Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Taylor
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Granite Game Summit is a 3-day round the clock (10am Fri-5pm Sun) event focused on social, open board gaming in the Granite State. Our goal is to bring people new and old to the hobby together in a welcoming and friendly environment.

Doors open at 10am on Friday the 9th and will run til 5pm on Sunday the 11th. we will be holding a math trade and an auction for the event as well (events to go live in the new year).

Tickets are available now for $50 (plus fees) for all three days, or $25/day(plus fees) via granitegamesummit.com.

For more info please visit granitegamesummit.com. Any questions, please feel free to post here, email us at info@granitegamesummit.com, or via our facebook/twitter pages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First-time attendee. It's probably a little late to be asking, but is there a designated place where people organize games in advance? My wife and I will both be there, and I'd like to make sure I get a few of my favorites in. How does the open gaming work? Am I likely to be able to put together a spontaneous quorum for games like Eclipse, Struggle of Empires, or Indonesia, or is the focus on less time-consuming fare? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
das ninja
United States
Marlborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
How does the open gaming work? Am I likely to be able to put together a spontaneous quorum for games like Eclipse, Struggle of Empires, or Indonesia, or is the focus on less time-consuming fare? Thank you!

"Open Gaming" is a bit of an ambiguous term for first-timers to any such event. It is indeed just pick-up games, like playing a game of whichever sportsball. At Open Gaming events, you can put together pick-up games of Eclipse because there are so many other board gamers in attendance.

More obscure and/or heavier titles like Indonesia can potentially kick-off through a spontaneous pick-up game, but games of that nature are helped with some coordination before arriving at the event. There was a geek list created to help facilitate that: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/235515/granite-game-summi...

If you want to play really long and heavy games, my friend JJ and I are attempting to get a game of 18OE going on Friday starting right at 10AM. And I am running High Frontier on Saturday; also starting at 10AM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
das_ninja wrote:

If you want to play really long and heavy games, my friend JJ and I are attempting to get a game of 18OE going on Friday starting right at 10AM. And I am running High Frontier on Saturday; also starting at 10AM.

Thanks so much for the tips - can't wait for my first con since BGG in 2012! Life has done a lot of intervening for the past six years.

If you're comfortable teaching a total noob, I may be interested in High Frontier. Not much of an 18xx head though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
das ninja
United States
Marlborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:

Thanks so much for the tips - can't wait for my first con since BGG in 2012! Life has done a lot of intervening for the past six years.

If you're comfortable teaching a total noob, I may be interested in High Frontier. Not much of an 18xx head though.

No problem.

I am going to have to go over rules anyway, so I do not mind teaching as long as everyone plays it through to the end or until we call it.

Just got to keep in mind that it will be the "advanced" (full) rules, and full Solar system with the Support System and Colonist modules; what I consider to be the bare minimum High Frontier experience. Including the rules session, I expect the game to run for 8 to 10 hours.

Right now, we have 3 definite and 1 maybe with 1 spot open. If the maybe drops, then we would have spots for you and your wife; assuming you want to spend the bulk of your Saturday playing High Frontier. It is definitely an experience that will take up the better part of a day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think we're probably better served playing a few slightly shorter games (like 4 hrs or so). Appreciate the invite, though. If you all need a few rounds of something vapid as a closer, we'll be around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
das ninja
United States
Marlborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
If you all need a few rounds of something vapid as a closer, we'll be around.

And that is exactly what mode I will be shifting to after High Frontier is done and some dinner is had; shifting to the polar opposite by running the Two Rooms and a Boom event.

From the level of interest I have been told there was last year, JJ and I may be running two parallel games that will support up to a total of 64 players. About twenty minutes per game and we will be running for several hours, so feel free to jump in and out whenever you can; if you are interested in chaotic social deduction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.