Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this feature will be very useful to the BGG site users.
Currently, we can initiate an advanced search, fill out the desired fields and then click on the Submit button, which will bring up the results. Here we can bookmark this page to add it to our Favorites for future re-runs.

However, if you want to modify only one (or more) of the fields, you will have to start a fresh new advanced search and reenter/select all the fields again.

My suggestion is to make the advanced search page including the user-entered fields savable (via bookmark, i.e. adding it to Favorites,) (prior to clicking on Submit button). This way, users can always bring up their saved advanced search and modify a field and submit, rather than having to start a new advanced search.

Thanks for considering this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Enjoy a HotMayoSandwich ™ today!
badge
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you can do this now. I have filtered searches saved in my hotbar for games that I 'own', or games I have up for 'trade', etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
I misunderstood what you were asking, but I went back and copied the URL of an advance search, and it still works even if you don't go though the search criteria selection page.

Example, here are my owned games: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@HotMayoSandwich I mean the ability to bookmark (save the URL) for the Advanced search "form" page NOT just for the results page.

Here is an example to further clarify.

Say you do an advance search and enter the following criteria:
- Published 2000 to 2017
- Minimum age: 12
- Average user rating range: 7 to 10 with at least 30 user ratings
- Average gameplay weight: 2 to 4 with at least 20 user weight ratings
- .... and a few other conditions.

Now BEFORE you click Submit you cannot bookmark this form WITH your entered criteria.

Of course after you click Submit, the results are displayed and you can bookmark (save) the URL and always go back to it to get the results for the same exact criteria (as in the URL for your owned games).

Now suppose you wanted to use all the same criteria in the above advanced search, except changing the minimum age to 10. Since the form data don't get saved, you will have to reenter ALL the above criteria again into a new advanced search form.

But if the ability to save the URL for the search FORM was provided (instead of just the URL for the results,) you could do that.

I hope this clarifies what I'm trying to say.

HotMayoSandwich wrote:
I misunderstood what you were asking, but I went back and copied the URL of an advance search, and it still works even if you don't go though the search criteria selection page.

Example, here are my owned games: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
puzzleme wrote:
Of course after you click Submit, the results are displayed and you can bookmark (save) the URL and always go back to it to get the results for the same exact criteria (as in the URL for your owned games).

Now suppose you wanted to use all the same criteria in the above advanced search, except changing the minimum age to 10. Since the form data don't get saved, you will have to reenter ALL the above criteria again into a new advanced search form.

You can edit the parameters in the URL directly to save having to re-do the form from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Correct me if I'm wrong,, but you essentially would like the ability to permalink the form and save it in your quickbar, or at least be able to bookmark it?

(And I just discovered I don't anything about permalinking ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
You can edit the parameters in the URL directly to save having to re-do the form from scratch.

I don't think you can do this with the URL, but you can run some custom script through your browser which will allow you to pre-fill the search fields before you hit submit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HotMayoSandwich wrote:
col_w wrote:

I don't think you can do this with the URL, but you can run some custom script through your browser which will allow you to pre-fill the search fields before you hit submit.

Yes, you can. Here is the URL for the search with the parameters previously supplied (broken up with carriage returns to fix formatting problems):

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search
&advsearch=1&objecttype=boardgame&q=&include%5Bdesignerid%5D=&geekitemname=&include%5Bpublisherid%5D=&geekitemname=
&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmin%5D=2010&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmax%5D=2017
&range%5Bminage%5D%5Bmax%5D=12
&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmin%5D=7&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmax%5D=10&range%5Bnumvoters%5D%5Bmin%5D=30
&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmin%5D=2&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmax%5D=4
&range%5Bnumweights%5D%5Bmin%5D=20&colfiltertype=&searchuser=col_w
&range%5Bminplayers%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bmaxplayers%5D%5Bmin%5D=&playerrangetype=normal
&range%5Bleastplaytime%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Bplaytime%5D%5Bmax%5D=&B1=Submit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzleme wrote:
@HotMayoSandwich I mean the ability to bookmark (save the URL) for the Advanced search "form" page NOT just for the results page.

Here is an example to further clarify.

Say you do an advance search and enter the following criteria:
- Published 2000 to 2017
- Minimum age: 12
- Average user rating range: 7 to 10 with at least 30 user ratings
- Average gameplay weight: 2 to 4 with at least 20 user weight ratings
- .... and a few other conditions.

Now BEFORE you click Submit you cannot bookmark this form WITH your entered criteria.

But if the ability to save the URL for the search FORM was provided (instead of just the URL for the results,) you could do that.

I second that request. Even only saving your previous choices in your history would be really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
HotMayoSandwich wrote:
col_w wrote:

Yes, you can. Here is the URL for the search with the parameters previously supplied (broken up with carriage returns to fix formatting problems):

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search
&advsearch=1&objecttype=boardgame&q=&include%5Bdesignerid%5D=&geekitemname=&include%5Bpublisherid%5D=&geekitemname=
&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmin%5D=2010&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmax%5D=2017
&range%5Bminage%5D%5Bmax%5D=12
&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmin%5D=7&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmax%5D=10&range%5Bnumvoters%5D%5Bmin%5D=30
&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmin%5D=2&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmax%5D=4
&range%5Bnumweights%5D%5Bmin%5D=20&colfiltertype=&searchuser=col_w
&range%5Bminplayers%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bmaxplayers%5D%5Bmin%5D=&playerrangetype=normal
&range%5Bleastplaytime%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Bplaytime%5D%5Bmax%5D=&B1=Submit
It can be done, but it's not a lot of fun. I've considered streamlining this in some way, but fixing this on site level seems a better solution. (I realise then someone else will have to invest the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Yes, you can. Here is the URL for the search with the parameters previously supplied (broken up with carriage returns to fix formatting problems)

He doesn't want to run the search. He wants the advanced search page to open with the values of his choice already loaded in the fields.

I say, again, that I don't think you can do it with a URL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HotMayoSandwich wrote:
col_w wrote:
Yes, you can. Here is the URL for the search with the parameters previously supplied (broken up with carriage returns to fix formatting problems)

He doesn't want to run the search. He wants the advanced search page to open with the values of his choice already loaded in the fields.

I say, again, that I don't think you can do it with a URL.

I know that's what he wants to do, but since at the moment it can't be done, I provided an alternate method to achieve the same goal (i.e. see your existing criteria and tweak them without having to reload the form and enter everything again).

Another option; since the paremeters used in the URL are known, it would be easy to set up an Excel spreadsheet where you supplied the criteria and it built links for you. Either overwrite the criteria each time, or do a new row each time and have a history of searches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, editing the URL directly would work and that's what I've been doing for a while when needed. But you agree it's very cumbersome and time consuming especially if one uses advanced search often. In fact URL editing finally prompted me to post this suggestion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.