Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Does This Game Live Up to the Hype? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see the glowing reviews and pictures on FB, but since I haven't heard a peep from the incredible people at Funagain, I have to wonder, how much of it is hype and people excited about their new toy, and how much of it is genuine praise and somewhat objective analysis of this new game?

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen to the latest episode of The good, the board and the ugly podcast. Joe salin liked it:
https://goodboardugly.podbean.com/e/the-good-the-board-and-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played twice and love it. Definitely a great game. Which I had purchased the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those of you that have played and enjoyed it, what do you like most about it?

How does this game compare to others in the genre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it three times now and really enjoy it.

I also wish I had purchased the expansions. The retail prices listed on the kickstarter page threw me off as I imagined that retail meant I could buy them later in retail for a bit more after actually playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The replayability is excellent with all the unit options.

The strategy is intense. Do you go for combat or go for a strategic objective victory?

I enjoy the unique dice combat mechanic.

Overall the game is so well done.

I look forward to exploring the various maps and units to see how deep the game goes.

Plus the figures are beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timmontana wrote:
I have played it three times now and really enjoy it.

I also wish I had purchased the expansions. The retail prices listed on the kickstarter page threw me off as I imagined that retail meant I could buy them later in retail for a bit more after actually playing the game.

Yeah, I too was thrown off by those. That, and the "Kickstarter Exclusive" annotations that certain expansions had. Silly me to think that expansions that weren't labeled as Kickstarter Exclusive are actually exclusive to Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 5 skirmish games of various types (1v1, 3 player free for all, 4 player free for all) we have found there are lots of layers to this game. It is not just run out and bash the other guy...although it is tempting to try and do so.

A chess analogy fits well. Gods are a mix between queens & kings (queen-like power, but the importance of the king)... Monsters are rooks...heroes are bishops/knights....troops are pawns.

The dual goal of defeating the opponents' forces but also gathering omphalos keeps you flexible.

The boards are big enough to allow a little bit of strategic drawn up, but tight enough you can't turtle, run, or hide for too long.

Card management has a lot of nuance that I don't think we have even begun to understand fully.

I look forward to lots more gaming and learning...

Believe the hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the group who loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, so far the praise seems to be nearly universal. Pretty much the only strong criticism I've heard is of the solo mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
Wow, so far the praise seems to be nearly universal. Pretty much the only strong criticism I've heard is of the solo mode.

Solo from the beginning was really never a strong suite of this game. Time and time again, the devs have told people that this was a skirmish/ multiplayer type of game and while solo mode could be added, the experience would not be as great as that of skirmish mode.

So for the game's primary target audience, it's an overall win for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I have only played the tutorial scenario (in the game manual) to learn the game. Aside from the wonderful aesthetics (the artworks and the minis), I think the mechanics of this game is masterful and it is an excellent game. I particularly like the dice mechanic; it is unique, fun and very smart. I can see this game has tons of replayability.

Now I just have to go and paint all the miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
nexbot wrote:

The compendium has a fully co op campaign consisting of 6 scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean lukie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up to about 20 games now with just core set and small expansions. (all the rest come tomorrow!) we have played a lot of 1v1 skirmish, a few scenarios and a 3 player free for all. We love it we have found the scenarios can be too one sided in a couple of instances and the getting started scenario heavily favors ares. Other than that, it's fantastic. The drafting, the card play and manipulation of your decks and the choice to be made with the die rolls really make it unique and endlessly replayable.

Currently by far my favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This game is a 10/10 for me. Wonderful mechanics all around.
Only played skirmish so far though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the obvious production quality and simple mechanics with deep strategy and replayability what I'm loving about this game:
-After set up, the table is clean, just the board and the units boards
-Takes seconds to play it again just swapping sides
-All powers and abilities are very thematic, hence immersive
-Each match is about 1 hour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.