United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Differentiate between player assistants with high player count?
I think you're referring to minions, which you are only allowed to place in your own charter. Hence there should never be any confusion about whose minions are whose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
I think you're referring to minions, which you are only allowed to place in your own charter. Hence there should never be any confusion about whose minions are whose.

we‘re in game 10 and used them everywhere.

shake
hahahaahha yeah, that must have been interesting.... ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, I messed this up too but we are only in game 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

You evidently failed to read the rules carefully. This game REQUIRES careful reading of each rule; making certain everyone clearly understands that rule; and everyone taking their time executing the rules. There is no room for rushing through or skimming the rules of this game. It is not like most games my group has played. This game follows a very narrow path. Stray a mite and you will end up at a dead end!

We've finished one game, and all five of us were careful to understand each rule, and read every line on every card we played. Yet, we still have our fingers crossed that we didn't miss something. Don't get me wrong, we absolutely LOVE this game - but we continually double-check that we have not missed something. Perhaps we are doing over-kill, but we'd rather get it right from the beginning, by playing slower than to rush through and then regret it. Not to preach to others, but I thing Charterstone is different enough that it requires even experienced games to play carefully!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Blackburn
United Kingdom
Helston
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Same here. Now to play the last two games correctly on Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry you made this error for so many games. It's on the minion rules, and as you noted, it doesn't make sense to place minions anywhere other than your charter, as you can't keep track of whose minions are yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I've highlighted it in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne-Stine Husevåg
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did the same thing, but because of you, I read this after the first game, so THANK YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sort of related question, but My wife reads the minions rule different than I.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Minions stay on the worker spot until you choose to retrieve all your workers"
. When you Choose to retrieve or not retrieve all your workers, can you choose to not to retrieve your minions?
I said you have to retrieve your minions when you retrieve all your worker because the minions are not really workers and leave their spots when the workers leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minions are workers, so when you use your turn to retrieve, you must retrieve all of your workers (regular and minions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Stoneman
United Kingdom
W-s-M
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Minions are workers, so when you use your turn to retrieve, you must retrieve all of your workers (regular and minions).

In one of our first two games last night, one player decided to perform a retrieve action while only one worker was placed. We couldn't find anything that said he couldn't do this, although we couldn't quite understand why he would, so we let him. Should we have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee: You played correctly. The only restriction is that if you choose to use your turn to retrieve workers, you must retrieve ALL of your workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our problem with the minion rule was how to implement their special power.
When the first minion came out we played it that only the person who pulled the card and built the building got the minions special ability. A couple games later when other minions came out it didn't make sense that only the person who drew the card and built the building should benefit because it appeared unbalanced. Each minion provides a different bonus. We then re-read the minion rule and the minion cards and figured out that when the card says the minion's building it is referring to the building each individual minion occupies not the building that actually allows you to gain a minion. Therefore since the minion is only used in your own charter, each player gets the benefit of each different minion they have. So there is incentive to go and get a variety. It finally made sense, but the rules as written are not clear on this. I suggest the FAQ be updated to clarify this so others can figure it out prior to game 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom! I've had a long note about minions in the FAQ for a while. Do you think it needs more info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thanks Tom! I've had a long note about minions in the FAQ for a while. Do you think it needs more info?

LOL Jamey I'm not sure. I just read the FAQ on minions again, and of course it makes sense now that I have an understanding. However it did not necessarily make sense the first time. Probably better if someone who is just unlocking their first minion give you feedback on the clarity of the FAQ. It's been a week since we figured this out and my memory was a little rusty on what the FAQ had said.

We are a group of war gamers and we are loving playing Charterstone BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom! I'll continue to keep an eye on it and gather feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Whoa those first 10 games must’ve been crazy!

Crazy imbalanced and fun!

You could always just keep playing this way. Grab a pen or marker and write on every single minion in the supply and assign them a letter. That way Jane has minions A and J and bob has minions Z and F. Everyone will know who their minions are.

That’s just a funny suggestion, don’t actually expect you to do that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did the same thing using minions everywhere for games 2-4. I thought I was so clever coming up with a way to track minion ownership. We placed minions on the corner of the hexagon corresponding to the players seat. (Similar to bets in craps). So if the cat was in the bottom right corner, it belongs to the yellow charter, for example.
Totally missed that rule, whoops.

We were also unclear initially about if the discovering player was the only one who got to use that type.
I think we’ve got it all now, LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shrunken Ned wrote:
We were also unclear initially about if the discovering player was the only one who got to use that type.
I think we’ve got it all now, LOL

In case you didn't get that right, the player who discovers the minion takes *one* of that type of minion; the rest go to the general supply -- put the card for the minion(s) somewhere convenient, and put the remaining minions of each type on their respective cards.

There are several ways to acquire minions, and any player can use one of those options to acquire any minion -- not just one he discovered! Players can acquire multiple copies of each minion, but remember that regardless of your minion capacity, you can't keep more than one of each type of minion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
4 ways to acquire minions:

* when a minion type is unlocked, the unlock-er gets one.

* when a minion type is unlocked, the unlock-er gets a building that produces that minion type. Until this building is built, the minion cannot be acquired during normal play.

* any player who has completed the minion row on their charter chest may acquire an unlocked minion of their choice (subject to availability) during setup.

* (advanced building)
there is an income building that produces a minion (of any type) during income

There is also a guidepost relating to minions.

Once you have a minion, you can keep it from game to game, subject to capacity limits (max 1-4, no more than one of each type).

As a consequence of this, if you unlock a minion and no-one has completed their minion line and you prevent access to that minion's production building, then you will be the only one with that minion (but only one of them). Once someone completes the minion line on the charter chest, they can acquire one minion per game without interacting with the board, and keep the minions they acquire subject to capacity limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.