Saboteur: The Duel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do not understand rules.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sirilin Keskla
Estonia
flag msg tools
I am playing this game right now and we are getting fustrated. So I ask here:
1. Does it matter what side if the card is up or down? We thought that golden spot on bottom left corner marks what way card has to be but now we think that maybe we can turn the card upside down?
2. Do you collect the gold and troll cards that you have claimed off the table and keep them for next round or put them back to pack and just write scores down?
3. Can you house your gold from first round to buy off troll in second round?
4. We have bath built to three gold cards and troll between them. It is my partners turn, if he buys off troll, does he get all gold cards? Or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Does it matter what side if the card is up or down? We thought that golden spot on bottom left corner marks what way card has to be but now we think that maybe we can turn the card upside down?

No it doesn't. All cards must be played in the same direction (either horizontal or vertical), but the symbol only indicates from which saboteur game the card is.

2. Do you collect the gold and troll cards that you have claimed off the table and keep them for next round or put them back to pack and just write scores down?

The gold cards that you collected will go into your own scoring pile and not back into the deck. The trolls must be payed with a card with gold on it and do go back into the draw deck.

3. Can you house your gold from first round to buy off troll in second round?

Yes. Note that you don't have to pay trolls right away, but at the end of the round.

4. We have bath built to three gold cards and troll between them. It is my partners turn, if he buys off troll, does he get all gold cards? Or what?

I believe you first have to pay the troll before you can build behind him. I am not a 100% sure about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that in this version of the game (not in the other saboteur games), your opponent can't build behind a door of your color. The route is totally blocked for him/her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:

I believe you first have to pay the troll before you can build behind him. I am not a 100% sure about this.

When you build a path behind the troll, just me put immediately a marker of your color on the Troll card to indicate who has bribed him. At the end of the round, the troll is paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirilin Keskla
Estonia
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for help!
...but we managed to generate more questions.
1. My partner has built separate tunnel with his ladder for quick access. Can I put my card to build his tunnel? Or with ladder same rule applies as with doors, that I can't build behind his blue door?

2. Can I start building my tunnel out of a dead end like i did with troll and ladder?

3. My partner built tunnel to gold card but it has green door that is my colour. Can he still claim the gold or can I claim it because after he turned the gold card it was my turn?

4. I got to gold card, my tunnel doesn't connect with gold there, but I can still claim it? Or make my way to it first? The gold is in a separate unfinished tunnel that is not connected to anything...?

...so sorry about all the questions. We are convinced that we are either complete idiots or the rulebooks are not good enough (we have it in English, Estonian, Danish). It is our first board game and we have spent more time in google and going through this forum with our questions, than playing and it is getting frustrating laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. My partner has built separate tunnel with his ladder for quick access. Can I put my card to build his tunnel? Or with ladder same rule applies as with doors, that I can't build behind his blue door?

No, the rule with the ladder is the same as with the doors. It only gives access to the dwarf with that color. (The dwarfs are complete idiots, they don't dare touch a door or ladder from the other color)

2. Can I start building my tunnel out of a dead end like i did with troll and ladder?

Nope, you must always be able to access the tunnel. Think of it realistically: you must be able to get there and move away the debris back out of the mine.

3. My partner built tunnel to gold card but it has green door that is my colour. Can he still claim the gold or can I claim it because after he turned the gold card it was my turn?

The green dwarf will claim the gold, as he's the only one able to get there.

4. I got to gold card, my tunnel doesn't connect with gold there, but I can still claim it? Or make my way to it first? The gold is in a separate unfinished tunnel that is not connected to anything...?

The gold remains unclaimed until that tunnel is connected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nirilis wrote:
we have spent more time in google and going through this forum with our questions, than playing and it is getting frustrating :laugh:

Check the video that I made in order to explain the game and all your questions will be answered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV1pVSLY8Fo&google_comment_i...

The answers of Marco are correct. You may not continue a path from a dead-end. This would make the use of the ladder too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirilin Keskla
Estonia
flag msg tools
Big thanks to you all! I think we managed to play it correctly and without questions now. It is our first board game and got us hooked enough, that we bought Carcassonne today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.