Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
She got if for me for Christmas, and--gasp!--agreed to play me in a game! (Every now and then the stars align...)

I played the UN, and she played the Martians. I love the game. Simple mechanics but complex game play--perfect combination. I think a lot of thought went into the design of the cards, because the books/show make it clear that Mars has a tactical advantage in space, and numerous times during the game, my plans were foiled in a way that reflected that. I would want to use a card for the Action Points (APs), but the event would allow Mars to wreak havoc in space, so I had to often take the event myself. This pushed me into slugging my way through space operations (at a disadvantage) instead of going for my optimal play, which is distributing more influence.

Wife enjoyed the game, even though my UN walloped her Mars. She had difficulty understanding the interplay between dominating orbitals and my diplomatic advantage in bases, but she got the hang of it.

The main dynamic in the game seems to be carefully manipulating the scoring rounds over two turns. You set up where you want to take advantage, and then hope you can secure the scoring card the next turn. If you orchestrate it well, you can leap way ahead. She did it to me once. I did it to her three times.

Next I'm going to solo all four factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised an expert in strategy such as yourself would have failed to follow the most basic strategy lesson of all: always let your wife win!

Merry Christmas, Robert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Thanks, Craig. The test will come when I ask her to play again. Anyway, like most of my collection, I can play this one solo. In the meantime, my wife is up for another game of "Fog of Love"--a game I backed on Kickstarter just for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a chance - I think the 4 player version is the best. Amazing and crazy amount of wheeling and dealing for influence between UN, Mars, OPA and Protogen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd love to do a 4-player. Alas, though, I have no friends. So I will have to solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Deare
Canada
flag msg tools
The game seems unbalanced at two players slightly if you play again let your wife be the UN depending on cards i am not sure space control is as strong as the UN diplomats and two action cards at 0. The game is built for 4 it seems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.