Hide
7 Posts

San Juan (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Customs Office rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Costa
msg tools
I've tried searching for an answer on this question but no luck so far. If I have the Customs House and the Councillor Phase comes up, do I get to:

(A) choose between (1) doing the usual councillor action (drawing 2 or 5 cards and selecting 1) or (2) putting 1 good under the Customs Office,

OR

(B) doing (1) AND (2) as described above in (A)

I don't think the game instructions are clear either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CedarTree wrote:
I've tried searching for an answer on this question but no luck so far. If I have the Customs House and the Councillor Phase comes up, do I get to:

(A) choose between (1) doing the usual councillor action (drawing 2 or 5 cards and selecting 1) or (2) putting 1 good under the Customs Office,

OR

In 1st Edition with expansion, it's been B.

Councilor role is pretty much a Produce for the Customs Office
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
CedarTree wrote:

OR

In 1st Edition with expansion, it's been B.

Councilor role is pretty much a Produce for the Customs Office

Same in 2nd. edition. City buildings always give you extra abilities or or increase the effect of standard phase abilities. They never replace existing abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonichi x Tabletop2Go
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On top of that, if you and someone else build the Customs Office, you can work together to shut out the Produce action (since you wont be as dependent on it as other players).

In our locale, customs officials are viewed as corrupt and it only adds to the flavor of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Costa
msg tools
Thanks everyone!

As I think about it, is it the same answer on the "Trade" side (not just the Councillor)? In other words, can I trade one EXTRA good in a turn when I have the Customs Office?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CedarTree wrote:
Thanks everyone!

As I think about it, is it the same answer on the "Trade" side (not just the Councillor)? In other words, can I trade one EXTRA good in a turn when I have the Customs Office?

Thanks!
DISTINCTION:
On its own, it doesn't do that. You still need to have the building that lets you Trade an extra good.

Pertaining to the good, it can be one of the goods you trade whenever you have effects that let you Trade extra goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CedarTree wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Thanks!

There's actually some implications in the rules about both these questions. The rules say "when the player chooses to sell this good in the trader phase," implying it's the choice you make on which thing to sell, as opposed to being extra. If it were extra I think they would have to make that clear. It's already a privilege because when your only other option(s) are worth only 1 on the trading house tile, you get 2 here instead.

As to the first question, the rules say "at the beginning of the councillor phase..." which is basically saying you place the good before the phase actually takes place.

I only just shuffled in the expansion a couple of games ago and had this card in play in my last game. I think it's pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.