Port Royal» Forums » General

Subject: Language Dependence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

I am currently in Prague and to my surprise most board-games here are translated (cool!). Sadly, I can't read Czech - so I was checking couple of Language independence games. I keep hearing good things about 'Port Royal', and since according to BGG both the base game and the Contract(?) expansion has 'No necessary in-game text' I'm thinking about getting it.

However, checking the back of the Box - I can see Words on the cards. I'm guessing ship-types/characters professions? The Contract box has even more Text on the big Goal cards?

I'm guessing it can work by ignoring all text, but I was wondering how much text adds to the theme, and if there a references between cards that do need language?

Normally I would prefer the English version (even just for a small Theme hinting favlor), but Port Royal is not possible to get where I live, and the price here is pretty low for both (around 20$ - where because of shipping to Italy will be around 35$ if I'll order the English version), I'm not sure the extra 15$ are worth investing for couple of words in English.

Also - Is the Contract expansion is worth buying and combining in for the start? I'm mostly interested in the Solo Variant, and I believe my wife will enjoy the Co-op. With that - some games are better to play couple of times without expansions which makes the game harder or need couple of base game plays to appreciate the expansions.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the expansion and never played it to help you in that department.
Now the language dependence I can say is almost none. After the rulebook, the only cards that have important text are the taxes cards (saying "pay half if you have more than x cards" - not exactly like this, but I don't have the game with me - and the bonifications). Like you said, the text on the other cards are characters' names/professions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Are those the card with the big 'MIN', 'MAX' text on them? because I guess MIN/MAX means the same in Czech (as I saw them on the back of box). Or you mean other cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the base game + the expansion with the contracts.

The base game has absolutely no in-game text. The only text are the names of the characters, but you could only use that to reference them (for example: the sailor is very good, because).

The expansion references to those character names, so that makes it easy, but the pictures of the persons can also be used.

The only text is MIN and MAX, but if that is the same, then there is really no text that is required. It makes the game a bit easier to play, but it's not worth $15.

You could mix in the expansion with the first play, but the contracts change the game a lot in my opinion. It adds a new way to score points in the competitive variant. In the co-op (also solo) variant completing the contracts is the goal of the game.
I'd say: play with multiple players first a few times without the expansion and play with the expansion when you're playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
Are those the card with the big 'MIN', 'MAX' text on them? because I guess MIN/MAX means the same in Czech (as I saw them on the back of box). Or you mean other cards?

Yes, those are the ones I was speaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Thank you both Marco and Mário. In that case, I will be buying the Czech version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cassens
United States
Auburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My family likes both the competitive and the cooperative modes of play but they enjoy the cooperative mode a little more. For us the expansion added a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
Haven't tried co-op yet, but we find the game much more fun with the contracts and new characters in the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zdeněk Procházka
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, I am from Prague and I can feel that MIN / MAX in Czech is the same as in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.