Giovanni Toletti
Italy
Pioltello
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I have just started the Campaign Game #11 Operation Long Reach.

Two CIDG companies start defending Plei Mei and one full NVA battalion (plus A/33 mortar) starts the pre-game turn within striking distance.

I (NVA) assaulted with the whole battalion + mortar (a total of four stacking points, eight steps and 17 attack points) from a single hex. I failed my coordination roll and had an uncoordinated frontal assault, but, being concentrated in one hex it was not so bad. My opponent committed all its air points to defense bombardment and then defended with a total of 2 strenght points. Let assume that the air eliminated one step of NVA units (maybe with a bit of luck causing also a Fatigue). With 2 defense factors with -1 for the uncoordinated attack you need a 4 or less to cause an additional step loss (the fatigued unit). Hence the NVA remains with about 14 attacking points (having completely eliminated the NVA D/2/33 company)that,even with +3, eliminate quite often at least 1 CIDG step. Then there is a 70% chance that the CIDG can attack for a second round and a 60% chance that the NVA can attack again. This second round slightly favours the NVA because without air points the NVA has more chances to cause a loss.

And this is only the first pre-game turn! Then there are 4 more turns to destroy the remaning CIDG company/ies that may be helped by maximum of one more company. Before the arrival of helicopters it seems impossible to send more FWA reinforcements to Plei Mei.

In the end, except for extraordinary bad luck, the NVA should capture Plei Mei in the first four turns. We tried a couple of times and it always happened.

I don't see how the FWA player may defend Plei Mei if the NVA attacks from one hex.

Is there some advice or comment about the defense of Plei Mei?

Thanks

Giovanni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Giovanni,

Plei Mei is very difficult to defend. I would recommend using the US arrival outlined in Scenario #2 (see the note for Scenario #11 on p29 of the rules).

In addition, one reason for not taking the camp is that the FWA Supply Unit will no longer have to attempt to reach it.

I'm contemplating further refining this condition such that if either Plei Mei or Duc Co is captured by the PAVN, the FWA Automatic Victory chit for getting the Supply Unit to a camp is considered fulfilled.

So, this will give the PAVN player a choice to take the VPs for the camp but make the FWA's victory easier, or continue to harass the camp and force the FWA to continue to attempt to get the Supply Unit there. Historically, this is what occurred. The PAVN didn't want to actually take the camp so much as they wanted to lure the convoy out so they could ambush it along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Toletti
Italy
Pioltello
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mitchell

The fact is that capturing Plei Me is one of my automatic Victory conditions, hence I have to capture it.

As far as I understand the FWA player have to send the supply unit to a special forces camp per the mandatory victory condition 5. If I capture and hold Plei Me it has to be Duc Co (even better), but it could be Plei Me if, once fulfilled the victory condition 1 and gained the victory points, I leave it.
Isn’t it true?

Thanks

Giovanni
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Giovanni Toletti wrote:
Thanks Mitchell

The fact is that capturing Plei Me is one of my automatic Victory conditions, hence I have to capture it.

As far as I understand the FWA player have to send the supply unit to a special forces camp per the mandatory victory condition 5. If I capture and hold Plei Me it has to be Duc Co (even better), but it could be Plei Me if, once fulfilled the victory condition 1 and gained the victory points, I leave it.
Isn’t it true?

Thanks

Giovanni

Giovanni,

This is one of those things covered by the design note. I would say that if the camp has fallen, it no longer counts as a destination. The whole point of the Supply Unit is to prevent the capture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Toletti
Italy
Pioltello
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Mitchell I don't see the design note you are mentioning. Where is it?

What I see is that Rule 12.9 says that the Supply Unit has to attempt to enter either SF Camp (then the Design Note explains that "attempting" is difficult to rule).
Also Card #11 says that the ARVN Supply Unit have to end a game Turn in a Special Force Camp. The Note specifies that this chit is always chosen.

My interpretation is that if Plei Me has fallen the Suplly Unit must proceed to Duc Co (or viceversa). Only if both are fallen the attempt may be considered done.

Isn't it?

Thanks very much for the precious help

Giovanni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be a note regarding US arrival for Scenario #11 on p29 of the rules. If not, then refer to the Living Rules in the Support Site.

You are correct that if the Supply Unit can't reach Plei Me, it should attempt to reach Duc Co.

If both camps have fallen, then the attempt should be considered complete.

If the FWA recapture a camp, it is still considered "fallen" for the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Toletti
Italy
Pioltello
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much

Giovanni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.