25 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: People who enjoyed it...what was I missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Dyson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I played this with a friend and a couple of strangers at a local meetup. I personally thought it was possibly the most boring game I've played in years. Then, when I looked at the reviews, expecting validation...everyone else seems to like it. What was I missing? The 'challenges' are mostly pure luck of the dice (or pure luck of making the right call out of various options with no way to tell which is going to be better). I didn't really feel like I made a single meaningful decision (where I had enough information to attempt to find the best option, but it wasn't obvious) during the entire game. Having to pretty much repeat the whole thing from scratch multiple times is hideously boring - once you know how to progress through the early game, there's no longer any challenge whatsoever. The 'story' was pretty generic; I honestly feel like my copy of Arkham Horror (2005) tells a more interesting story most of the time, and it's pretty much just throwing together random elements.

In conclusion: what made you enjoy this experience? Why am I apparently an outlier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ewokonfire wrote:
I played this with a friend and a couple of strangers at a local meetup. I personally thought it was possibly the most boring game I've played in years. Then, when I looked at the reviews, expecting validation...everyone else seems to like it. What was I missing? The 'challenges' are mostly pure luck of the dice (or pure luck of making the right call out of various options with no way to tell which is going to be better). I didn't really feel like I made a single meaningful decision (where I had enough information to attempt to find the best option, but it wasn't obvious) during the entire game. Having to pretty much repeat the whole thing from scratch multiple times is hideously boring - once you know how to progress through the early game, there's no longer any challenge whatsoever. The 'story' was pretty generic; I honestly feel like my copy of Arkham Horror (2005) tells a more interesting story most of the time, and it's pretty much just throwing together random elements.

In conclusion: what made you enjoy this experience? Why am I apparently an outlier?

It's not a board game in the normal sense. It's a story you experience cooperatively with a group of people. Only people who enjoy that pure sense of exploring a story will likely enjoy this. I think it probably works best played with friends in a relaxed manner. But if the story falls flat then yeah it's not going to be that fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot guys out there that feel like you, it’s just not for everyone

We liked the game for the mystery of seeing what is going on and the cool mechanic where you rewind time. And the really awesome puzzle where we stumbled for half an hour before we had the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greatly depends on how you played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big puzzle in Asylum was pretty much the only thing that kept me going to try the other boxes. That's a great puzzle. The art is pretty nice, also, and I like that each mission has its own art style.

Asylum is very basic as far as what this game is capable of. I personally think it was a big mistake to package the least replayable, most basic mission as the only thing you get in the base box. Prophecy of Dragons is far more interesting mechanically and should have been the starting point (I know it was used to demo the game pre-release).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
The big puzzle in Asylum was pretty much the only thing that kept me going to try the other boxes. That's a great puzzle. The art is pretty nice, also, and I like that each mission has its own art style.

Asylum is very basic as far as what this game is capable of. I personally think it was a big mistake to package the least replayable, most basic mission as the only thing you get in the base box. Prophecy of Dragons is far more interesting mechanically and should have been the starting point (I know it was used to demo the game pre-release).

I'm glad they didn't package Prophecy of Dragons with the game, as that would have turned me off the game forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ewokonfire wrote:

I have no answers, but if you want validation, my opinion of the game is exactly as yours. You're not alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this would be a good game to play with strangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think others have mentioned a similar idea but I got hooked on the TIME Stories concept based on the "story" and "puzzly" parts of the game. I liked the game where that you have to read and figure what is happening in the story so you do have to explore various options while at the same time you are limited in time. This leads to making some difficult decisions - do you explore this room for more info or go with your gut and do something else. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't which leads you to replay the run.

It is true that the episodes are basic single play-thrus e.g. once you solve it then the game is done. For us it has been a wonderful experience - I still act as a pseudo-GM and re-run the basic game with new people.

The second part are the puzzles - without giving away spoilers - all the cases have some neat puzzles (some better than others).

So far after playing thru 4 (Asylum, Marcy, Prophecy and Mask), the Asylum is still our favorite. I got the next two (Endurance and Lumen) on my shelf which will get played soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Bock
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I like my beer like I like my board games...
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:

100% agreed here. A big part of the joy for our team has been getting together, just our group of 4, to dive back in. Strangers would be so uncomfortable :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, pretty standard response for someone who wasn’t hooked by the do-over gimmick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indjk wrote:
slydog75 wrote:

100% agreed here. A big part of the joy for our team has been getting together, just our group of 4, to dive back in. Strangers would be so uncomfortable :/

Yes I just don't see this in the same category as games that are fun to play with random people you mert at a game event. Its a social expeeience with friends like an escape room for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Pacoima
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope you didn't miss anything. Most people that don't like what the game does, don't like the game. Your response is pretty standard and most likely won't change.

