19 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Alt to Net Runner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played some MTG and now ANR. I really prefer ANR. But I'm also curious as to alternatives to ANR that combine ANR mechanics such as its economy system with "symmetrical" play. In other words, imagine if in ANR you could have corp vs corp and maintain the action and credit economy system.

I also like that ANR is LCR rather than TCG. Suggested alternatives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend of the Five Rings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, I found the My Little Pony: Collectible Card Game to be closer to Netrunner than MTG. You have action points to spend each turn, an identity (your "mane" character), and "problems" that kind of act like agendas, except both players are competing simultaneously to score them.

Obviously the theme is a bit different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wartopia wrote:
I've played some MTG and now ANR. I really prefer ANR. But I'm also curious as to alternatives to ANR that combine ANR mechanics such as its economy system with "symmetrical" play. In other words, imagine if in ANR you could have corp vs corp and maintain the action and credit economy system.

While none of them are exactly what you are looking for, I honestly like ALL of the current LCG's that FFG have out:

Star Wars: The Card Game
Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)

One that has a poker battle system:
Doomtown: Reloaded

One great (and very pretty) LCG with fast back and forth actions:
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

Due to the Games Workshop license this one is done, but is a great game:
Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
I also would recommend Ashes. You roll dice for mana, which mitigates some of the issues in MTG of unlucky land draws or having to anticipate the mana curve.

And you also pick your starting hand of five cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thumbs up for the excellent (if "dead") Warhammer 40k Conquest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I like card games, there are no alternatives to Android: Netrunner. There are other good games, but they are always different and ultimately no match. Netrunner asymmetrical play is the important part of why it is so good and intense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
i also don't think there are games that similar to netrunner,for me it's the assymetrical play,bluffing,piloting matters a lot! (change your gameplan completely vs every faction/id, the diverse deckbuilding ,one id makes a completely different deck! or many more!

some lcgs come close, but most of the time only in the deckbuilding part and the distribution model.

one game that nobody mentioned and it's one of my favorites close or tied with netrunner that has some perks of netrunner, is mage wars, piloting matters a lot,adapting, bluffing is huge,creative playstyles/decks but it adds new things, like no decks in the classic fashion, it plays like a miniature game, so it takes longer (1 hour + )so i m not sure if it fits.

other "similar" games that arent mentioned is Codex i guess.i think we mentioned all the big ones, nothing comes close to netrunner as a gameplay experience imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one to consider is Ortus Regni. You deck build and the structure of your deck influences your gameplay and strategy. Plus there are a boatload of variants. Really a great game and there is an android app if you want to try it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Wartopia wrote:

I usually think that nit-picking for its own sake is usually useless and sometimes rude, so apologies in advance if this rubs funny. But as you continue this conversation here and elsewhere, do note that Netrunner has "asymmetrical" play, meaning the players do different things, as opposed to Magic, which is "symmetrical."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he is well aware of that? He wanted to have ANR mechanics (at least some portion of it) but in a symmetrical environment. Makes sense, theoretically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I think he is well aware of that? He wanted to have ANR mechanics (at least some portion of it) but in a symmetrical environment. Makes sense, theoretically.

In re-reading it I see you are right. OOPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Ashes and star wars destiny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I want is a 4 player or so boardgame that feels like netrunner and without all that deckbuilding stuff. I guess I'm dreaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
What I want is a 4 player or so boardgame that feels like netrunner and without all that deckbuilding stuff. I guess I'm dreaming.

To a certain extent, Chaosmos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wartopia wrote:

Doomtown: Reloaded: It is actually a deeper experience and the deck building is quite a bit different. There is a little more luck in the draw but you can mitigate this by your deck building and skillful play. It is OOP but there is plenty of stuff still out there for it. Miniature Market has almost everything on clearance. You could be bold and buy it all for a little over $100. Just one core is OK too, although I think 2 is better. It has the tight economy on both sides.

However ...

Vampire Empire by Stronghold games is Netrunner as if both players are playing corp and runner at the same time. The advantages to the game is that there is no deck building (this can be a detriment to some) which makes it easier for new players to grasp. However the whole vibe and tension is there just like Netrunner. You have the bluffing and posturing as your life dwindles down (your deck). This one appears on clearance racks all of the time and I got my copy for $2. Definitely worth it to resolve your Netrunner psoriasis. Highly recommended.

Then there is the OOP but still available @ Miniature Market for $11.25 game of Battle for Sularia. It has all of the somewhat confusing terms in play and has a very involved combat system. Just like VE above it feels like you are playing corp and runner at the same time. There are only 2 factions and the company is not supporting the game anymore (there is a small expansion which is hard to find). You can deck build with it and that helps with the variety.

Lastly, there is Zeppelin Attack which has some interesting mechanics and has a bit of the Netrunner vibe as each player plays a different faction. You deck build during the game but the attack and rebuttal mechanics make for some interesting counterplay. This one can also be found on the cheap and is still available at a number of outlets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
NoDicePlease wrote:
Lastly, there is Zeppelin Attack which has some interesting mechanics and has a bit of the Netrunner vibe as each player plays a different faction. You deck build during the game but the attack and rebuttal mechanics make for some interesting counterplay. This one can also be found on the cheap and is still available at a number of outlets.

Zeppelin Attack is a decent little game, plays pretty fast, works fine with 2 or 3 from personal experience. It has a little bit of asymmetry, not too much. I should probably grab another copy while I can.

The Agents can be played symmetrically, or with Commanders and about as much asymmetry as Zeppelin Attack, and also plays fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Kando
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mage Wars is worth checking out.

Symmetrical mage dual like Magic.
Factions and identities like Netrunner.
In-game tactics like Netrunner.

Mana is a universal currency.
You generate a set amount each turn.
(Cards can increase decrease this, for economy win / denial strategies.)

Mage is a character on a 3x4 grid map.
Monster summons go directly to map
and then you control them in addition to mage.
Each round, all creatures (mage included) get an action and a move.

No randomized draw pile -
you pick two cards you want to use in secret from your deck.
Attacks use dice to introduce some randomization.

Core set is a standalone balanced board game.
2-4 player cutthroat or 2v2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.