7 Posts

Small World: Sky Islands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Clarifications and Interaction Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Renner
United States
flag msg tools
I had a chance to play 2 games with this expansion today - one with 3 players and one with 4 players - and saw all of the new special powers and races chosen and played at some point. Of course this led to some questions regarding rule clarifications and interaction between the new races and special powers with previously released races and special powers. Here's what I have so far:

Storm Giants:

- "Storm Giants' first conquest can be in the Sky Islands." I'm assuming this means only their first conquest onto the board can be in the Sky Islands, and not that each turn, their first conquest can be in the Sky Islands. Is that correct?

- Regarding the lightning bolts: "Each of these tokens allow the conquest of any mountain region by using a single race token." Am in correct in understanding this means the mountains conquered do not need to be adjacent to a region one already occupies?

Zeppelined:

The rules state that the burning region side of the special tokens is "immune to conquests and racial or special powers until the beginning of your next turn." If one's conquest is successful, does one place a zeppelin token in the conquered region - zeppelin side up - making the region immune until next turn? If not, does one just use them to keep track of how many successful zeppelin attacks have occurred by setting them aside after using one?

Scavengers and Igors:

- Since in decline race tokens remain in a region after the Scavengers conquer it, I assume the Igors, if in play, don't receive any generic tokens to compensate for this. However, the rules state: "The In Decline Race tokens are discarded when the region is conquered by another race or when the Scavengers go in decline. Since the Igor rules state they "collect all race tokens lost in conquest," I assume the In Decline Race tokens go to the Igors when the region is conquered by another race, even though the word "discarded" is used. But do the In Decline Race tokens go to the Igors when the Scavengers go in decline?

Wendigos and Shrubmen:

- I assume Shrubmen's immunity in forest supersedes the Wendigo's ability to "choose a Forest Region anywhere on the board to clear.

Airborne and Copycat:

- Can the Copycat ability be used on Airborne even if it isn't the Copycat players first turn with their race? I also assume it can only be copied one time, like Wealthy.

Racketeering and Copycat:

- Could one use the Copycat ability on Racketeering on the turn they go in decline in order to get their next race free, but only if the Racketeering race remains unchosen until one's next turn when they pick their new race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ry4Christ wrote:

Storm Giants:

- "Storm Giants' first conquest can be in the Sky Islands." I'm assuming this means only their first conquest onto the board can be in the Sky Islands, and not that each turn, their first conquest can be in the Sky Islands. Is that correct?

Correct. Also, if they abandon all the regions and re-enter the board, they should be able to re-enter on the Sky Islands board, just like how Halflings work.
Quote:

- Regarding the lightning bolts: "Each of these tokens allow the conquest of any mountain region by using a single race token." Am in correct in understanding this means the mountains conquered do not need to be adjacent to a region one already occupies?

Yes. The French version even has that clarification in parentheses.
Quote:

Zeppelined:

The rules state that the burning region side of the special tokens is "immune to conquests and racial or special powers until the beginning of your next turn." If one's conquest is successful, does one place a zeppelin token in the conquered region - zeppelin side up - making the region immune until next turn? If not, does one just use them to keep track of how many successful zeppelin attacks have occurred by setting them aside after using one?

That part confused me as well. From a strict reading, the successful side of the Zeppelin token is never placed on the board. What we do, is the player gets all five tokens at the start of their turn, and then as they use them, they are either discarded (if successful) or placed on the board (if it failed).
Quote:

Scavengers and Igors:

- Since in decline race tokens remain in a region after the Scavengers conquer it, I assume the Igors, if in play, don't receive any generic tokens to compensate for this. However, the rules state: "The In Decline Race tokens are discarded when the region is conquered by another race or when the Scavengers go in decline. Since the Igor rules state they "collect all race tokens lost in conquest," I assume the In Decline Race tokens go to the Igors when the region is conquered by another race, even though the word "discarded" is used. But do the In Decline Race tokens go to the Igors when the Scavengers go in decline?

Good questions. I would assume they don't.
Quote:

Wendigos and Shrubmen:

- I assume Shrubmen's immunity in forest supersedes the Wendigo's ability to "choose a Forest Region anywhere on the board to clear.

Correct.
Quote:

Airborne and Copycat:

- Can the Copycat ability be used on Airborne even if it isn't the Copycat players first turn with their race? I also assume it can only be copied one time, like Wealthy.

It can copy Airborne, but that would be useless because the Airborne ability only works on the very first turn of the Copycat race, like Wealthy.
Quote:

Racketeering and Copycat:

- Could one use the Copycat ability on Racketeering on the turn they go in decline in order to get their next race free, but only if the Racketeering race remains unchosen until one's next turn when they pick their new race?

Good question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Renner
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you for your insight! I'm glad to hear someone else interpreted most things as I did. That's awesome that you were able to provide help based on the rules in French. Now if we can just get some official confirmation regarding the Scavengers/Igors and Copycat/Racketeering interactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My takes (though it's not obviously official by any means):

Igors/Scavengers
Yup, lost during conquest is the key word.
SO, Igors get tokens if a race takes over the region via normal conquest or with a special power/perk. Igors do NOT get any tokens via Scavengers going into decline. (Example with Elves, Igors do not collect from the elves as they didn't lose a token to combat AND naturally, when someone has 2 in decline races on the board, the older ones just get removed)

Copycat/Racketeering:
I look at it in 2 ways and both are No:
(1) Copycat triggers at the beginning of the turn, yes, so I would assume you can choose Racketeering HOWEVER once you go in decline you lose Racketeering because you lost Copycat (as it doesn't have an in decline presence).
(2) Assuming you don't lose the power when you go into decline, when you choose a new race, it will effectively NOT be the beginning of your turn and time frame of copycat has been finished.

I simply have a problem with the way Copycat is worded, I dislike, "beginning of your turn" as you are allowed to pick during your first turn of choosing the race (which clearly wouldn't be at the start of your turn) (ex: choosing Wealthy turn 1 is allowed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Zeppelined, if you roll an empty side you lose two race tokens? One used in the attack and one unused one?

Also, Haggling, This line: You cannot give more Trade Pacts than the amount of Victory coins you owe though.
When would you use this? What is the significance of this line int he rules? You should have all your pacts back by the beginning of your turn. Is there a timing thing with paying what you owe? Wouldn't it be at the end of the player's turn that didn't attack you because they have to give you the pacts back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For Zeppelined, no. The player who rolled the die loses one of Zeppelined race tokens and the player who was attacked loses one from the attacked region and retrieves all the remaining ones from there.

For Haggling, if the player plays really really badly (it's highly unlikely, but could still happen) and ends up with fewer than 5 total victory points, if he was allowed to give all 5 of their Trade Pacts, they wouldn't be able to fully pay all the players with Trade Pacts because they don't have enough. That line is to avoid that: you can't give away more Trade Pacts than the number of coins you can give away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespert wrote:
For Haggling, if the player plays really really badly (it's highly unlikely, but could still happen) and ends up with fewer than 5 total victory points, if he was allowed to give all 5 of their Trade Pacts, they wouldn't be able to fully pay all the players with Trade Pacts because they don't have enough. That line is to avoid that: you can't give away more Trade Pacts than the number of coins you can give away.

Likely falls under bad play, BUT first round of the game, one could pay a Hefty amount for a race and not end their turn with more than their original 5 VPs.

A very likely situation:
Race set up:
Cursed (Race) (free race)
Haggling Escargot
Bad Pairing
Bad Pairing

You take Haggling Escargot, and you have 2 VPs left, but Haggling nor Escargot will score you points during your turn (or end of turn). Therefore you can only use up to 2 trade pacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.