Subject: Solo play - Best characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bram Warrens
Netherlands
Goes
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I want to play the game solo, what are the best characters to play with? I've 6 characters and 7 scenarios. I haven't played the game yet, so it's my first time. Maybe different characters are more suitable with different scenarios. Can someone rate the characters in how well they play in solo? Thank you.

- Carpenter
- Explorer
- Cook
- Soldier
- Sailor
- Missionary

Edit: in the different manuals I've read that the soldier and missionary are not suitable for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the scenario.

For Castaways and Cursed Island the Carpenter is probably better due to his ability to save wood when building.

If playing something that needs hunting/fightig like Cannibal Island the soldier is actually pretty good.

But if you are new to the game i would recommend playing 2 characters solo. Start with Carpenter/Explorer or Carpenter/Cook. Dont forget to arrange the Camp early and often to keep morale up and use those specisl abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What George said; different scenarios will require different characters depending on the challenges.

There's no rush, right? Why not play each character and get a feel for what they can do and what they are sub-optimal at? It'll take you a while to overcome all the fiddly nature of the game anyway. May as well gain some wholesome knowledge as you go so that when everything levels out, you'll have mastered all the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, understand that you will lose allot.
Even playing with the "more useful" ability characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
Also, understand that you will lose allot.
Even playing with the "more useful" ability characters.

Small correction; you will lose a lot until you figure out how to win.
The game is full of "trap" options (stuff that you can do that might seem like useful in theory, but will cost you the game in practice)

If you build an "engine" properly early on (i.e. spend actions on stuff that keep giving you actions/resources/determination every turn) you will win most scenarios most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always select my solo character by random draw....so I just respond to the challenge that I am given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive never played with the Sailor nor the Missionary.

But from my experience, what I can say about the 4 base game characters is that although some may look more fitted than others for specific scenarios, it is practically not true.

The question you rise is very difficult to answer because of the multiples variations of the game.
Some people may think Carpenter is better for Castaways because he allows to save wood for the pile, they are right in a way that it is probably one of the safest (but not the only) strategy to consider to win Castaways.
The thing is you could probably win almost as easily (Ive done it for most scenarios) with a different character playing a different strategy. Explorer is also very useful in Castaways, to help you find quickly the appropriate terrain to set camp and build hatchet (let alone Shortcut...), Cook can help you deal with bad weather so save build roof actions and is a good gatherer, Soldier can save also wood by finding furs when hunting, etc...

The awesomeness of this game is that you can win with theoretically all characters any scenario, providing you have the correct strategy, make good use of his abilities, and of course have a bit of luck.

From my solo experience of the game, I thought for example that the best fitted character for Volcano was the Explorer, though I still havn't win with him after 6+ tries, and only won Volcano with the Cook (and maybe Carpenter, I think) ! Weird isnt it ?

There is maybe the Cannibal Island scenario, which I find easier to win with the Soldier, because his abilities perfectly match the goal of the scenario (but I was in another game 1 wound away to win with the Explorer as well !).

The Robinson Family scenario is a pain to win solo, took me about 11 tries... For this one also, I think the Carpenter is slightly advantaged to win (mostly because you need a lot of pawns to build all requested items, and his ability allows to save some), but this scenario is so much luck dependent solo that you will probably loose a lot with any character because having the good strategy seems, at least to me, not enough to win this specific scenario (see this thread).

My advice for you would be to try each scenario with each character, and enjoy this great game. It doesn't really matter that you win or loose, the game always tells a different story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
My advice for you would be to try each scenario with each character, and enjoy this great game. It doesn't really matter that you win or loose, the game always tells a different story

I second this. For me a big part of playing games, especially games like RC, is the experience and discovery of how the game plays. Try different characters to discover for yourself the strengths and weaknesses of each character. Expect to lose but with each play through, you will find out what is needed for each scenario and your own familiarity with each character will let you recognize who's best to fit the job.
The game then becomes so much more involved and satisfying when you understand the nuances of the game and characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.