Subject: We are creating a new version of HLG. Main changes listed below: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dannyp Parker
msg tools
Updates to Hitler’s Last Gamble
12/24/2017

German
1) Strength: Sturmpz 217 is 2-1-6 (rather than 1-2-6)

2) 150 Pz Brigade is made up of three battalion sized units rather than the previous brigade sized 5-4-7. The special rules for the previous panzer brigade apply to each of the components. They may not move until “release towns” are captured that provide potential freedom of movement:
a. They consist of three components:
150 Pz/KG X (Hardieck) 3-2-7 (M-10/Mk V silhouette) [sets up w/KG Peiper: 0314] [Release: turn after Stavelot is captured]
150 Pz/KG Y (Scherf) 3-2-7 (StuG silhouette) [sets up with KG Kuhlmann: 0208]
[release turn after Rocherath is captured]
150 Pz/KG Z (Wulf) 2-2-8 (armored infantry) [sets up with 12/89: 0513]
[release turn after Malmedy is captured]

b. 150 Pz. Brigade elements cannot move until the towns are captured that indicate they can move freely in advance (see above); otherwise they are released on the 19 AM turn and then may move freely from then on.
c. There are eleven Einheit Steilau units rather than eight; they move normally as described in the rules. They are part of the standard game.

3) 506 Panzer Battalion may enter at half strength (3-4-5) or full strength (5-7-5). Roll the die on 17 AM turn for time of appearance:
a. 1-2: Enters on 17 AM turn at ‘T’ at half strength
b. 3-4: Enters on 20 AM at ‘T’ at half strength
c. 5-6: Enters on 25 AM at ‘T’ at full strength

4) Remove the 5 PzA/614 Pzjgr Kompanie (was not in the Ardennes and is removed from the game). It is replaced by H.Gru.B/s. PzKp Hummel, a 2-2-5 Tiger I unit arriving on 17 AM at Y.

5) The full strength of the von der Heydte parachute unit is changed to a 1-2-5; the reduced strength is still a 0-1-5. On a die roll of 1 or 2 it arrives at full strength, on a 3, 4 or 5 it lands at reduced strength. On a die roll of six it is lost and eliminated.

6) Führer Begleit Brigade: 7-5-7 (102: Mk IV), 3-4-6 (200: StuG), 7-8-6 (102: PzGr), New units: 2-4-6 (673 Flak Rgt), 3-2-8 KG Remer (Halftrack), All morale ‘1’

7) Führer Grenadier Brigade: 7-7-7 (Mk V) battalion

8) A new artillery unit enters a reinforcement along with the 9.SS Panzer Division at ‘U’
a. 503 SS Artillery Battalion (2-4-5) [range of 4]

9) The 5PzA/653 Jagtiger unit has an altered strength: 4-5-3 (changed from 3-5-4), but enters the game at reduced strength if it appears (2-3-3) at R-U.

10) The 6Pz/394 and 6Pz/667 StuG have a strength of 2-3-6, but start the game at reduced strength (1-2-6)

11) The strength of the German flak units is altered:
a. All 1-4-6 except 7A/15 Flak which is a 2-5-6
b. All 88mm AT units (6PzA/683, 7A/657, 7A/668), are modified to a 1-3-6 strength

12) The British 2HHC is changed from a 3-2-8 to a 2-2-8 with the silhouette of Daimler scout car (same armor strength as halftrack)
a.

13) The British 29th Armored is changed from a single unit to three armored battalions, all that have a full strength of 3-3-7, but enter at reduced strength (2-2-7)
a. 2 FFY, 3 RT, 23 HUS; enter at 2-2-7 strength

14) The British 33rd Armored Brigade is altered to a full strength of 10-7-7 (5-4-7 R)

15) The British 34th Armored Brigade is altered to a full strength of 9-7-7 (5-4-7 R)

16) The British 6th Guard Tank Brigade is altered to a full strength of 9-7-7 (5-4-7 R)

17) Each of the British Guards Armored (GA) tank units are changed from 4-3-7s to 5-4-7s

Set-up
All three regiments of the 272 VG Division start the game at reduced strength
326/753 sets up in hex 0705 (Kesternich) with the reduced 272/981 Regiment
a. A new unit 501 SS Artillery Battalion (3-4-5) sets up on 0112. [range of 4]

Arrival
1) Pz Lehr/559 (Jagdpanther TD unit) does not start on the map at 0724, but rather enters as a reinforcement on the 17 AM turn at ‘Y’. Rather than a 2-2-6, it has a strength of 3-4-6.

2) S. 301 Pz Battalion (a 3-4-5, Tiger I unit) potentially arrives on 23 AM at U-X with elements of the 9th Panzer Division on a die roll of 1-3; otherwise it does not arrive due to destruction of the German railway system west of the Rhine.

