DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Multiverse Box» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
flag msg tools
I finally got to try this (three-player) yesterday. As expected, it was a LOT of fun!

We had Shazam v Rorschach v Ozymandias. I was Oz, and my Champions were China White, Icicle, and Wonder Woman. I had Earth-2, which was difficult to trigger, so I didn’t get a lot of attacks off. Eventually I lost my first two Champions. The other two players also lost their first Champion, so my left opponent took out Braniac so the third player wouldn’t win when he defeated my Wonder Woman.

Finally, my Champion fell, and I was forced to leave Earth-2. I still had Bizarro World, though, and frequently played random cards. Rorschach took out Shazam’s Second Champion, and the end was near. Shazam tried to muster the strength to defeat Telos, but fell short. Rorschach was down to one card in hand, but Futures End had Crisis 2 in the Event Line-Up. A Time Travel Ganthet and a variety of cards took Rorschach from a one-card hand to a hand-picked selection that spelled doom for Shazam’s last Champion. Rorschach and the heroes of Hub City celebrated their victory over the alternate dimensions.

My concerns about the randomizers and playing cards from random sets turned out to be fairly manageable. The “pick a base set” abilities caused a little analysis paralysis, especially for players who are unfamiliar with what “might be” in each base set (despite our continued insistence that every base set has a variety of cards and effects). However, it was not too hard to sort the cards at the end and store it away. Also, the game length was fairly reasonable, as we just had to wait for one player to reliably generate 10-12 Power to win. As with many of the DC Deck Building game modes, it’s probably not for everyone, but it’s a fun way to see some crazy card interactions in a unique format.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.