Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hour of the Huntress is the first of a series of novellas published by Fantasy Flight Games to provide background and context for the "investigator" protagonists of the "Arkham Files" games, which are rooted in the horror-adventure milieu originally developed in the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game and the Arkham Horror cooperative board game. (Later games include Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game, Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, and Arkham Horror: The Card Game.) Although set in Lovecraft's imaginary Massachusetts college town of Arkham and related locales, and drawing heavily on pulp-era yog-sothothery, these games also incorporate other horror literature and have some enduring elements of their own invention.

This substantial novella in ten chapters details the introduction of investigator Jenny Barnes to Arkham. Jenny is a young sophisticate who has been living as an ex-pat in Paris, and has returned to the US in search of her younger sister Izzy (Isabelle) after a worrying interruption in their correspondence. The story includes Jenny's acquisition of her trademark twin .45 pistols as she picks up the traces of what appears to be a murderous secret cult. The story is fast-paced and interesting, and more importantly for players of the games, the characters are well-drawn.

After the text of the novella, the book includes eleven glossy color pages "reproducing" relevant news clippings, brochures, lecture notes, police reports, memos, letters, scholarly articles, and so forth, all in fragmentary form. Attractively presented with considerable verisimilitude, these texts are somewhat variable in the plausibility of their content. The translated page from the Necronomicon is notably disappointing, with its repeated grammatical errors, especially as its central prose conceits are rather good.

The book came with a tiny suite of cards to provide some additional options for the Jenny Barnes character to players of Arkham Horror: The Card Game. In terms of game efficiency, these seem slightly inferior to the ones that were originally issued in the Dunwich Legacy expansion. Still, they do add some variety. I've heard completist game collectors say that they felt obliged somehow to buy the book just in order to get these cards, and I'll say they're not worth the price of the book. However, if you are a player of one of these games and like the Jenny Barnes investigator already, I would recommend the book as a fun read in itself that should enhance your affection for the game character. Readers uninterested in the games may still get some real pleasure out of the story, if they are willing to allow a bit of heroism to intrude on the cosmic despair of pristine yog-sothothery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an easy pass if the cards are not that good. From what I've read the writing is rather poor and serviceable.
Also, I've never played Jenny and if I did would have enough time to try her alternate set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I wasn't considering getting this but I was curious about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
The book wasn't a blockbuster, but it was worth the read and the extra cards. I'm looking forward to the next one.

I finally got a copy of the Arkham Investigators book and am enjoying it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coulter Boggle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
fee_weasel wrote:
The book wasn't a blockbuster, but it was worth the read and the extra cards. I'm looking forward to the next one.

I finally got a copy of the Arkham Investigators book and am enjoying it as well.

I completely agree. It was a fun quick read that gave more depth to Jenny. I don't regret the $15 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a great read. I hope we get to see more of these characters in future novellas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anybody know if those novellas and cards will be published in other languages?
Any experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have published in Russian, but I assume that each country/language is a fully separate story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.