Subject: Voyager Appeal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riad A-A
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends pulled Voyager and Remora last night. He read both winced at voyager and handed the card to me. He asked me why should I use this card? I read the card 3 times and could honestly not grasp what sort of strategy this card offered. Ultimately I couldn't convince him and he opted for Remora. Quite unfortunate, as this would have been its debut in our gaming circle.

So my question is why Voyager? You send the planet to the warp, everyone loses a foreign colony if they are on the planet, and you gain a foreign colony. You can swap it with another home planet later but everyone on that original planet regains a foreign colony. Then there is the part of ship retrieval I didn't understand. Do you take a ship as usual when you launch, and send ships back after an encounter. Or must you pull them off your warp planet as if they are in the warp (i.e someone plays a mobius tubes and everyone evacuates the warp). If the latter is the case then I can see how this alien can become treacherous by denying foreign colonies. Otherwise what is the point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the appeal for Voyager is that you essentially only need 4 foreign colonies to win the game (provided you have at least 1 turn to get a planet into the warp). Additionally, some or all of the other players may need to get 6 foreign colonies to win, if they had a colony on the planet you sent to the warp.

Since players know Voyager will likely send the planet with the most colonies on it to the warp, they are often deterred from attacking Voyager. This can also have the benefit of getting Voyager deal opportunities while on defense.

As for ship retrieval, not much is different from how things normally work. You take a ship as normal. You can send ships returning to colonies to your planet in the warp. The power reads "Ships on that planet are both on a colony and in the warp, and may/must leave through all the usual ways for both."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Man
msg tools
But I still don't understand the choice of words here

The Warp wrote:

The power reads "Ships on that planet are both on a colony and in the warp, and may/must leave through all the usual ways for both."

My assumption is that this reads:

1)Ships on that planet are on a colony and and may leave through all the usual ways for a colony

2)Ships on that planet are in the warp, and must leave through all the usual ways for the warp

To me this makes sense since if a Mobius tubes or Rift is played or Regroup comes along all players must be forced to remove ships from the planet in the warp. This is what I mean by extra tactics and deeper potential from Voyager.

Or else why even clarify the may/must and mention both in the card text.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
You've written your summary as "may" for the colony and "must" for the warp, but it's actually "may/must as applicable" for both.

If something allows ships to leave the planet, they may leave the planet. (Example: To load the hyperspace gate.)

If something requires ships to leave the planet, they must leave the planet. (Example: To comply with Filth's power.)

If something allows ships to leave the warp, they may leave the warp. (Example: Rewards.)

If something requires ships to leave the warp, they must leave the warp. (Example: Mobius Tubes, or even your normal retrieval if all your ships in the warp are on the planet.)

That's what it means by "may/must ... for both."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riad A-A
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I see, that actually makes so much sense when you break it down like that. Didn't think I'd have both Bill and Jack comment so this is actually great! I just want you to both know that I am thankful for the work you put into Cosmic Encounter. Happy New Year fellas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.