Pandemic: Rising Tide» Forums » Rules

Subject: rules for Pump Operator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rienk Jeeninga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The description of the ability of the PUMP OPERATOR seems a bit complicated thus I wonder if I am missing something; the description is

'When you do the Pump action, you may remove a water cube from an adjacent region instead of your own.
After removing this cube, you may remove 1 additional cube from your region.'

So why not 'when doing the pump action you may remove a water cube from an adjacent region as well'? Is this to indicate you can remove a cube from an adjacent region even if there are no cubes in your own region?

I am also unsure if it is optional to remove from your own rather than from the adjacent region in the first sentence (you may remove) or if it is mandatory that if you do the action like this, it has to be from the adjacent region. In other words, is it allowed to remove two cubes from your own region when using this abiliy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rienk wrote:
The description of the ability of the PUMP OPERATOR seems a bit complicated thus I wonder if I am missing something; the description is

'When you do the Pump action, you may remove a water cube from an adjacent region instead of your own.
After removing this cube, you may remove 1 additional cube from your region.'

So why not 'when doing the pump action you may remove a water cube from an adjacent region as well'? Is this to indicate you can remove a cube from an adjacent region even if there are no cubes in your own region?

Yes.

Quote:
I am also unsure if it is optional to remove from your own rather than from the adjacent region in the first sentence (you may remove) or if it is mandatory that if you do the action like this, it has to be from the adjacent region. In other words, is it allowed to remove two cubes from your own region when using this abiliy?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be worded that way to enable you to remove water from adjacent regions without doing so in the region you are in so that the region you are in can keep water for the pumping stations do do their work. If you are standing in a region that you need to keep wet in order to trace a path between a pumping station & the ocean, then you may prefer to clear other regions without spending actions for movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vand Lys
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, allowing you to take 2 cubes from your own region? If it wasn't Jeroen Doumen himself to confirm it I would have reasoned against it.

After reading it a couple more times I get it. Really strong ability!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rienk Jeeninga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeroen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Drury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Would this be clearer?

'When you do the Pump action, you may remove a water cube from your region or from an adjacent region.
After removing this cube, you may remove 1 additional cube from your region.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not completely confident I understand this ability. Are each of these valid ways to do the Pump action for the Pump Operator?

A. Remove 1 cube total (from my region)
B. Remove 1 cube total (from an adjacent region)
C. Remove 2 cubes total (one from my region and one from an adjacent region)
D. Remove 2 cubes total (both from my region)

It never would have occurred to me from the text as written that D was possible. (I came to this thread with a different question!) If A-D are all possible and if anyone is considering revising this text, then I would propose the following change:

Quote:
PROPOSED CHANGE
When you do the Pump action, you may remove a water cube from an adjacent region instead of your own.
After removing a cube with the Pump action, you may remove 1 additional cube from your region.

I thought only A-C were possible. I thought the bonus cube only applied if you did the Pump action on an adjacent region. My hangup was the phrase "After removing this cube ..." I thought "this cube" meant "a water cube from an adjacent region" from the first sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyhoyt wrote:
I'm still not completely confident I understand this ability. Are each of these valid ways to do the Pump action for the Pump Operator?

Yes, A-D are all possible. The space for text was limited...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyhoyt wrote:

It never would have occurred to me from the text as written that D was possible. (I came to this thread with a different question!) If A-D are all possible and if anyone is considering revising this text, then I would propose the following change:

Quote:
When you do the Pump action, you may remove a water cube from an adjacent region instead of your own.
After removing a cube with the Pump action, you may remove 1 additional cube from your region.

I thought only A-C were possible. I thought the bonus cube only applied if you did the Pump action on an adjacent region. My hangup was the phrase "After removing this cube ..." I thought "this cube" meant "a water cube from an adjacent region" from the first sentence.

The reason that D makes sense is if you parse the sentence.

First, "when you do the pump action". Taking a normal pump action removes one water cube from your region.

Second "you may remove one water cube from an adjacent region instead of your own" so, now you have an option. You can take one water cube from your region or from an adjacent region.

Third, "After removing a cube with the Pump action, you may remove 1 additional cube from your region."

Now this, so this part does not care at all if your first part took a cube from an adjacent region or your own and allows you to take one more cube from your region only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Justin, You are quoting my proposed changed, not the text as written. Sorry for the confusion. (I'll edit my comment to make that clearer.) This is the text from the role card:

Quote:
PUBLISHED ROLE CARD TEXT
After removing this cube, you may remove 1 additional cube from your region.

The confusion in the text as printed is, what does "this cube" refer to? It sounds to me like it is referring back to the cube described in the first sentence, the cube removed from an adjacent region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies, I don't have my copy in front of me and wasn't paying close enough attention.

Regardless the first sentence presents a choice of cubes to remove (your region or adjacent), so the "this cube" refers to the cube removed but isn't qualified in any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
-
flag msg tools
Quote:

I noticed the pump operator's ability doesn't follow the same rules/logic as the pumping station that you operate at the end of each turn.

In particular:

1. The pump operator's ability doesn't say you cannot remove a cube from an adjacent region when there is a dike between your region and the adjacent region.

2. Nor does it say the pump operator has to trace an uninterupted path of water cubes to the adjacent region.

So in the three examples below, the pump operator can remove a cube from Kennemerland ?

3. Neither does it say the pump operator must be in a region with one or more water cubes in order to remove a cube from an adjacent region.

So in the scenario below, the pump operator can, without moving, remove the cube in Roer en Overmaas?

She could move to Oost-Brabant (high elevation) and remove the cube from Roer en Overmaas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Quote:

I noticed the pump operator's ability doesn't follow the same rules/logic as the pumping station that you operate at the end of each turn.

In particular:

1. The pump operator's ability doesn't say you cannot remove a cube from an adjacent region when there is a dike between your region and the adjacent region.

2. Nor does it say the pump operator has to trace an uninterupted path of water cubes to the adjacent region.

So in the three examples below, the pump operator can remove a cube from Kennemerland ?

3. Neither does it say the pump operator must be in a region with one or more water cubes in order to remove a cube from an adjacent region.

So in the scenario below, the pump operator can, without moving, remove the cube in Roer en Overmaas?

She could move to Oost-Brabant (high elevation) and remove the cube from Roer en Overmaas?

Yes to all five examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jones
msg tools
mbmbmb
am I missing something? What's the difference among those first three photos involving Kennemerland? It looks like the same photo three times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.