Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Solo Dungeon Crawler/Campaign Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vinny B.
msg tools
I'm looking for a great solo game in the dungeon crawler genre. Preferably with a campaign of some kind but not necessary. Can't afford gloomhaven so please don't rub it in lmao.

The ones I'm thinking about right now are:

-Imperial assault (does the app make it truly solo worthy?)
-Sword and Sorcery
-Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed
-Galaxy Defenders
-Zombicide Black plague

I don't have a large budget for games so I'd like something I can really get into that has good replayability and solid gameplay depth.. Imperial Assault is the one I want most but I haven been able to find deep info about he app. How long the coop campaign is etc. Runner up is Mansions or S&S.

I could really use some help here as I just can't make a decision. Mage knight is also one I'm toying with buying but that isn't really a crawler.

Solo gamers, what do you recommend and why?

Thank you so much for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Stippel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Zombicide Black Plague is one of the few games I have and I absolutely love it. I can't get enough of it.

I wouldn't consider it a complete dungeon crawler though. There's a lot of zombies coming after you all the time and more often then not you're running rather than facing the horde. It does feel great to finally get the weapon you've been looking for to take some of them out.

I would absolutely recommend it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I havn't tried Descent with the app, yet. AFAIK, the IA one will be fairly similar (the app isn't out yet, or is it?).

Havn't played the new Mansion of Madness.

Sword & Sorcery is a lot of fun, but it is fairly complex (a lot of little things to keep in mind). I also cannot say how replayable it is, once you have played through the campaign(s) once or twice. It is perfectly solo-able, but you would have to control multiple heroes.

Galaxy Defenders is hard. It, likewise, is fairly complex. I would say it offers a bit more replayability than Sword & Sorcery, since the campaign has less surprises and such (which, after having been through them once, lose a bit of their impact, naturally). The campaign in Sword & Sorcery is better, it is just the replayability issue, that I am talking about here.

Zombicide is great fun. A lot lighter than the others. You have to play all six heroes, though, which might be a bit much for solo play. Massive Darkness might be a better choice for that. It uses the same engine, more or less, with campaign play and smaller parties. This would be my recommendation for a lighter game. For something heavier, read on...

Have you thought about Mage Knight Board Game? It is not really a dungeon crawler and it has no campaign play, but it is highly replayable and generally considered one of the best solo games in the genre. However, it is another fairly complex game.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been on a similar journey to you! The endless search for a truly solo-able Dungeon Crawler!!

Imperial Assault: The App makes the game very solo'able. I love it; just got a load more stuff for Xmas. But it is a rabbit hole - as I found myself wanting to buy more and more expansions and packs (you can add your collection to the app so that it varies the game play). You can't go far wrong with this one. Maybe lacks a bit of a spark and is a touch fiddly at times, but there's enough in the core box to enjoy.

Sword and Sorcery - Not played it

Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed: This is fantastic. One of my all time favourite solo games. Again it's a rabbit hole, as there's so much additional content - which is not cheap at all. Also, it is probably the least replayable as each mission is fairly static, although the things that happen vary within a number of parameters. I'd say the base game gives a lot of hours of play - but you will end up wanting (needing!!) expansions to continue.

Galaxy Defenders: I love the XCom video games; and this is one of the best board games at recreating the combat side of it. But for some reason it falls flat. I can't put my finger on it, as despite numerous attempts I get bored quickly (and is the main reason I haven't touched Sword and Sorcery) - but it IS XCom in a box, and I can understand why some people would love this game, everything about it is solid and well designed. Just not for me

Zombicide Black Plague is a great entry in the series. I think I prefer Massive Darkness though, but you can't go far wrong with either - possibly comes down to theme and balance. Both are very replayable. Fun 'popcorn movie' games, if somewhat unexceptional.

I notice you haven't listed Descent 2.0. The App makes it just as playable solo as Imperial Assault. It's very good!

If I had a choice between buying one of the above now, or saving up for a while longer and getting Gloomhaven - I'd wait. Gloomhaven really is head and shoulders above the rest, and the replayability is incredible.

However, as you asked for help on your list I would say - Mansions is the best solo game, but I prefer the Star Wars theme in Imperial Assault. So either of them.

As for Mage Knight. Overall the game was too mathy and calculated for me. There's a good chance I'll never play it again, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it because some aspects were so good - I just don't have the hours needed to refresh myself on the rules and then play a mission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you mention, Star Wars: Imperial Assault is the one I'd recommend. Right now the only available app campaign has five missions, but I am sure they will be releasing more. Also, if you like the game, you can gradually expand your content with small and large expansions that fit your budget.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is very similar but with more content now available and, of course, a fantasy theme. I prefer the implementation of SW:IA, but D2.0 is fun as well.