I love the game for its immersion in storytelling, and mystery solving and our group has enjoyed the each new mission as we bring the context of previous missions with us.

This game is absolutely one of my favorites but absolutely not for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a lot of people just read the cards to each other, which is not correct and massively rips the story telling from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lambert
United Kingdom
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games not for you - simples.
And you wont find any game on this site in which the same is not true for somebody.

I could go and write a Similar post on a number of popular games, but at the end of the day I know its just one of my preferences.

And the same applies for every game ever made. There is ALWAYS going to be more people who don't like any specific game than those that do - its simple maths in respect to population.
Take it further and the same applies to 'everything' and not just boardgames - there's always going to be more people dislike something than like one thing, even the most popular pop/rock stars have more people in the world dislike their music than like it...... Um perhaps part of the reason why social media seems so much more negative than people would expect?

I think the thing for you, is not to get hung up on perhaps why the game has a good BGG score but doesn't work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Rocha
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not a game to play with strangers.
I just finished Asylum with a group of friends and most of the fun was indeed from the storytelling and incorporating the characters. That's very hard with people you don't know well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Schneider
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think your observations are wrong at all, and conclusions differ from person to person.

After my girlfriend and I had played the game for the first time, she loved it (finding it easy to immerse herself and figuring out things) while I hated it. I hated the notion that I had to memorize things, hated how much it felt like the game rushed me (not a huge fan of time limits), hated the potential for tedium and repetition - just, most of it.

Then we started taking notes, which is something I honestly should have done from the beginning. That's kind of where my enjoyment flipped from "if I wanted to play Memory, I'd play Memory" to "hey, this is actually building a story". Yeah, it's not replayable, but neither are Escape Rooms, which both of us are huge fans of. Since we were using notes, we had everything - room for roleplaying, actual progress, the ability to actually figure out the right sequence of steps to get things just right, and contingency plans in case the dice saw it differently.

In fact, on our last Asylum run, we had a near-perfect plan figured out, until the dice kept us from obtaining a crucial item. This led to us going an entirely different route than the one we had planned, finishing the scenario anyway at a high rating, but in a way different fashion from what we'd planned. This kind of made the game for me - got the rating up from a 6 to an 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

I'm glad they didn't package Prophecy of Dragons with the game, as that would have turned me off the game forever.

Yeah. We hated Prophecy of Dragons. Stuck it straight up for trade.

It really scarred us. We loved the first two and now we can’t seem to get Under the Mask to the table. We went do far as setting it up and opening the first location.

Worried the magic has left us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nemspy wrote:
murksofus wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

It really scarred us. We loved the first two and now we can’t seem to get Under the Mask to the table. We went do far as setting it up and opening the first location.

I consider Prophecy of Dragons the last great one (despite the balance problems).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
nemspy wrote:
murksofus wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

I consider Prophecy of Dragons the last great one (despite the balance problems).

I think the problem for us was the D&D fantasy theme, I think. As someone who grew up playing that in the late 70s through late 80s, I think I'm completely burnt out on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shepherd
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
My gaming group are anticipating the next installment. Every game I own is another adventure I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy of dragons finally killed the game for me. The game does not offer many meaningful decisions and when the story is weak each repeated run is painfull.

Basically the story element of this game is too thin due to limited space to tell one. Adding a bland vanilla D&D story does not help. Willing to sell my collection up to under the mask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I actually like how everyone has a different expansion that they liked most and one that they liked least. It shows that it can be quite versatile in both theme and mechanics that can appeal to different people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Daigle
Canada
L'Ancienne-Lorette
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
"DO NOT PRAY! If you pray, your hands will close together. You will not be able to fight!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved my first 2 missions : Asylum and Marcy Case. I knew the mechanics we ok at best. But it doesnt matter. None of the gameplay mechanics really matters. What I enjoyed was the interactions with my team, the story and the mysteries (trying to find the right clues is challenging). We get into the story a lot trying to act like Time Agents. It's mindlessly fun. Sure, there ain't a LOT of story on each mission but it's enough to hook us for the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU NICHOLAS !!!!

I just spent 6+ hours playing The Asylum with friends, and believe me, it was perhaps one of the most excruciating game experiences I can recall. Hell, with STRANGERS at least I would have made some new acquaintances along the way!

Highly recommend that anyone who agrees to play this first watch some online videos to be Certain they want to invest their valuable T.I.M.E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.