3) 15A/1001 Sturmtiger Company (1-1-4) does not start the game on 0302, but rather enters at ‘R’ any turn after the German player captures the town of Eupen or any of the three Liege hexes (this does not include the German parachute drop). The unit does not enter the game otherwise. Its earliest possible time of entry is the 18 AM turn.

Depleted Units:
All five units of the 25th Panzer Grenadier Division only arrive in the game at reduced strength in the described variant if they arrive at all.
All of the leader unit are removed from the game as well as the rules associated with them.

New Rating
ALL unit have a morale Rating from 1-8. In combat, the defender and attack compare their unit in a battle with the best morale. The player with the better morale receives an odds shift in their favor. A similar morale gives no effect

Morale Ratings
German: Morale (all units are morale 4 unless otherwise noted)
1: 1st SS, FBB
2: 2SS, 12SS, Pz Lehr, 2 Pz, 150 PzBrig, (all non-SS Tiger units)
3: 9SS, 10SS, FGB, 9 Pz, 116 Pz, 11 Pz, 12 VG, 26 VG, von der Heydte unit
4: 3 PzGr, 15 PzGr, 5 FJ, 212 VG
5: 9 VG, 18 VG, 340 VG, 352 VG, 560 VG, 326 VG, 272 VG
6: 3 FJ, 62 VG, 79 VG, 89 ID, 277 VG,
7: 276 VG
8: Bns: 999 Penal, 44th MG, 669 Ost

Allied: Morale (all units are morale 4 unless otherwise noted)
1: 82 Abn, 101 Abn
2: 1st ID, 2 AD, 3 AD, 4 AD, GDS Armored, BR 6 Abn
Bns: 740 Tnk
3: 6 AD, 9 ID, 30 ID, 4 ID, BR 43, BR 51, BR 53, BR 29 ABrig, BR 2 HHC
Bn: 705 TD, 774 Tnk
4: 80 ID, 83 ID, 10 AD, 5 ID, 28 ID, 5 AD, 84 ID, 99 ID, 17 Abn, BR 33 ABrig, BR 34 ABrig
5: 35 ID, 26 ID
6: 11 AD, 78 ID, 9 AD
7: 75 ID, 87 ID
8: 106 ID

Map & Rules
All of the slope (contour) hexsides are removed from the map and the rules associated with them.

Last (but not least), totally new Box Art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very good news thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I can't wait to get a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edmund hudson
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Wonderful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edmund hudson
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Who is going to publish it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compass Games is the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am assuming all the errata will be incorporated in the rules, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All errata will be incorporated but it is more than that. There is new terrain: marshes and severe terrain, morale ratings, a revised OoB and several other new concepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beach

Burlington
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one I will pre-order hands down. Thanks Compass for moving this one out the door as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Veenenberg
Netherlands
Vinkeveen
flag msg tools
Danny please switch the morale of the excellent FGB and lousy 150 pz Bde. The FGB was a far superior unit compared to the lousy 150 pz bde.
FBB did posses I/Führer Flak Regiment (= 1 batallion sized unit).I wonder where the 673rd Flak Regiment came from in some of the latest books on the Bulge.

Please do read my improved and shortened rulebook to HLG. I much simplified the original complex stacking rules, ZOC-rules aso.
I also improved rules about the famous German Kampfgruppen.

NB in your original OB, you forgot one of the 2 SS Nebelwerfer units!! Don't forget that unit now....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Veenenberg
Netherlands
Vinkeveen
flag msg tools
The two things I liked most on HLG were the large beautiful map and the fine German field grey and US green/brownish colored units with white colored letters and fine beautiful white silhouettes (except sdkfz 251 and Elephant Tiger) with armor type ratings.

The best game on the Ardeness now is undoubtly the latest edition of "Ardennes 44" of GDW. Counters being a little bit larger. The map is very functional but also depicts the terrain in a perfect way.

What most designers forget is that the steep valleys inn the north (around Eupen, Malmedy and Trois Ponts and the Elsenborn ridge) could only be followed by armored units. There is NO WAY they can leave the roads there!!!! Ardennes 44 depicts the terrain along the winding river gorges as very difficult. That is well done, because entering that terrain was impossible for motorised units. Likewise many thick forests were likewise impassable terrain for motorised vehicles, which almost exclusively moved along roads or just in the vincinity of the roads.

All German units moved UNSTACKED and confronted enemy units with the SPITZE of such a formation (mostly Kampfgruppe).
Most combat in the Ardennes also was between only a few vehicles (AFV's) or AT guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this.

SPI BFTA is one of my top 5 favorite wargames. I thought one of the best parts of the BFTA 1944 Campaign game with all 4 maps was the German Strategic goals/options for what they are trying to accomplish. I hope something similar is in this updated HLG game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.