Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi all,

I just read the rulebook yesterday and most of it makes sense. I don’t really understand the purpose of the extra power rule with Gaia Projects. It takes some power out of your bowls just to return it all next turn? Doesn’t seem very relevant?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Hi all,

I just read the rulebook yesterday and most of it makes sense. I don’t really understand the purpose of the extra power rule with Gaia Projects. It takes some power out of your bowls just to return it all next turn? Doesn’t seem very relevant?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Paul

Are you referring to the rule that says you have to set aside power tokens into the Gaia area in order to terraform a Trasndim planet to a Gaia planet?

It's a trade-off. By setting aside the power tokens into the Gaia area, you are forgoing the ability to leech power from neighbors and take the valuable power actions for the rest of the round (so, maybe start a Gaia Project at the end of the round?).

Then, when you return the power tokens to the first bowl of your power area during the Gaia Phase of the next round, all six tokens need to be charged up again before you can use any power, which isn't easy to do.

Unless of course, you're the Terrans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite game is Gaia Project
mbmbmbmbmb
It will only return after(!) the next income phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Hi all,

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Paul

Since the power isn't returned until after income, it will likely sit in the first bowl for the rest of the turn. Basically, using a gaiaformer removes that power from your pool for the rest of this round, and most of the next. Unless you manage things carefully it can really slow you down.

To lessen then impact, take the power for gaiaforming from the lowest bowl possible. Taking the entire cost from the first bowl is ideal. On the following round, build the mine as quickly as you can to get the gaiaformer back, and use it again immediately. Spend the just-restored power to prevent it from slowing down the charge of the rest of your power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason to do it, is to have another Gaia planet where only you can settle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say you must "move a total amount of power from areas I, II or III to your Gaia area".

Does that mean all 6 power must come from one area? Or can I take 4 from area I and 2 power from area II, for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
NthPower wrote:
Or can I take 4 from area I and 2 power from area II, for example?
This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From any bowls combined

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They enhanced even further the importance of timing and decision-making surrounding Power Bowls with the Gaia Area and the Satellite expenditure. It's quite interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Doesn’t seem very relevant?

Don't say that to a Terran player ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.