Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't picked up the Borg expansion yet, but should be getting it this week and I'm looking at using them in a game of Ascendancy on Sunday.

I would like to use the non-Delta Quadrant Connection option as I like the idea of the tension of not knowing if the Borg will show up and every turn of an Exploration card bringing that chance. But I'm curious what the actual chances would be of them showing up?

So, for anyone that has the Borg expansion:

1) 10 total Borg exploration cards in a deck that will include the Cardassian, Ferengi, and 50th Anniversary cards....pretty slim chances, right? I'm not good at figuring out percentages, but I imagine that's pretty low.

2) Do the Borg system discs (not counting the Transwarp Hub since you only use it in a Delta Quadrant Connection setup) have a chance to bring the Borg into the game?

3) Has anyone played with this option and, if so, what was your result?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! found a list of the Borg system discs. Looks like there are 2 discs that *could* spawn a cube: the two Transwarp Conduits. But only if someone takes the research token and only if they then roll a 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, looking at this entry:

http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/147/borg-...

If the couple examples of Red Exploration cards shown here are representative, I wonder why you wouldn't just include all 20 Borg Exploration cards in the game, even when not using Delta Quadrant Connection?

I think I may do this as a house rule, just to up the chances of the Borg appearing, but not having them have an immediate and definite presence from the start, like having the Transwarp Hub can give.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calculating the percentage chance of drawing a Borg card if there are 20 cards in a deck of 200 is as easy as 20/200=0.1 or 10%. The chance will go up as you draw more cards.

You could also choose to include the Hub among the system discs to be discovered during exploration if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are optional rules in the back of the Borg Rulebook that have variations on the way that you play. One of them, I believe, is to use all of the cards regardless of if you are playing with the Transwarp Hub or not.

We've always used all of the cards and it is a pretty fair and balanced game still. As Mattias mentioned, it is a 10% chance of running into the Borg at the start of the game (actually slightly higher as you put the 2 non Borg cards per player on top of the deck, which will lower the total cards depending on the number of players). Each time someone draws a card, that percentage will go up slightly as well. It makes it very scary to venture out as no one wants to be the one to run into the Borg first, but at the same time, you need to explore to expand your empire and gain resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Samberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games so far (I don't own the Borg yet) we have always used all exploration cards from the base game and the two other expansions. I find it is too much bother to sort out the ones from the expansions, especially because they are not marked.

So I have been wondering whether I should start sorting them out once the Borg arrive, since playing with all cards in a 3, 2 or even 1 player game seems to significantly alter the chances of encountering the Borg.

What has been the experience of you happy few who have already engaged the Borg? Have you sorted out the expansion cards when playing with less than 5 players? I would be especially interested in the opinion of people who played with and without the expansion cards, if anyone has made it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the rule about putting a certain number of non-phenomenon disks at the top of the system stack? With the Borg expansion, you are also supposed to put a certain number of non-Borg cards at the top of the exploration deck (that includes both the red-symbol Borg cards and the normal ones).

That's too much sorting and shuffling for me, so for both the disks and the encounters, I simply put aside an offending disk or card during the first however many pulls from that stack, and draw again. Once we've drawn enough disks or cards, we shuffle the ones we sat aside back into the stack.

If you wanted to ignore all the red-symbol cards, all the Borg cards, or any certain disks, you could do the same thing (except not shuffle them back in until the end of the game).

I wouldn't bother with ignoring any disks that came with the Borg expansion that don't actually introduce Borg. If you wanted to ignore all the disks that came with the Borg expansion, you'd need to make a list of them. I would just ignore the transwarp hub for a non-red-symbol Borg game and the transwarp conduits for a totally non-Borg game.

Edit: To be clear for those that don't have the expansion yet, while there are system disks that don't jump out and say "I came with the Borg expansion", all of the exploration cards ARE very clearly Borg related. While they have the same formatting and classifications as other cards, they have a distinctive look that sets them apart from any other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.