M V
Finland
flag msg tools
I play most of the games as 2-player games. Old West has the rule that on the first move you have to place the city marker in one city where you start. OK. Then it costs 2 cards to place another city marker after you claimed a route. I don't see any idea to place another or third city marker as they are pretty much useless in a 2- player game. I have sometimes received couple of points but that's about it. It feels silly to waste one turn to get 2 cards to pay another city marker that most likely brings 0-2 points. I can see that in 4-6 player games having a marker in a central town like Salt Lake City would bring a lot of points. In 2-player games it's just a waste of time. Or am I missing something about the city markers?

So that is why I'm entertaining an idea of a house rule that it would cost -4 points for unplaced city marker. Like the missing harbour in Rails & Sails. Also it would create more meaning to city markers if there would be a full variation of the Rails & Sails harbours. Every ticket that starts or ends in your own city scores +10 points in the end with maximum of 30 points from each city and maximum of 90 from 3 cities. That has been a nice addition in R&S although usually we just hoard tickets until some harbour gets 3 tickets and then place the harbour. In Old West there might be more luck involved as the city needs to be claimed immediately after building a route and usually at that point there is no guarantee that you score 3 tickets in to that city.

Anyway, in the end I fear that Old West will have a pretty short life and soon it will be just France that is played from this pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Spink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played it with 2 players and 4 players now - I agree, I think the stations definitely add more with higher player counts. We found it difficult to get more than a couple of points from the stations in a 2 player game, based on our experiences.

However it's still an option to block your opponent building the big scoring ferry link to LA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Chlebicki
Poland
Warsaw
Mazovia
flag msg tools
publisher
melanzowniatv.znadplanszy.pl
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d suggest another home rule. Score the route after building the city. Then it would make sense to build it regardless of other player going there or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrome3d wrote:
It feels silly to waste one turn to get 2 cards to pay another city marker that most likely brings 0-2 points.

It doesn't cost a turn to place a city marker. You place it on the same turn as you claim a route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baartoszz wrote:
I’d suggest another home rule. Score the route after building the city. Then it would make sense to build it regardless of other player going there or not

It might be my fuzzy brain tonight, but I don't see how scoring a route after building a city changes anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Chlebicki
Poland
Warsaw
Mazovia
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
Baartoszz wrote:

It might be my fuzzy brain tonight, but I don't see how scoring a route after building a city changes anything.

Let's say you're building a route from point A to B. You already have a city in point A. So you're claiming the route, build the city in point B and then score double points for this route. (While according to the rules you'd claim, score single points and then build the city)

But after all I think it is not a good home rule. Most probably the cities would be used only to double score my longest route I plan to go. This would be automatic without decision making and any thought put into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
chrome3d wrote:
It feels silly to waste one turn to get 2 cards to pay another city marker that most likely brings 0-2 points.

It doesn't cost a turn to place a city marker. You place it on the same turn as you claim a route.

It still costs a turn to pick two cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
It still costs a turn to pick two cards.

This is true. I usually have a couple of cards to burn so I didn't look at it that way. So it is true in a 2 player game, if you take a turn to draw the 2 cards that you will need then it's not really worth it usually. If you have 2 cards to burn that you don't really need at the moment, then no big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.