Popular Tags: [View All]
Maximus Philipus
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this happened in my last game:

Sol attacked Saar, and Saar retreated using Skilled Retreat to a system with one empty Sol planet.

Sol then played Experimental Battle Station, allowing his Space Dock in an adjacent system to fire on the system the Saar retreated to.

Now there was some debate about wether he could play this card. Sol argued he could, because the AC states that he can play it during a tactical action when another player moves units into a system. So he would be able to play it during his own tactical action as well, since it's not specified on the AC who's tactical action it should be.

Was he correct in this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Experimental Battle Station says after another player moves ships into a system during a tactical action.

This is not the case in your example. So it could not have been played.
A) it's Sol's tactical action, not Saar's. This can only be played after the movement step of a tactical action. (yes this is a tactical action , but you are way past the movement step)
B) you are way past the movement step and PDS step of that tactical action. There is no Space Cannon step during a retreat. (even if you could play it, it would have no effect as Space Cannon has no effect during retreats)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximus Philipus
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so we played it correctly by not allowing Sol to play the card. I agree with your B point.

A thing about A, though: when you retreat a ship you also "move" it. It's just that this move happens outside of the Movement step, bit it's still a move. Therefore I don't necessarily agree with A. So in this instance I think the card could be played - but it would be useless since the Space Cannon step has already happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.