Hide
6 Posts

Dark Mages» Forums » Rules

Subject: Companions Rules Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nic Reade
msg tools
My fiancee and I LOVE this game, but we have come up with a few questions around companions which we can't answer using the game rules or the FAQ on the game website:

1) The rulebook states that when a companion is in defense mode, they receive damage instead of their controlling mage. Are damage spells directed against the mage therefore rolled against the companion's armor class, or the armor class of their controlling mage? (we have been playing the latter).

2) Can you choose to cast damage spells on an enemy companion who is in attack mode?

3) I have seen in other posts by the game's creator that if you have an animal companion in defense mode, and the enemy casts infection, that it automatically targets your companion, with both the infection and all relevant saving throws being applied to the companion instead of the mage. Is this true for other hexes like Garden Gnome? Is it also true for spell/scroll effects that destroy equipment etc, meaning that having a companion in defense mode effectively protects their mage from all debuffs?

4) In the rulebook, it mentions that animal companions can be chosen as the attack targets for other animal companions. Does that mean that an animal companion in ally mode can choose to attack another animal companion in ally mode instead of the enemy mage?

Sorry for the long post, but really hoping for some clarification on these points, as we love the concept of companions in a game like this, and want to be sure we are using them as the creators intended

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bleney
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi and thank you for your questions. Here are the answers:

1) Once a companion is in defense mode, every spells, hexes or scrolls (even an attack from an enemy) are directed to the companion. You use the companion armor class and HP. Once the companion dies, you remove it. The extra damages are not transfered to the mage.

2) Yes of course. All companions are independant. You can attack them and they can attack mages or other companion.

3) Yes its true. The companion receive all damages or hexes etc.

4) Yes of course

Best regarda
Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nash
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a follow up companion question. If I cast a hex on a mage - say infection and they fail their save, so the infection becomes permanent. Then later that mage adds a companion, does the hex continue to apply to the Mage and the Mage has to make a saving throw each turn or take damage or does it switch to the companion. We played keeping it on the Mage. Thank you! Very fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bleney
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi Scott and thank you for your question and comment!

Yes, you keep the infection on the mage!!

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nash
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response! That does make the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bleney
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You are welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.