Battle for Rokugan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placing raid token rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lala Lala
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1.Does the raid token placed on a boarder or in a center of a province
2. Can I place my own raid token in my own province? And wil it take effect or wil it be a bluff (or can I choose)? If it takes effect do I also need another of my province next too it?
3. Can I place a shinobi on a border as a leaguel placement or is this considered a illegal placement too count for the resolve battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
From page 8-

"A player can place a raid token in a province they do not control. When revealing a raid token during the resolution phase, a player can only trigger its effect if the raid token is either in the same province as their shinobi token or in a province that is adjacent to a province they control."

So to answer your questions specifically

1) To be legal, it must be placed in the center of a province
2) If you place it in your own province, it's illegally placed and would be removed without effect, so basically a bluff.
3) A shinobi token placed on a border is an illegal placement, and would be removed without effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lala Lala
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for quick reply 😊

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clifford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The rules imply that this is defensive mechanism, but their totally destructive nature means that after one (totally unsatisfactory) play, it's on the Trade list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Carbone
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
cliffmikard wrote:
The rules imply that this is defensive mechanism, but their totally destructive nature means that after one (totally unsatisfactory) play, it's on the Trade list

You are overreacting. Raids can be scouted and removed with card play. Scorched earth and diplomacy tokens can be removed my multiple cards so it’s not that much of a deal.

And if you think about it it is a defensive mechanism as well as you can raid a province to retain or gain control of a territory by reducing the sike of a territory.

Plus there are many cards that will allow you to put a gobourable fight token in a province to stop the use of raid or diplomacy tout court.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raddoc wrote:
From page 8-

"A player can place a raid token in a province they do not control. When revealing a raid token during the resolution phase, a player can only trigger its effect if the raid token is either in the same province as their shinobi token or in a province that is adjacent to a province they control."

Also from page 8: "As a last resort, a daimyō may decide to destroy a province rather than allow territory to fall into enemy hands."

That clearly is referring to placing a Raid in your own territory. In fact it's the very first sentence under Raid. It later goes on to say that "A player can place a raid token in a province they do not control." That implies an additional option beyond playing in your own territory. The player shields only mention playing in opponent's province, but I suspect that is a lazy reference to just the latter part of the Raid section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molly Glover
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Also from page 8: "As a last resort, a daimyō may decide to destroy a province rather than allow territory to fall into enemy hands."

That clearly is referring to placing a Raid in your own territory. In fact it's the very first sentence under Raid. It later goes on to say that "A player can place a raid token in a province they do not control." That implies an additional option beyond playing in your own territory. The player shields only mention playing in opponent's province, but I suspect that is a lazy reference to just the latter part of the Raid section.

That sentence (which is more flavor than rules) means a daimyo may decide to destroy a province they want rather than let someone else get it, not that you can place a raid in a province you control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mollysaurus wrote:
That sentence (which is more flavor than rules) means a daimyo may decide to destroy a province they want rather than let someone else get it, not that you can place a raid in a province you control.

I disagree. A territory that someone else already owns is already "in enemy hands".

From both thematic and gameplay perspectives, I see no reason to not allow blowing up a province you control. I allow it in my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molly Glover
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are free to play however you want, of course. I'm just telling you what I intended when I wrote it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob G

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all! I hope it's okay to ask for additional clarity around placement of a raid token in this, existing thread for the sake of "discoverability" for others with questions about raid token placement.

The rule book and player screen seem to provide rule ambiguity regarding the use of the raid token. I would appreciate if someone could help provide clarity!

The Rule Book states:

A player can place a raid token in a province they do not control. When revealing the raid token during the resolution phase, a player can only trigger its effect if the raid token is either in the same province as their shinobi token or in a province that is adjacent to a province they control.

The Player Screens state:

Place in an opponent’s adjacent province to remove all tokens and place scorched earth token. Place with shinobi to ignore adjacency.

Questions:

Can the active player place a raid token in:
1. A territory that they (the active player) do not control and is adjacent to a territory they DO control?
a. Can this raid token be placed if the territory is under an opponent’s control?

2. A territory that they (the active player) do not control and is adjacent to a territory under their opponents control?
a. Can this raid token be placed if the territory is under an opponent’s control?

3. Both A or B above?

4. Something else?

Thanks much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RobGe wrote:
Hi all! I hope it's okay to ask for additional clarity around placement of a raid token in this, existing thread for the sake of "discoverability" for others with questions about raid token placement.

The rule book and player screen seem to provide rule ambiguity regarding the use of the raid token. I would appreciate if someone could help provide clarity!

The Rule Book states:

A player can place a raid token in a province they do not control. When revealing the raid token during the resolution phase, a player can only trigger its effect if the raid token is either in the same province as their shinobi token or in a province that is adjacent to a province they control.

The Player Screens state:

Place in an opponent’s adjacent province to remove all tokens and place scorched earth token. Place with shinobi to ignore adjacency.

Questions:

Can the active player place a raid token in:
1. A territory that they (the active player) do not control and is adjacent to a territory they DO control?

2. A territory that they (the active player) do not control and is adjacent to a territory under their opponents control?

3. Both A or B above?

4. Something else?

Thanks much!

I don’t see an ambiguity, I just see the same rule written two different ways.

A raid token quite simply can be placed in a territory adjacent to one you control, as long as you don’t control it yourself (so it can be someone else’s territory), OR somewhere you have already placed a Shinobi.

Interestingly, as Curt says above, you could houserule it and ignore the bolded part, (which we have been doing albeit by mistake).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.