Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread can contain spoilers.

I just saw episode 8 and they said in the prologue story that the new republic has been destroyed.

When? How?

1. Maybe it was destroyed in episode 7 but even after watching it twice, there is no mention of the new republic being destroyed. The only possibility is that the planets destroyed by the starkiller could have been the home of the new republic. Still I would have thought, that the home would be corruscant, but they never mentionned corruscant was destroyed either.

2. Maybe it could have been destroyed before the start of episode 7 which would explain why there is a resistance in the first place. But from what I remember they seems to refer once to the new republic in episode 7 as something that still exists. Which made me wonder while both the NR and the resistance where 2 separate group.

3. Last option, it happened between ep7 and 8 with a snap of fingers. We just skipped that important part of the story.

Anybody have clarifications?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hosnian System which was destroyed by the Starkiller was the current seat of the New Republic Senate and therefore was the defacto capital of the New Republic. The majority of the New Republic fleet was also located there and destroyed in the attack. Obviously there are many other star systems in the New Republic but after the destruction of the Hosnian system these other systems are clearly vulnerable to the First Order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It was destroyed in the opening scroll of episode 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Hosnian System which was destroyed by the Starkiller was the current seat of the New Republic Senate and therefore was the defacto capital of the New Republic.

Thanks for the clarification. It was not properly explained in the movie. It felt like if they blew up some random system to scare people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:
The Hosnian System which was destroyed by the Starkiller was the current seat of the New Republic Senate and therefore was the defacto capital of the New Republic.

Thanks for the clarification. It was not properly explained in the movie. It felt like if they blew up some random system to scare people.

Yeah, it was glossed over so quickly it was easy to miss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
larienna wrote:
Quote:

I feel like it's pretty hard to miss actually. In one of their chats with Snoke, Hux says that they're going to use the weapon to destroy the Republic. In his big speech, Hux says that they are about to destroy the Republic. When they see the beams in the sky at Maz's castle, Finn says the First Order just destroyed the New Republic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
erak wrote:
larienna wrote:
Quote:

I feel like it's pretty hard to miss actually. In one of their chats with Snoke, Hux says that they're going to use the weapon to destroy the Republic. In his big speech, Hux says that they are about to destroy the Republic. When they see the beams in the sky at Maz's castle, Finn says the First Order just destroyed the New Republic.

I think it was easy to miss because we never really got introduced to the new era. We were immediately plunked down into basically The Rebellion fighting The Empire again. It was jarring to me.

Plus, how did this new evil group gain so much power that they made a weapon bigger than the Empire ever could at it's greatest height. And do it in the few years since the downfall of the Empire.

This politics question has bugged me since I first saw TFA and I've never been satisfied with the explanations. I think Abrams purposely glossed over it so he could get into the nostalgia. Shoddy writing given the scope of the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
I think Abrams purposely glossed over it so he could get into the nostalgia. Shoddy writing given the scope of the series.

That was always the vibe I had from TFA, and I had read enough of the books and other stuff leading into the film to get a vague sense of the back-story.

That this was all just ignored is very irritating.

At the very least it should have been mentioned in the opening scrawl. Even just a single line provides a LOT of context! Looks, it's not hard...

Quote:
Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen from
the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until
Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

With the support of the
With no aid from a waning
NEW REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa
leads begins a brave RESISTANCE.
She is desperate to find her
brother Luke and gain his
help in restoring peace and
justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring
pilot on a secret mission
to Jakku, where an old ally
has discovered a clue to
Luke's whereabouts....

I mean, seriously, doesn't that do a lot better job explaining the situation at the start of the movie? Suddenly, all the 'what happened to the glorious new era we were expecting?' or 'why is it just the Rebels vs Empire again?' and all that...explained! Whatever brightness happened has since faded again, and it's Leia starting out a new campaign against great evil. Easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
. In one of their chats with Snoke, Hux says that they're going to use the weapon to destroy the Republic.

Well that can be pretty abstract. With a weapon like that you can do anything you want. You can want to destroy the NR in general, it does not say that blowing up that specific planet is actually destroying the republic.

-----

I imagine they had 30 years to build the star killer, depends on the background story of snoke that we will possibly never have. I understand they needed a planet buster to destroy the N. republic, but just a big ship with a super laser, or a more ingenious plan would have had the same effect.

Personally, I think a death star is big enough. Also why does a planet that absorbs the energy of the sun is actually made of ice? By the time the star killer approach the sun, all the ice would have melted. A desert planet would have been more logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.