Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What gripes do you have related to gaming in 2017?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That after preordering:

nearly seven years ago, and

nearly two years ago, none of them have materialized, despite B:AGS sitting at 549 orders, B:AGC at 525, and B:AGN at a whopping 719! They've all got over 500 orders, and yet, another year has passed with no sign of these games on the horizon... I'm absolutely a GMT fanboy, but I have to say, this is my biggest gripe...again!

Also, you forgot this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I played less than 1% of the games I wanted to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey wrote:
I played less than 1% of the games I wanted to play.

Same, but that means I also had a very bad gaming year. Getting double digit plays in a month this year has been almost impossible (January 11, February 10, November 10; March 0; Only 6 games this month so far), and many games are light fillers.

A shame that my wife doesn't like wargames, but I can get her to play cooperatively with me. My messed up schedule means that I cannot even find a group to play with.

Also, GMT needs to stop putting out so many great games - what good is it to buy all these awesome games if I never get to play? (...but I wish they'd hurry up with Ariovistus to expand Falling Sky; I need more German pieces to use with a piece mod for Pendragon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:
Re: The Festivus "Airing of Grievances"

BGG needs a Festivus microbadge.

I thought I saw somebody with one

Maybe not, just did a search for one but turned up nada. I could have sworn I saw someone a long time ago with a "Festivus for the rest of us" microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

Biggest gripe, which affects more than just gaming, it that actually having a job which pays enough to set aside for retirement seems more and more like a full time occupation.

By "full time," I mean work _all_ the time; if I'm awake, I'm on the clock. If it's not directly billable, it's career development on my "own" time, to keep up with the technology changes and stay relevant.

I'm exploring the notion of working part time, which in my industry means I could get away with a 40 hour week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-- Made friends with a cool dude in my town who wants to play wargames.
-- Taught him Victory in the Pacific, Up Front, Squad Leader, and several Columbia block games.
-- Found a gaming group in our community on facebook.
--Attended Bottoscon 2017 and had a a fabulous three days of gaming.

Oh...grievances!

Yeah. I got nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sapa inca wrote:
What gripes do you have related to gaming in 2017?

folks who continue to slag people trying to contribute to the greater hobby of gaming just because it doesn't conform to their narrow, hidebound definitions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not enough Calandale videos this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That I couldn't come up with any legit gripes. First World Problems? I'll start working on some 2018 grievances earlier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Friends not having enough time for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd (or higher) editions of games that do not include the availability of an upgrade kit for initial edition purchasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest gripe is that I travelled all the way to New York City to make a proposition to Great One to leave that backwards hick town for the upscale, glamor of the sprawling cosmopolitan metropolis of Wichita, Ks. I promised an efficient heat pump for his house and a playtester for his games and Kathy Bates-inspired adulation and he turned me down cold. Can ya believe that?

Other than that my other gripe was that it is more difficult to read rules without glasses. I had 20/80 vision when I was 14. Through the years, I improved it to 20/30 and ditched the glasses. I enjoyed that for 2 years and now I have to use them to read: grrrrr. It’s hell to get old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb

The text on the counters are getting so small I now have difficulty reading them except in a very good light.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I should be wearing glasses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough HAMTAG videos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Nutmegistan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that have half-inch counters that don't need tiny little half-inch counters, like pretty much every area movement game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
That after preordering:

nearly two years ago, none of them have materialized, despite B:AGS sitting at 549 orders, B:AGC at 525, and B:AGN at a whopping 719! They've all got over 500 orders, and yet, another year has passed with no sign of these games on the horizon... I'm absolutely a GMT fanboy, but I have to say, this is my biggest gripe...again!

Also, you forgot this...

I think this is a combination of two things. First, 500 orders has never been a guarantee of a game being published. If it crosses that threshold it usually gets printed, but there is no guarantee of when. Second, I am not sure if all the development/redesign work has been completed for these titles. From what I understand its a pretty large undertaking to bring them up to the same series ruleset and incorporate any counter corrections - these games came out quite some time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My gripe is the combination of mounted boards without creasing box size. GMT, I'm looking at you. Time of Crisis looks awesome, but you cannot sleeve the cards, use a counter tray for units, and fit everything back in the box.

My preference is for paper maps, as they play better with plexi and poster frames and thus smaller boxes which means a higher density of games for those of us who base the size of our current collections on shelf space. Maybe mounted maps attract Euro or strategy game players, there certainly seem to be regular complaints from folks who want pimped out components at this price point but have no clue of the lack of economies of scale in this hobby. The heavy cardstock variety seem to be an excellent compromise.

Too many wargames don't fit back in the box well. And too many of them have been from GMT. Love you guys, have probably paid for a semester of college for Gene's kids with all of the games I've bought from you since Hornet Leader, but it's becoming a problem. Bigger boxes or thinner maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Mounted maps should be an automatic 3" box, even if its only a single countersheet. For Time of Crisis, I used ziplock bags, since the counters aren't that hard to sort and the lid barely fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gripe is rules quality. Several of the games I have been playing recently have some not so minor ambiguities and/or omissions. Really detracts from the experience as much of the first couple plays are slowed by rereading passages, evaluating interpretations, searching the forums, posting a question and then waiting for a possible answer.

With 80 guhjillion games in queue, it is hard to expend the effort necessary to plow through the rules and then get several reps under your belt to decide if there is a good game in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
I think this is a combination of two things. First, 500 orders has never been a guarantee of a game being published. If it crosses that threshold it usually gets printed, but there is no guarantee of when. Second, I am not sure if all the development/redesign work has been completed for these titles. From what I understand its a pretty large undertaking to bring them up to the same series ruleset and incorporate any counter corrections - these games came out quite some time ago.

Isn't the East Front Series in the midst of a major redesign? That's what I heard from a friend after he played it at ConsimWorld Expo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No significant gaming gripes here.
It's a great time to be a wargamer.
I may not prefer this kind of map or that colour on a counter, but these are inconsequential blips in the grand scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
That after preordering:

Also, you forgot this...

GMT should take over this series, because MMP just can't get anything out the door on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Beaudway
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wargaming pal moved out of state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
GMT should take over this series, because MMP just can't get anything out the door on time.

Err... The East Front Series is from GMT, not MMP.

Silly me, it was a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.