5 Posts

Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How would you improve this fleet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
Hi there,

I inherited a fleet in a campaign and now have some upgrade points to play with, as we've now moved to a max fleet size of 500. In fact I have quite a few to play with (house rule), but am limited at 500. So effectively I can have a 'bench' of ships.

I'm playing against MC80-heavy fleets, with variations on the Ackbar theme. Some are more squadron heavy, others ship heavy.

VSD II: Tarkin, XX-9, Quad laser turrets, Leading Shots, Veteran Captain
VSD II: Aresko, XX-9, Quad laser turrets, Ion cannon batteries
Raider II: Instigator, Agent Kallus, point-defense re-routea
Arquitens: enhanced armament, reinforced blast doors
5x Tie Fighters
2x Tie Interceptors
Black Squadron.

Total=452.

I was thinking about doubling down on the fact that this fleet is ship heavy and strong against ships. So I would:
-swap out the quad laser turrets for disposable capacitors on both VSD-IIs
-drop stuff (black squadron, enhanced armament) so that I can afford a Gladiator II with Demolisher

But I was also thinking about plugging the gaping hole in my squadrons, and the fact that Tarkin isn't great for this fleet:
-still swap out the quad laser turrets for disposable capacitors
-get Sloane, or alternatively get 1 Gozanti
-get more,better fighters

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christo Lockxxx
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your question is a request for an honest assessment of your fleet but recommend you start as follows:

1. Determine what your maximum point value is going to be;

2. Have an idea of "theme" of your fleet (how you see the 6 turns going if all goes according to plan);

3. Select an admiral that you feel meets the "theme" of how you want your battle to go; then

4. Select a Command Ship to put the Admiral on and select all the subsequent ships and fighters to see your "theme" materialize.

What you have looks good but I dont know how a point value of 452 fits into any tournament or non-tournament play. Just my two cents. Hope this is taken in the spirit of friendly suggestion it is meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
Many thanks for your thoughts. I'll have a ponder!

I've inherited this fleet as part of a correlian conflict campaign. I'm uncertain what the 'theme' behind this fleet, what was intended, etc. My task is to maxmimise the capability of what I have.

Maximum fleet value will be 500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many points do you have to mess around with and how many points can you "get back" by selling existing upgrades/squadrons/ships? Also, does this fleet have to pick three objectives, like regular fleets? Knowing that will help inform advice. Not that I will have a lot of it to give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
Thanks partner.

I've got 93 points to play with. And I can upgrade to a total of 500 points (currently at 452)

My three objectives are a bit rubbish: Corona, Precision Strike, and Fleet Ambush.

What I was thinking was (I did the sums):
-swap GMT for Sloane
-swap quad laser turrets for disposable capacitors on both VSDs
-get flight controllers for a VSD, possibly both.
-get a Gozanti
-get as many fighters, plus Howlrunner, as I can

The idea would be that this fleet would have decent anti-ship firepower with the VSDs and disposable capacitors, and if I can position the arquitens well 4 red dice on two arcs isn't bad.
The fighters exist solely to be used aggressively to jump on named squadrons (using Sloane's ability, plus flight controllers to get extra dice, and ideally Howlrunner's, too). And to engage with their bombers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.