Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our red charter seems to have hit a dead end. We went back through his crates and matches them to the index We are only in game 4, so he should have more cards to unlock. What should we do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important thing to remember is that buildings and the resulting crates are not tied to any particular charter.

All building routes have a branch, but do end at a point.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
usually with one to three 20 point buildings, with no additional crates on them.

Once you have reached the end of a branch, just grab another crate from the advancement deck, and keep exploring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Crates and buildings aren’t tied to a particular charter. Between games you must return unbuilt buildings and unopened crates (in excess of your capacity) to the supply where anyone can buy and build them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I get it. We were playing so that the buildings linked to our charter states there. We did not keep the ones picked from the advancement track. I was confused when at the end of this particular game my yellow guy drew a red persona. I was kind of weirded out.
Speaking of personas, if the beginning chain of buildings aren't set to a specific charter should we all be holding a smorgasbord of personas that aren't the starting one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the personas are also note tied to any particular charter. you can draw a persona that is not like your starting one and you can use it without any problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we will try and play it that way with the recharge pack. I don't think it would be fair to anybody, except the person that hit the dead end to change it now. They clearly have more built than anyone else. I don't think anyone else could catch up :/
That being said my enjoyment level has dipped considerably in the last few hours. The rules are not very clear. We have been playing wrong for several games. Now I find that we are naming people that we aren't actually growing and developing at all. I feel like I stole my sister's character when I got the red guy. I just sat him aside, and said why would I possibly want to switch to your guy when I love my chubby yellow guy? I am super disappointed.
Thanks to everyobe that answered though. You clarified a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antigone: Can you please specify the rules that haven't been clear? It sounds like you made up a rule about building/unlocking and that you missed the Persona rule, so it doesn't seem like it's a clarity problem. Just play by the rules as written and your enjoyment shouldn't suffer.

The personas are new skills you've acquired--I'm not sure why this is disappointing to you. You are still your chubby yellow guy, and you have a variety of skills to choose from based on what you unlock. It is specifically noted on the Persona rules card--see the last bullet point.

I'd highly recommend that you read the FAQ: https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/faq/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it started off at the end of game one, when we could not figure out how to proceed to game 2. We had to Google instructions. I was unable to find anything in the book about it.

Then we got confused and thought that the buildings specific to our charter stayed in our boxes. With them we kept the personas because they were also in the charter spefic crates. It had little to do with "making up" rules, but misunderstanding them. I am not sure what rule number is for personas, but even now I don't see one in the book.

That being said we kept buildings and built them fast. Long before we got clouds we were running out of places to build with no further direction on building over old ones or how to move on. Once again we were stuck.

Most of this was created by the misunderstanding that we were not to keep our charter buildings. We discarded everything else cardwise at the end of the game. All of the helpers, items, non crate earned buildings, etc.

We were under the impression that our character and our resource were ours to cultivate and now we learn that they aren't. In the recharge we are going to try again, but this particular game is pretty much a lost cause.

We also have no idea what to do with the minion cards. Apparently different people can control those as well, but when and how do they pass hands?

Yesterday I loved this game, but today I wish we had just kept doing what we were doing and hadn't tried to correct it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagara_Venteel wrote:
I am not sure what rule number is for personas, but even now I don't see one in the book.

Rule 5

we got tripped up by not pulling out CARD 13 at the appropriate time in game one but we recovered - this might have been where you went wrong, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have rule 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The note about playing Game 2 are on card 21 (the card that should be at the front of the Index now.

The persona rule is rule 5--it's a sticker on the second page of the Chronicle. It's the third bullet point I'm referring to.

The game specifically says in a number of places that you keep everything from Game 1 to Game 2.

Minion cards are reference cards--this is noted on the first paragraph on rule 16.

I'm the first to admit that Charterstone is a fragile game--if you miss a rule or create rules that aren't written in the Chronicle or on the cards, your experience with the game can take a turn for the worse. But the rules are there (and the FAQ is there to support the rules). If you take this journey again (or for those reading this for the first time), I'd highly recommend double checking each other as you read through the rules to make sure you don't miss anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have rule 5 in my book, so we missed it somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When we unlock a crate I have my wife read off what cards to pull and I pull the cards. Then I double check she told me all the right cards. So far we have not missed any cards (although it looks like we played one rule wrong about minions).

I suggest having someone in your group double check which cards get pulled when you unlock a crate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the very first game, before you began Game 1, this is the card that should have led you to rule 5 (card 15, right after card 14). Do you still have this card in your Index?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. We looked for it last night after we were informed what rule to look for. It has been added to the book.

What rule number tells us that our crate cards are not linked to our specific charter?

We decided last night that at the end of this playthrough we were going to go through the index and pull out all the rules to complete the rulebook, so before the recharge we can go over it thoroughly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"What rule number tells us that our crate cards are not linked to our specific charter?"

Rule 19 (Unlocking a Crate) tells you to refer to the Index Guide to determine what to do with a crate. The Index Guide says in the "Gain" column: "gained by the player who opens this crate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I will look over that again when I get home from work.

I am not trying to be difficult. I am just trying to figure out what we did and how to fix it next time. I really do appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Arnemann
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
FritzBraun wrote:
Between games you must return unbuilt buildings and unopened crates (in excess of your capacity) to the supply where anyone can buy and build them.

Shocking!

Like some other players we thought crates and buildings are always returned to the Players box.

Which is correct after game 1. So as we just finished game 2 no harm should be done yet - we just return the Cards to the supply before starting game 3.

But how do we get buildings and crates from the supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They are shuffled into the advancement deck and can be acquired by using the Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralf: Make sure you've extracted cards 1-20 from the Index (and read card 21). Those cards include rules for capacity.

Buildings and crates are advancement cards, so any discarded cards are shuffled into the advancement deck at the beginning of the game. You'll gain them by using buildings like the Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Arnemann
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
Thank you both for your help.
I didn't notice buildings/crates have the normal advancement card symbol on their backside.

Everything should now be easy (except telling my gamers we will not have all the stuff available at the start of game 3 we expected to have ...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimensione Arcana
Italy
Moretta
Cuneo
flag msg tools
mb
Nagara_Venteel wrote:
Ok. I get it. We were playing so that the buildings linked to our charter states there. We did not keep the ones picked from the advancement track. I was confused when at the end of this particular game my yellow guy drew a red persona. I was kind of weirded out.
Speaking of personas, if the beginning chain of buildings aren't set to a specific charter should we all be holding a smorgasbord of personas that aren't the starting one?

I like to use the Persona card I choose every game under my starting Charter-founder card(the one I wrote the name over), so that the Persona looks just like an ability on an extra-long card of my charachter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.