Emilios Vitalis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So we had this situation come up.. A survivor was returning to the colony with a fireplace improvement. He already had a frostbite wound and a regular wound and the player rolled another frostbite wound.

Rule-wise, does the fireplace effect comes in action immediately before the exposure roll or after?

By the way, personally I was a first player and after some discussion we said that the fireplace takes place before the exposure roll..

But I would like to know also what the letter of the law is, as they say. Does moving a player involve the roll as a compound action thus triggering the rule that says that an action must be completed before applying any other effects or here the effect of the fireplace card comes in first?
Because it also states in the rulebook that you move a survivor and THEN you roll..

I would seriously love some input from the designers of the game on that.. Thank you in advance for any advice!

By the way, great game, I love it so far! <3
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nope.. the guy is dead.

Thematically speaking the exposure die is what happens to the survivor as they went to the location.

The fireplace is a feature of the colony and it makes no sense to me to have a feature (any) to be applied before completing the moving action. If you'd have a passive character power, you would apply it after you moved and rolled the exposure die and i believe this does no exception.

My take is the reason you move first is because if you roll the tooth you already know where to apply it without deciding afterwards (You know.. i decide to move and roll the tooth and then i decide to move to the empty grocery store bearing no consequences)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilios Vitalis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Guess I was too invested in the character psychologically.. It just seemed too tragic to die on your way to the fireplace.. haha..
Thanks again!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Morrison
msg tools
Djna83 wrote:
Nope.. the guy is dead.

Thematically speaking the exposure die is what happens to the survivor as they went to the location.

The fireplace is a feature of the colony and it makes no sense to me to have a feature (any) to be applied before completing the moving action. If you'd have a passive character power, you would apply it after you moved and rolled the exposure die and i believe this does no exception.

My take is the reason you move first is because if you roll the tooth you already know where to apply it without deciding afterwards (You know.. i decide to move and roll the tooth and then i decide to move to the empty grocery store bearing no consequences)



The same situation came up for us last night.

I disagree with the above.

The rules state this

"ROLLING FOR EXPOSURE
Immediately after a survivor moves to a new
location or kills a zombie, the player that
controls that survivor must roll for exposure by rolling
this die."

I read that as you arrive at a location THEN move. With the turn order being this way around you would Arrive, Lose frostbite. Roll exposure, Gain frostbite then at the end of the round remove the other frostbite.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
Corvonia wrote:

I read that as you arrive at a location THEN move. With the turn order being this way around you would Arrive, Lose frostbite. Roll exposure, Gain frostbite then at the end of the round remove the other frostbite.

But you didn't "immediately" roll for exposure. You did a different thing (removing frostbite), so doesn't that contradict the rule?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Corvonia wrote:
I read that as you arrive at a location THEN move.

Move where? What do you mean you "arrive" then "move"? You need to move to arrive.

Corvonia wrote:
With the turn order being this way around you would Arrive, Lose frostbite. Roll exposure, Gain frostbite then at the end of the round remove the other frostbite.

In this sequence you would be inserting an effect (lose frostbite) before resolving your move (roll exposure). If exposure kills you during your move you will never have arrived.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim V
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I totally agree with Chuck.

You move from one location to another, thus going outside in very cold, harsh and dangerous conditions.

Thats is where you get a frostbite or get bitten by lurking zombies, not in your new location.

So if you get your third wound while moving, you drop dead in the snow before you could reach your new location and take comfort at the fireplace.

Its a hard postapocalyptic world
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Corvonia wrote:

The rules state this

"ROLLING FOR EXPOSURE
Immediately after a survivor moves to a new
location or kills a zombie, the player that
controls that survivor must roll for exposure by rolling
this die."

I read that as you arrive at a location THEN move. With the turn order being this way around you would Arrive, Lose frostbite. Roll exposure, Gain frostbite then at the end of the round remove the other frostbite.


You read that incorrectly. The roll happens "immeadiately", not "after applying effects of the location to which you moved."

Survivor should be dead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.