Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread discussing Dorra's 2p variant for moving the Valletta figure devolved, so I figured I'd post this here.

slickerdrips wrote:
After playing our first two player game, we wondered if de Vallette could be made to move a bit more because he barely got halfway down the track by the end of our game. Luckily, designer Stefan Dorra has already posted a variant on his site that we'll be using from now on:

The game for two players
In the game for two players, only 13 barrel tokens are used. These are placed on the odd spaces of the road (1, 3, 5, ... 25). When Jean de Valette is played, the violet meeple is always moved up to the next barrel.

VARIANT TO THE VARIANT:

I wonder if things would be thrown off by instead positioning barrels on two of the spaces between each of the area borders (i.e. on 2 and 4, 7 and 9, 12 and 14, 17 and 19, 22 and 24), and then an additional barrel ON THE AREA BORDER between spaces 5 and 6, 15 and 16, and then on space 25. The player who moves Valletta onto one of the "border" barrels would then position him either just before or just after the border to indicate the section to which he will be giving his bonus.

In this manner, it would not be predetermined that Valletta will spend more time in the 1st, 3rd and 5th columns than in the 2nd and 4th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyjason wrote:
The thread discussing Dorra's 2p variant for moving the Valletta figure devolved, so I figured I'd post this here.

slickerdrips wrote:
After playing our first two player game, we wondered if de Vallette could be made to move a bit more because he barely got halfway down the track by the end of our game. Luckily, designer Stefan Dorra has already posted a variant on his site that we'll be using from now on:

The game for two players
In the game for two players, only 13 barrel tokens are used. These are placed on the odd spaces of the road (1, 3, 5, ... 25). When Jean de Valette is played, the violet meeple is always moved up to the next barrel.

VARIANT TO THE VARIANT:

I wonder if things would be thrown off by instead positioning barrels on two of the spaces between each of the area borders (i.e. on 2 and 4, 7 and 9, 12 and 14, 17 and 19, 22 and 24), and then an additional barrel ON THE AREA BORDER between spaces 5 and 6, 15 and 16, and then on space 25. The player who moves Valletta onto one of the "border" barrels would then position him either just before or just after the border to indicate the section to which he will be giving his bonus.

In this manner, it would not be predetermined that Valletta will spend more time in the 1st, 3rd and 5th columns than in the 2nd and 4th.

I could see this being interesting providing some additional decision points in the game. A simpler alternative could be instead of the two tokens, a single token on the border between each section then he gives bonuses for both sections while he's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:

I could see this being interesting providing some additional decision points in the game. A simpler alternative could be instead of the two tokens, a single token on the border between each section then he gives bonuses for both sections while he's there.

Twas my first thought, but I preferred the "additional decision" and the tighter/asymmetrical scoring opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.