Subject: New Art Direction Terrible?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious. Why did you feel the need to drastically change the art style on the tech cards? From the rule book, the tech card art looks extremely cartoony. There's nothing wrong with the art; however it is a drastic departure from the art in the base game and previous two expansions. Why the sudden shift? Wouldn't the contrasting art styles clash severely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's really big change, they're not even remotely similar :/

But sometimes it happens if the original artist is unavailable or too expensive. I really wish the expansion would have been a Kickstarter, I would have gladly paid more to get matching or near-matching art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob Thwarton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, Happy Holidays Seth!!!

In all seriousness, this thread really bums me out. Count me in the camp that:
- appreciates designers who regularly post on this site
- thinks the art looks good
- is happy to see another expansion for a great game
- am probably never going to mix the expansions often anyway
- if I do mix, I’ll likely not often just be staring at the pairing of two cards side by side

Could we at least delete “terrible” from the title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spoke with seth about the new art and he told me it was simply due to time constraints. The original artist was not available, so they had to go with someone else.

I know that some people never like changing but...is it really terrible? Does it detract you from the gaming experience? I prefer the "old" art, but it is certainly not to the level that I will not play with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
I spoke with seth about the new art and he told me it was simply due to time constraints. The original artist was not available, so they had to go with someone else.

I know that some people never like changing but...is it really terrible? Does it detract you from the gaming experience? I prefer the "old" art, but it is certainly not to the level that I will not play with it.

I don't think it is terrible. But it is COMPLETELY different. As if Scythe would suddenly have art from Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makes it feel half assed and rushed as aoney grab. Not the end of the world but very unfortunate. It's always a shame when a great game from a great designer and company has poor presentation like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allowishes wrote:

No.

Technically it's "Terrible??". I agree with you. The title of this thread bums me out, too. While I don't think the art is terrible, it is drastically different enough that it warrants mention to prospective buyers.

Publishers don't get a free pass on criticism on their products for previous releases or for having great customer service. The idea of this expansion is GREAT. I love it. For me, it was the missing link to completing the dream that EmDo could be TI: the card game. And yeah, it's been slightly tarnished by the new art design choice. It just looks rushed. As one of the TMG Originals, you would think they would have put a little more time into it. Or at the very least run a kickstarter. I would have gladly paid a little more for better art.

I was planning to buy this expansion, but now I'm on the fence. And it is solely because of the art.

To quote my friend earlier in the week after reading the rules:

I expect to see the M.Bison lookalike on the tech cards. Now he looks like he's from the Asterix & Obelix universe. What?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main artists we had used for previous EmDo expansions were no longer available, and I wanted a consistent look within this set. Brian Patterson did all of the illustrations, and yes, he has a sort of cartoony style.

Many of the previous cards are a little bit cartoony, and there's a mix of styles from 5 or 6 different artists in them, so I don't think there will be much of a problem adding these new tech cards into the mix.

And as for the cartoony-ness of them, I kind of wanted that -- to an extent, Oblivion is a parody of government, and most of the time government could best be described as "cartoony."

I think Brian did a great job with these illustrations, I like that the expansion art is internally consistent, and I don't think there'll be any problems incorporating this set into the base game (or playing it with previous sets) based on that, but YMMV.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Winkleblech
United States
Brownsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I’ve played all of the Eminent Domain games. For me personally the art of Oblivion works. I’m excited to see how it will play with the base game and later potentially with the other expansions. I’ll have to wait until my pre order comes in to see how everything looks together, but the art is not detracting from my excitement about the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Allowishes wrote:
- if I do mix, I’ll likely not often just be staring at the pairing of two cards side by side

This. How many Oblivion tech cards—and it's just the techs, not the new planets or agendas or Political Influence tile—do people think they'll be looking at every game? Maybe two or three, at the most, at a typical moment? Myself, I will somehow find the strength to endure this great trial.

Allowishes wrote:

At least it's a question. "Terrible??" Nah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naoki Lau
Hong Kong
Tsuen Wan
New Territories
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, with the hero losing many muscles in "Exotica", it no longer surprises me with the new look / art direction in "Oblivion".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naoki wrote:
Well, with the hero losing many muscles in "Exotica", it no longer surprises me with the new look / art direction in "Oblivion".

I have no idea what this means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Naoki wrote:

I have no idea what this means.

The M. Bison character has been losing muscle mass over the years.

Escalation: Military Victory & Elevated Incentives
Exotica: Coalition Victory
Oblivion: Wheel & Deal, Campaign Trail, Targeted Lobbying, Executive Order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
msg tools
New art looks terrible. Please get the original artist back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Void2258 wrote:
New art looks terrible. Please get the original artist back.

That ship has sailed, my friend. Hopefully quite literally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.