Hide
4 Posts

King of New York» Forums » Variants

Subject: Low impact on the game of energy/power cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jas Per
msg tools
What excited me about this game before I played it was the power cards. However I found out after playing it three times that power cards seem to only play a small part in this game. Energy is gained slowly as with only one side of the dice giving energy. I thought a variant where two sides of the dice give energy might be more interesting. I don't know how it works in KoT but I assume it might be similar as KoNY also allows you to gain energy from destroying power plants and staying in Manhattan. Anyone can relate? Perhaps a rule change that the Star side of the dice is replaced with a lightning bolt might be in order. Perhaps 8/12 sided dice could be introduced to increase energy income but perhaps not as drastically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a similar complaint about Tokyo.
The quick fix was "all energy gains are doubled".
Seemed to work well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the Power Up expansion? It allows more ways for monsters to get cards.

This game is very popular the way it is, so you might want to give it another try, but relax your expectations about the power cards being the be-all-and-end-all. The game is fun even though there aren't tons of cards entering the game, and having ways to gain more energy might make it really swingy.

King of Tokyo is worse because there is virtually no other way to get energy aside from rolling lightning bolts, *and* the cards are more expensive than in KoNY. If that's the one thing you're excited about, you won't like KoT, I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to just recommend an expansion when someone doesn't like a game - because not liking a game and being told the expansion fixes it always rings hollow to me, too - but this really is a case of that. King of New York: Power Up! not only gives unique cards to every monster, it significantly increases the Energy economy such that more of the cards in the market are being purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.