Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: First play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Myrbakken
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Me and my group are preparring for our first play of Here I Stand. I have sent the "Here I Stand in 20 minutes" document to every player, and sent them links to youtube videos for preperation. Here my question (and sorry if it's been answered elsewhere): should we choose our major powers now beforehand, or is it okey to wait till the game day? Also, two or three words of advice (not necessarily strategy-tips) for each major power would be appreciated. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's best to choose powers in advance - that way everyone can concentrate on learning the parts that most matter to them.

There are a couple of advice documents in the files section that could come in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Myrbakken
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Is there any power that is harder to play than others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hapsburg will be the 'busiest': with the most holdings, troops, etc all over the map and every other power will interact with them in one way or the other.
Would steer the most knowledgable player to this power.

Ottoman- most straightforward; little negotiation with other powers other than card event swaps. On land fights mainly Hapsburg and on sea pirates mainly Hapsburg/Papal/occasionally France with some amphibious operations thrown in there once in a while.

English- simple version; stay at home after trying to acquire Scotland(Edinburgh) from France. Roll on marriage table til you get Edward; hope the reformation comes to England in time and works: hope you have luck in exploration and really hope to get a smallpox conquest out during course of the game. Complex; go to war via your home card when needed to either stop someone else or give you the requiste points to go over the top.

France- try to avoid having more than one war against you per turn; assume this is the 500Aniversary edition here, so it's nice to maintain(get) Milan here for the additional modifier. If you get the opportunity to expand in Northern Italy, should really think on trying to exploit that; other than that have success in NewWorld...

Prot and Pope- give to players that like to roll dice and can count requisite things for their power...spaces, troops and the like.

So, my personal hardness scale goes:
Haps
Pope
Prot
France
England
Ottoman

Weakest military player actually should be England I think; as it's pretty hard for them to get beat on their home turf; Pope/Prot can also have a tough time if another power focuses on them; so they should seek assistance if that should arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My heavy games group is playing Here I Stand for the first time this Friday. We had a vote on whether people wanted pre-assigned nations or surpises. I think it was 4-2 in favor of knowing in advance.

I drew France, kind of the last nation I really want to play. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Myrbakken
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really helpfull! Thanks alot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.