Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » General

Subject: First Campaign help needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Andersson Franke
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hello

I'm about to start my first campaign and I will play the overlord. We have both altar of despair and well of darkness expansions that I want to include.

Firstly I'm thinking about hero choosing, is the draw 3 and choose 1 the best option. I was thinking about sorting the heroes into piles of warriors, rouge and mages and let them pick one pile and draw 2 and choose 1. Are there some op combinations I should look out for?

I don't want the "best" one, but more the one that is fun for the entire group. I'm thinking obsidian shackles so we get the final battle because that seems fun. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. Sorc king, deamon prince or the titan. The sorc king's final battle looks a bit booring so maybe I go with the eternal night on him. Titan and Prince either shackles or ascension for thematic reasons. Sorc king looks fun because of the extra threat and trap possibilities and I like skeletons as minions. The other 2 are cooler as bosses.

How does the overlord cards from the expansions work. I understand the ones with trecheary gems, but kobold swarm and the other ones that are new and without gems. Are they in or out or overlords choice?

Any potentional problems or NPE situations that should be avoided? Any general tips for making the campaign goo smoothly and being somewhat balanced and fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heros - I've go for the choose 3, pick 1 option.
Maybe allow one redraw.
Also remember the setup instructions remove some heroes and skills

OL - choose what looks fun to you..

Campaign - I'd remove the take the capital victory for the OL, or at least until Gold Level. Give the campaign a better chance to play out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only way this game can "break" is if the heroes get the upper hand early at copper and play very well and the OL cannot catch up.

The problem the is that while it can snowball either way, if it snowballs like that, the hero party cannot "rush" to the capital for victory, aka push for victory, instead they have to collect 600 conquest first.

I consider this the only real flaw of the game, there are many smaller gripes (like the turn order, 1vs-multiplayer-solitaire-alpha-gaming issues) but these are offset by an awesome game.

I'd not remove the victory condition for the captial city. It does not hurt the game instead if allows an Overlord that plays well to push for victory instead of delaying the game for ages. Better have a 30 hours campaign that is tense than an endless grind.

I'd probably do standard party setup and if peeps are not happy they can pay 25 coins to add another single hero. I'd put all heroes on one pool so the party can create a setup they desire and lose 25 coins for more options in the pool. Start with say 6 random heroes (out of which 4 must be picked without paying).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Andersson Franke
Sweden
flag msg tools
Okey thanks for the answers. Anyone of you know how the trechary deck works.

If I remove OL win from tamalir is it a balanced option too make it worth 2 conquest tokens instead of the normal One?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.