I also really enjoy Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients. It has a core game with lots of play in it as well as a ton of expansions you can add gradually. One huge difference is that you need to assemble the minis, which will take hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to look into Gloom of Kilforth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Cartas

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played both Descent 2e and S&S, and while I like S&S more, I think you will find more replayability with Descent 2e and the app. There is way more content out for Descent 2e, and it's easier to find expansions online discounted.

Mansions of Madness is awesome (the app is much better than Descent), but it feels less like a dungeon crawler (and there is no progression).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Shadows of Brimstone It's really the only game in that dungeon crawler category that I enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the ones you mentioned I'd go for Sword & Sorcery, because it can be perfectly played solo without houseruling or apps.
Plus, I prefer it's classic/generic fantasy theme!
Another option which I didn't see you mentioning is Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients (and so many others like it!!)
Mage knight is out of the question, unless you don't mind playing something veeery long and uber complex.. all alone! Oh and yeah, it's a great game but not a dungeon crawler.
Finally, a game that I consider as if it was tailored specifically for me and is worth mentioning is Darklight: Memento Mori. Not out yet, but the best dungeon crawler imo!
Similar to SoB but better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draxon Fly
Australia
Uranquinty
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snadows of brimstome is pretty good.

I prefer the Original Zombicide so much more over the black plage one.

The new app with Star Wars: Imperial Assault is great. Haven't played a lot withe appas yet but so far I've really engoyed mySolo experience with it.

Level 7 [Escape] is quite fun, panicky kind of way.

I also get a simular feeling i get playing a 'dungeon crawl type game' playing some campaign solo wargames, e.g: The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43, Target for Today... might be something to look into. ..

Otherwise some of the D&D tile placemet dungeon crawl games (though i find them a bit 'simple' after playing proper d&d)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nataris wrote:
I'm looking for a great solo game in the dungeon crawler genre. Preferably with a campaign of some kind but not necessary. Can't afford gloomhaven so please don't rub it in lmao.

The ones I'm thinking about right now are:

-Imperial assault (does the app make it truly solo worthy?)
-Sword and Sorcery
-Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed
-Galaxy Defenders
-Zombicide Black plague

I don't have a large budget for games so I'd like something I can really get into that has good replayability and solid gameplay depth.. Imperial Assault is the one I want most but I haven been able to find deep info about he app. How long the coop campaign is etc. Runner up is Mansions or S&S.

I could really use some help here as I just can't make a decision. Mage knight is also one I'm toying with buying but that isn't really a crawler.

Solo gamers, what do you recommend and why?

Thank you so much for the help.

If you want it now, i'd go for Descent or Shadows of Brimstone. Both have a decent amount of content, and character levelling.

However, as already mentioned, Gloomhaven is a mile ahead of the others in terms of content, but also in terms of price. If you can save up to buy it, do it, with 95 missions of up to 5 hours each, even if it is one play through, you'll get your money's worth!

The authored campaign is also much better than playing another random mission of one of the other games. The combat is so much deeper and the quests and enemies require very varied gameplay along with the large hero roster. Oh, and the customisation for your characters is also unrivalled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword & Sorcery is my vote. Act II content is coming soon and as more campaigns are developed, it should easily rise to the top of the solo dungeon crawl heap. There are a lot of fiddly rules, but the quests are well thought out and the dice are a lot of fun. I also think the enemy AI is interesting and challenging while feeling balanced.

Descent 2e is really designed around 1 versus many, but you can't deny the amount of content available. Unfortunately, there is much more content for regular play (1 versus many) than for the companion application that allows solo play.

Descent 2e has more monsters and heroes than S&S, but the solo campaign content is close to equal for the two and I feel S&S will prove to be a much better solo game in the long run.

Have heard Shadows Of Brimstone is good, but I haven't tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools

If money is a bit tight, you could try Tabletopia.
They have Sword & Sorcery, Gloomhaven and space cadets away missions as free games(don't what free entails though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I am currently playing Star Wars: Imperial Assault with the app and I am loving it. If you are a Star Wars person I highly, highly recommend it. Only one campaign so far, but you know they’re going to be adding more.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition is also great, but I have not played it solo. The last time I checked, there are like a dozen missions available on the app and they keep adding them. Some require an expansion and some are purchasable as DLC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.