Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Santa,

A bit late for this year, but in the future just wanted you to know that I hate board games, card games and all game related gifts. You might have heard that I like games and that it would be a no brainer special interest gift, but actually no.

Now you also might have noticed while you were breaking and entering through the chimney that I have a whole shelving unit of games. Ignore that. They came with the house and I’m trying to get rid of them on EBay slowly.

So just to be clear: no games for Christmas next year. Not even that hilarious party game you saw on sale at Walmart. You know, the one where you all yell words at the same time to match an inane clue. Yeah, that was not one of your finer moments.

If you’re that hard up for ideas next year I’d be ok with coal as a substitute because that burns longer and better on the grill. And the cards give off a funny smell when you burn them.

Sincerely,

Someone who has too many gift games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Boardgames as gifts stopped being a thing at my house about 10 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Call me a scrooge, but I want to live in a world were Christmas presents are for kids. When you are too old to Trick or Treat, you are too old for presents. A nice card, some pretty decorations and time spent with friends and family is enough for me.

Of course, I want to be around kids, give them games and play those games with them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games as gifts are fine... as long as you tell people which games to buy you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Yeah, the problem with that is that my non-gaming Santa-spouse would be offended by my lack of faith in her gift choosing talents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Yeah, the problem with that is that my non-gaming Santa-spouse would be offended by my lack of faith in her gift choosing talents.
You’ve trained her to that behavior by pretending to like the bad gifts she gets you. If you reacted honestly, she’d be more than happy to have you tell her what you want... or possibly stop buying you gifts. Either way, no more bad gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Telling people what to get you makes gifts not really gifts in my book. Might as well do a cash transfer. Much simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teach people how to access your BGG wishlist.

This will prevent them from buying you game gifts, because they don't want to spend $50 on you anyway.

Pete (solved the problem)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pollard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the one game gift this year, but oh! what a choice... no prompting, no hinting (subtle or otherwise), just my family getting a good handle on what floats my boat.

I am now the proud owner of Mega Civilization (copy number 2630/3000). Just need to convince half a dozen or so brave souls to commit a full day (or more) to playing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Call me a scrooge, but I want to live in a world were Christmas presents are for kids. When you are too old to Trick or Treat, you are too old for presents.

Exactly: you're never too old for either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My photographer wife doesn’t buy me games as gifts for the same reason I don’t buy her camera equipment... Know your limits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

This will prevent them from buying you game gifts, because they don't want to spend $50 on you anyway.

Exactly I do get board game gifts, I don’t know what I’m getting or tell people what to get me (my list is broad), and love them all This year brought Cry Havoc (BGG Secret Santa), Hanabi (a friend), two expansions for Escape Room the Game (GF/family), Photosynthesis and Eminent Domain: Microcosm (both from my brother). Gaming pleasure, here we come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging comes in 3 phases:

First is the age where you hope that the amount of presents is as high as possible.
Second comes the age where you hope that the amount of useful presents is as high as possible.
And last comes the age where you hope that the amount of useless presents is as low as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Dear Santa,

Here is my Amazon wish list. It has games on it. Buy from the list, and we're golden. easy peasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Haynes
msg tools
EMBison wrote:
Call me a scrooge, but I want to live in a world were Christmas presents are for kids. When you are too old to Trick or Treat, you are too old for presents. A nice card, some pretty decorations and time spent with friends and family is enough for me.

Of course, I want to be around kids, give them games and play those games with them

I agree with this. My wife and I will buy silly gifts to put in a stocking but no big actual "presents" for each other. We figure we are adults, we work hard, and we buy what we want for ourselves throughout the year.

Christmas presents are about the kids for us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I can't imagine being that grumpy about a gift given by someone who cares about your interests.

My in-laws gave us Sequence this year. They didn't realize we had recently acquired my childhood copy, but they saw it on our game shelf the day before Christmas. Don't worry, I assured them, My sister will be happy to take our childhood copy. It's a fun game! And it really was sweet of them to think of our interests. But my favorite gift from them was new boots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

My mom wanted to buy my husband a game and didn't want me to tell her what to buy. So I sent her the link to the list of games he owns and sent her to a local game store that has a good selection and told her to ask for help. It worked perfectly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="EMBison"]Call me a scrooge, but I want to live in a world were Christmas presents are for kids. When you are too old to Trick or Treat, you are too old for presents./q]
Wait what?! You are only too old for Trick'or'Treat'ing if you are so bad at costumes that they call you out.

To use a unsourced quote (likely with many roots - so none mentioned none forgotten)

The 4 stages of a man's life:

1) You believe in Santa
2) You do not believe in Santa
3) You are Santa
4) You look like Santa

I am in stage 3. And I know that I have been nice, so presents for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
kaziam wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

You’ve trained her to that behavior by pretending to like the bad gifts she gets you. If you reacted honestly, she’d be more than happy to have you tell her what you want... or possibly stop buying you gifts. Either way, no more bad gifts.

My current wife for our first Christmas did "guess" what game I'd like but afterwards I asked her if she'd be okay with suggestions for the next gift giving occasion. It's worked beautifully ever since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.