Subject: Any lore? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, this is a weakly themed euro, like Terra Mystica. But in Terra Mystica most races are known fantasy tropes and their abilities fit - witches live in the forest and can reach far away places by broom flight, mermaids live in water and can swim etc.
For the races that aren't as known and also for the known races they had written a little blurb about them which further explains their abilities.

In gaia project, the races are purely invented, except for Terrans of course. Some might be based on existing tropes but we have no way to relate them to tropes except by the combination of name, image and ability. It seems like there is even greater reason to have blurbs like in TM, but there are none.

Even Terrans could use an explanation - why are they best at gaiaforming? Are gaia planets similar to terra planets? If so how comes everyone can settle them, even the ones whose home planets are far away from the terra?

What are gaia planets anyway? The word gaia is basically the same as terra, it's just greek vs roman mythology. But they are completely different planet types in the game.

Many questions need answers, will we ever get them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed not to get these blurbs too. A number of people have written about how they wish the "Mad Androids"/"The Swarm" names had been kept for a couple of factions in the English edition, and while I don't like to pile on, the reason those names are good is that they immediately give you an idea of who the faction are in a way that helps you understand their racial abilities in the game better. (Although it's still not clear thematically what's going on with the Mad Androids' planetary institute).

With a few of the races a good job has been done of making their character clear through the abilities and/or image: the Hadsch Hallas are clearly merchants and traders, for example, and the Ambas nomadic star wanderers. But there are others where you get no help at all (e.g. Itars), and some where mechanics and image actually seem to be in conflict: the mechanics of the Lantids, for example, would lead you to think they might be a race of parasites, but they appear to be some kind of benevolent...space moomins?

None of which really detracts from the game itself, but it seems like there was room for a bit more creativity here and it just feels a shame that it was missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
A number of people have written about how they wish the "Mad Androids"/"The Swarm" names had been kept for a couple of factions in the English edition

Haven't heard those names
Is there a correspondence key?

Edit: I've seen those names in other threads - "der schwarm" for the Ivits (makes sense, with their 1 federation they seem like a swarm/hivemind type race) and "mad androids" for the bescods (also makes sense - technology based with a... different way of doing things). Apparently "mad androids" is in English in the german edition too, which makes it even stranger that they changed it.

I don't see anything about other races who had their name changed so it sounds like other races had the same made-up names?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
I don't see anything about other races who had their name changed so it sounds like other races had the same made-up names?
Yes, these are the two they changed, and it's sufficiently annoying, as these were exactly these two factions which had names you could relate to their special abilities.

Maybe the English translator wanted to make sure that ALL factions had somewhat generic names? yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is funny with new names that at the start they mean nothing, but in a while they will mean something. We should refer to the factions with the new names, and soon it will all make sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Stones wrote:
It is funny with new names that at the start they mean nothing, but in a while they will mean something. We should refer to the factions with the new names, and soon it will all make sense

Oh what does this mean?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
Stones wrote:

Oh what does this mean?!

I figured he just meant that as time passes and we all play and discuss the game, we will develop mental impressions and associations for each faction, which we will then associate with the names of those factions. So that in a year's time, say, names like Geodens and Firaks won't feel like meaningless generic names.

I think he may be correct, but that said, I nevertheless strongly prefer names like The Swarm and Mad Androids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Maybe the English translator wanted to make sure that ALL factions had somewhat generic names? yuk

Funny, I think the names "The Swarm" and "Mad Androids" are much more generic (and to me, more bland) than Ivits and Bescods.

It's like calling Klingons "Angry Warriors" or Wookies "Hairy Tallmen".

To each their own. I prefer the English names, as I feel they are more interesting. But that's obviously personal preference, and either way wouldn't please everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can understand why the English translators changed the mad androids and the swarm - it's a bit more consistent this way.

You could have every alien with descriptive names, similar to Cosmic Encounter. This has an advantage that the alien "name" immediately evokes what it is supposed to be. But it is less thematic in some way. You can't imagine the aliens in the cosmic universe are actually called "trader", "clone", "pacifist", "loser"... So you are one more step removed from immersion in that universe.

Made-up in-universe names are good if they come with something else to help us understand the nature of that race. Which we don't have much of in Gaia Project...

It's also good to be consistent about it - use either in-universe names or descriptive out-of-universe names. Interestingly I think "the swarm" and possibly "mad androids" actually double as ok in-universe names. A hive mind swarm race will probably not have a name for themselves (they might not even have a language), so others might simply call them "the swarm". Mad androids are probably androids built by some other race and gone mad so they might simply be called "mad androids". This is less likely though as the androids were probably named by their creators or they may have invented another name for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
If the renaming was about a preference of newly invented bland consonant-vowel combos which are pronounceable and convey no message, then why keep Terrans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
If the renaming was about a preference of newly invented bland consonant-vowel combos which are pronounceable and convey no message, then why keep Terrans?

As I understand it the renaming was to make the names seem "in-universe". It makes sense to have humans called "terrans" by the races of that universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.