Subject: How do I get you to playtest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What should I provide here to get playtesters, how do you want files and rules prepared? What else!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One possibility is to post a short description of your game and a link to the full rules. Then people can contact you if they want to be playtesters. This is how I came to playtest a game a couple of months ago.

I don't do much playtesting, but in my opinion if you have files in PDF they are accessible to a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, put the name of your game, and maybe how many players in the subject line.

The first paragraph should be a summary of your game. Give me the back-of-the-box pitch and make me want to look further. Clearly lay out what player counts you're looking for, or types of groups (ie with children, nsfw, hardcore gamers, 18xx, family-oriented, etc).

I prefer components in pdf ready for letter-sized paper printing. Rules in color and pdf as well. If it's more than token or cards that are self-explanatory, a brief "how to put this together" is appreciated.

State when you would like feedback by. If it's not the first page of the rules, tell me where you want me to send feedback, and if there's something specific you're looking for suggestions about, consider a feedback form for your testers to fill out. I've filled out plenty of google forms, which I really like because it gives the playtest some direction, and makes it very easy to submit feedback. The easier you make it for your testers, the more likely you'll get some good data back.

Good luck with your game! Interested to hear more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx, this was helpful. Will post another thread (threads) with the game(s). /J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, on how to get playtesters, of course, you would provide information about your game: # of players, type of game, the objective or focus of your playtesting, timeframe of the playtest and of course the playtest files and rules. These things would not only draw playtesters who are interested and committed enough to playtest your game as well as to show you have a solid gameplay of what you want to do. For example, some designers have separate playtest phases for the main game and for solo play to test different parts of their game so they would ask for right playtesters, and had definite start and end times for the playtesting.

Playtesting files should be printer-friendly because components and rules can change often and I definitely don't want to waste a lot of printer ink printing out revised versions every week. It's expected them to be black & white, text only, minimalistic. If your game is color-dependent and there is no other symbol or text that represents the color, then you know that's something you should add because there is a sizable population who are color-blind. And yes, PDF is the universal format to ensure everything prints how you want them to.

You can post files on the forums here on BGG. Some people use their own website or other document repository like Google drive or dropbox. You'll also want a way to communicate frequently with your playtesters such as with a private forum site where you answer questions and comments as well as receive them from playtesters. If you have nothing else, you could use BGG too, but it won't be protected from other viewers. Also have specific questions or a survey of what you want to know about your game for playtesters to report on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Guiomar
msg tools
Throw them enough and you will understand.
badge
"Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice overall =)

How do you guys feel about videos? Talking about the game or with a play-through, to present a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
_underscore_ wrote:
Great advice overall =)

How do you guys feel about videos? Talking about the game or with a play-through, to present a new game.

This is a very good question! I think it would help a lot, it is still another step before you get some playtesters. But if this is what you need to get some response, ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.