Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the Docking Failure Chart? The MISSIONS_Charts.pdf available in the files mentions table O for Docking failures, but there is no such table. There's only the entry in the Simple Failure Table. It'd be nice to have a flavourful table like with the other failures (like G).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that there is a docking failure chart. You gain your experience, whether from success or failure, and move to the next mission step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug1020 wrote:
I don't think that there is a docking failure chart. You gain your experience, whether from success or failure, and move to the next mission step.

That indeed seems to be the case. Maybe the author of MISSIONS_Charts.pdf uses a home-made failure chart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found a Docking Failure Chart (O) and a few other good ideas in this forum thread: https://www.thespacerace.com/forum/index.php?topic=2115.15

I've also carefully read the old errata found here: http://grognard.com/errata1/liftoff.html

Finally, I've stumbled on this document: http://sob-zine.org/PlayerAids/Liftoff%20Mars%20Landing.pdf, which proposes to extend Liftoff!...to Mars! That would be a truly epic game.

Here is the chart I will use:

O – Docking (Docking Module or Capsule/Module)

Astronaut saving rolls apply.

Docking failure: When the docking target is a manned lunar module and the docking fails, each member of the module's crew must make an Emergency EVA (at half the Safety Factor, rounded up) to return to the capsule. If all the crew make it safely, the mission continues.

If missions IIIc–e are scrubbed, proceed to Earth De-Orbital Burn; missions VIIb and VIII proceed to Lunar Mission Burn.

* 01-80 Docking mechanism fails to latch. Roll d10:
** 1-3 Repeated tries succeed in getting 'capture'. Continue with mission.
** 4-0 All attempts fail. Docking failure. If more docking steps were planned, the mission is scrubbed.
* 81-00 Collision! Roll d10:
** 1-4 Target spacecraft is damaged. Docking failure. A module suffers a 25% penalty to its G safety check (missions IIIe, VIIb). Mission VIII: if this occurs before the Lunar Landing attempt, there is a 50% chance the mission must be scrubbed because the damage is too extensive; if the collision occurs after the lunar landing, the mission continues normally.
** 5-8 Both spacecraft are damaged. Docking failure. For a module, see 1-4 above; for a capsule, there is a 25% chance that ground control scrubs the mission. Minishuttle refurbishing will cost 1 MB extra (in addition to eventual Q failure costs). Roll d10:
*** 1-5 The capsule suffers a 25% penalty to its Recovery (D/Q) safety check
*** 6-8 The capsule suffers a 20% penalty to later Docking (O) safety checks
*** 9-0 The capsule suffers a 15% penalty to later Orbital Activities (G) safety checks.
** 9-0 Both spacecraft destroyed in a high-speed collision. Mission is a failure. If manned, it is a catastrophic failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lootron wrote:
If you have the rulebook could you scan and upload it? The guy has no plans and doesn't sell it anymore. Please share it with the few of us.

I know it's unrelated but this place is deserted and this is the only recent post. I'm just saying the game is dead and there isn't really anymore copyright on it.

Sadly, BGG takes a more legalistic view on the thing and copyright takes a long time to lapse (several decades past the author's demise). I will share privately, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.