Ilya K
msg tools
mbmbmb
We have finished our season 2 today.

Please do not read on if you didn't!

At the beginning of the campaign we were filled with anticipation and excitement - we have so much to discover, which very soon perished and made us feel very confused. Even we were not very clever and didn't discover the connect the city + search from discard pile combo for some time even though it is available quite early we finished our game with no searchable city cards left unsearched, and for 3 month were unable to complete 3 objectives - at first we have connected everything we could, than we have searched everything we could, than.. well, we were punished because we wanted to discover as much as possible as fast as we could - that felt bad.
The story tells us that we are trying to help humanity and build up the grid which will help everyone, but the objectives prognosis tells you - safe undone things for the next month, because there might be nothing to do and you will just lose. Want to have an optimal winning strategy? Go for the minimal impact! This, may be, was the most upsetting - want to win? Don't affect the map.
It was true in the finale as well - an unconnected red city was a valuable resource which was used in order to win the game - one more so much needed red card in the discard pile.

So, i can't say the game is bad, there are a lot of new things we didn't have in Season 1, but season 1 felt like a one whole game, and season 2 has a lot of new (and nice! absolutely loved deck management and recons) mechanics and design solutions which do not sing/work together so well. I believe if you play this game and do more or less what game designers thought you will do you will be very happy with the game and would not share my opinion : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony K
msg tools
mb
I would argue that there is a thematically connected reason as to why you should not connect every city immediately. Connecting to these cities further exposes them to the plague. It would be irresponsible to increase the exposure to the plague without the resources to protect them from the plague.

My group connected every city to the grid before the last game and even though we didn't have the ability to add a red card to the discard pile like you did, we were still able to win.

It seems weird to complain that a game was unwinnable if you don't "do what the designers thought you will do." I don't think it's too much for designers to expect their players to have some foresight. Otherwise there would be an enormous array of complaints for players to have:

We couldn't win any games past June because the game designers thought we would find another haven to increase our total supplies.
We kept losing because the game designers thought we would put supply cubes out after they had been removed.
It became impossible to unlock anything because the game designers thought we wouldn't throw out all our numbered boxes.
We painted ourselves in to a corner and it's the paint manufacturer's fault.
You get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya K
msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all - my review has no intentions of hurting feelings, if you feel offended by it - i am sorry, that was not what i thought this review will do. whistle

However, i also would like to defend my point.

If i didn't break the rules and did not look to break the game and still i end up in an unwinnable situation - it is a design flaw which i would like to be addressed, say, in the next season perhaps.

Also, as far as i understand the lore, whole world is on fire, and you actually help people by connecting cities to the grid and delivering supplies which otherwise they do not have. So, NOT connecting cities feels like gaming the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.