this game from mechanics to theme, art and production quality, but just neglected to add some identification for the 2.5-3% of the population who want to play this game and just cannot. And I feel bad having to spray paint and sharpie up games, but the only other choice is to not play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulminati wrote:

How do you feel about architects compromising their vision to make buildings wheelchair accessible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Have you tried Kashgar: Merchants of the Silk Road? It has the same theme with definetely better mechanics and there is no green icon there. white/black/pink/red/brown and different spices are played in different places on contract cards and resource tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Cappaert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not colorblind but I teach a class on visuals in learning materials.

Here's a perfectly good color palette with 12 color choices. Still plenty of choices, so it's unlikely to lessen the experience or immersion of the non-color blind:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulminus Maximus
msg tools
Shampoo4you wrote:
Ulminati wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

And I offered you a wonderful alternative. For a few bucks you can buy a bunch of wood cubes in whichever colour you like and make substitutions. I'm sure there are other games you're badgering the designers about --
for a <$10 investment in a hobby shop you can solve your colour deficiency on your own and nobody else has to conform to your preference.

One of my best friends is nearsighted enough to be legally blind. Do we demand everyone uses large font on the cards in every game? No. We scan the annoying mini cards, print them out larger, sleeve the prints. Boom. Game works for him even with his handicap, and publishers doesn't have to cater to a minute fraction of their players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulminati wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
Ulminati wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

And I offered you a wonderful alternative. For a few bucks you can buy a bunch of wood cubes in whichever colour you like and make substitutions. I'm sure there are other games you're badgering the designers about --
for a <$10 investment in a hobby shop you can solve your colour deficiency on your own and nobody else has to conform to your preference.

One of my best friends is nearsighted enough to be legally blind. Do we demand everyone uses large font on the cards in every game? No. We scan the annoying mini cards, print them out larger, sleeve the prints. Boom. Game works for him even with his handicap, and publishers doesn't have to cater to a minute fraction of their players.

Is there a reason the game HAS to be red/green/brown?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sushmeit M
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ulminati wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Wow. Relax a little.

If a colourblind person isn't going to raise an issue he actually faces, who is? You, a regular guy who's thinks he's going get a 'worse product' because an actual problem was brought up? He's not even dissing the game: he says he likes it but finds it functionally unplayable.

Man, be a part of the solution, or go chill somewhere.

Shapes was something they could've resorted to considering the accessibility of a game so popular. Production values in games have so gone beyond what cube-pushing resource-trading games used to have in the 2000s.

Spices? Yeah, right. Colour cubes is what they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C GX
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Well, they are the colors of the spices in the game, so game immersion and such.

But I agree that there has to be something else for the colorblinds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Golem as well so as to be able to play. I prefer not to deface game components to accommodate but have done it on occasion (and someone *else* needs to do it for me BTW). Usually I don't just rely on images - I check out the game at a convention to see for myself.

Having said that, I'm baffled why game publishers don't at least consider the issue. Clarity of play is important and there are easy ways to resolve it - picking distinct colors is always possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Stanley
United States
Gloucester City
NEW JERSEY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not really on board with the over the top reaction of the OP in this thread..

Maybe something simple like a symbol in the cube icon on the cards could help? (an X, a circle, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulminus Maximus
msg tools
Shampoo4you wrote:

1: It's the colour of the spices.
2: If people want to combine it with spice road, the components would need to be the same colour to avoid confusion
3: Aging shapes/symbols to every cube would clash with two and drive production/game cost up for everyone
4: As I stated multiple times, a cheap solution (get your own replacement cubes) exists that doesn't require 95%+ of people to pay more or have clashing games when combining.

As an added bonus, you can use those replacement cubes in other games instead of pestering every game designer who happens to use both red and green
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Perhaps it would help to contact an organisation such as this:

http://www.naacbp.org

to seek advice and guidance on the best ways to approach board game publishers with suggestions for how to make games colour-blind friendly that still remain true to their game vision/design and keep costs down. Perhaps enlist their assistant to reach out to publishers as an organisation, in addition to rallying others with the same issue to take to snail mail and social media campaigns encouraging publishers to make an effort to create games that do not exclude the colour blind.

Here's an idea. I believe it's the case that there are instances where colour blind people can distinguish between things where non colour blind people cannot. As an educational tool, perhaps design a simple game that only colour blind people can play, bring it to a table of board game designers, etc, at a games con without saying anything about colour issues, and then after their surprise/disappointment at being unable to make head or tails of it because it all looks the same to them, explain this is how 4.5% of game buyers feel about red/green game components and launch into your pitch for alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulminati wrote:

Oh man, I am with you! I don't want anyone, ever, considering the needs of others, ESPECIALLY if they are in the minority. Not even if it wouldn't affect me at all. Just the fact that someone might consider someone else just frustrates me SO MUCH.

What is this world coming to when the majority of us have to give up SO LITTLE to meet the needs of others? WHERE WILL IT ALL END???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best solution would be to keep the colors of the cubes and the cards as they are to match the first game, but instead of the wood cubes make shapes of each spice instead of cubes . Also they could have pictures of the spices on the cards instead of the cubes. A deluxe upgrade kit ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulminati wrote:

You're aware that making components easier to tell apart helps everybody, right? Adding subtle icons or patterns to cards and using different shapes or sizes of cubes makes it better even for us fully-sighted people in dim light or after a long day. Making life better for some folks is not a zero-sum game, and often helps other folks who didn't require the help but can benefit from it. Go read about the Curb-Cut Effect in this summary, or in more detail, the original article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Tome
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I feel like even future prints of Century Spice Road could be quickly improved into becoming colorblind friendly. The resources printed in the cards could have different shapes, textures or small complementary icons, even if the components in the box are still cubes. That even gives more flexibility for the consumer to buy/manufacture custom "deluxe" components to be used instead of the cubes, and everyone's happy.

As an example, the second printing of Splendor improved upon the first one just by adding small icons of the jewels next to the resources areas.

Although I imagine this can be tricky in the case of Eastern Wonders due to the tile's size, I think it's worth investigating such approaches for both games (and future ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roven Blake
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why cannot the publisher just print few hundred copies of the game in colors that are suitable for colorblind people? Is it really so expensive to redesign few colors?

This customized version of the game can be available for example only at publisher’s web site, so there is no need to spend additional money on advanced logistics or shipping to local stores.

Not only it will solve the discussed problem, but it could strengthen the brand of the publisher by showing an interest in customers’ needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.