Subject: Coastal Lands Card - Explore phase and beyond rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to look around for this but didn't find a definite answer yet.

So we are playing our first game and we are on round four or five. We just got to the explore phase and Coastal Lands came up. We have three sections of board and all three coastal areas have a city/town in the middle land type. We determined this meant all nine coastal land areas received an invader(man). Is this correct?

Now we are also wondering if the build phase in the next round will cause all nine areas to have buildings added due to the coastal lands card being in the build slot, as long as all the invaders are still there.

If both of these are true, is this card meant to be stronger than the other invader cards?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it, all 9 lands!

The other Stage II cards have flag icons, which cause other effects once you play with an Adversary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
If you’re used to seeing invaders on 6 Lands, 9 is a lot. In the final act, they’ll be on 12.
(Against an adversary, I usually love seeing that card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah that card is a bit nasty because no matter if you have cities or not nearby, they all get explorers (because they are on the coast). I'm guessing you're playing a 3 player game.. 9 coastal areas.

Time to summon the spirits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I guess we will go back to the game now. We stopped playing around 11 last night because we wanted to make sure we were right, not to mention being tired. We are enjoying the game a lot so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a FAQ on this, since I've seen it discussed a few times now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sullivan
msg tools
I’ve just got this game and was playing solo with each different spirit at basic level of play as I got used to the game. Coastal deploy increases difficulty.

I’ve just started cycling through games solo but playing with two spirits. First game lost as two spirits would not work together! Second game I tailored for two fear spirits and was on track to win until coastal came into play! I’ll be playing house rules to limit to two coastal explore, build and ravage as a 50% increase on a random draw is disproportionate.

Otherwise, love the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Conant
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
stevensullivan wrote:
I’ve just got this game and was playing solo with each different spirit at basic level of play as I got used to the game. Coastal deploy increases difficulty.

I’ve just started cycling through games solo but playing with two spirits. First game lost as two spirits would not work together! Second game I tailored for two fear spirits and was on track to win until coastal came into play! I’ll be playing house rules to limit to two coastal explore, build and ravage as a 50% increase on a random draw is disproportionate.

Otherwise, love the game!

Once you've got a few more games under your belt, I recommend playing with an adversary, but only using the Escalation effect. Then, you'll see that each stage II card affects the same number of lands, since the Escalation effect affects one additional land per board and the Coastal card lacks the Escalation flag. I agree that with no adversary rules, the Coastal card is extra swingy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coastal Lands is always evil. SO many invaders everywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nocturnal Carnivore

California
msg tools
Coastal Lands is a great card! It always affects places where you either have big invader strongholds or have just cleared them out (depending on the spirits you're playing with and your strategy about pushing invaders back to the sea), and it always means you'll have a terrain type that will ravage and then build in the same land in the same turn, which really helps narrow your focus towards the most urgent lands to deal with this turn. Everyone can feel like a hero shutting the big coastal stronghold down with Year of Perfect Stillness, or moving enough Dahan there with enough defense to defeat the invaders before they build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.