Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I thrifted a copy of GtR last week, read the rules and broke it out for a test game today. We were two thirds of the way through, when I noticed the wording on the Forum in my hand...

Then checked the name. Forum Romanum!

I've read enough threads to see that this is an IV edition, with the expansion buildings in, and none of the old cards are there, (Senate, Forum, Circus, and Coliseum).

Having read those threads I agree that I don't much like the two card petition, and don't know if the 4 orders and a jack versus 5 orders effects things much.

What bad things will happen playing Imperial rules with the Republic buildings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
So I thrifted a copy of GtR last week, read the rules and broke it out for a test game today. We were two thirds of the way through, when I noticed the wording on the Forum in my hand...

Then checked the name. Forum Romanum!

I've read enough threads to see that this is an IV edition, with the expansion buildings in, and none of the old cards are there, (Senate, Forum, Circus, and Coliseum).

Having read those threads I agree that I don't much like the two card petition, and don't know if the 4 orders and a jack versus 5 orders effects things much.

What bad things will happen playing Imperial rules with the Republic buildings?

First off, you can always "transpose" the cards. Perhaps print out a reference sheet or 3 and give it to the other players for, reference?

Otherwise, as is...

Crane - it's fine

Tribunal - it's fine

Domus Aurea - This seems only slightly less nasty than Coliseum, but still fine.

Forum Romanum - may be far too difficult to get with Imperial rules, Pool control is VERY tight, whereas Republic rules has even hard to get blue/stone much more readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republic buildings neuter the Legionary role, primarily, if I recall correctly, and also make the Forum win condition more difficult to achieve. I prefer the imperium buildings, but I don't think the republic buildings will break the game. (Then again, it has been a while since I've used them.)

* EDIT: Looking at the buildings side by side, I think you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy enough to ignore the Forum Romanum extra sentence. Senate seems better but similar enough. Miss the Circus being a possibility, but like the buff Crane gives.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with Domus Aurea and imperium rules, so that's a definite improvement. Crane and Tribunal are fine too, but I also suggest converting Forum Romanum to the original Forum, because it's a really fun card that would be really hurt by the extra clause in an Imperial environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.