We Detectives» Forums » Rules

Subject: The written rules are awful. Here's my interpretation. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen Robinson

Colorado
msg tools
mb
I'm still figuring this out, but here's my stab at the rules.

Place each of the detectives on the house that matches its color in the corners.

Shuffle the large rhombus-shaped tiles with the nighttime city lights on the back: these are the Location tiles. Place each one on a space marked "location". Turn them face up to make a map of the town.

Shuffle the large rectangular tiles with the moon on the back and place them in a pile face down. These are the WePhone tiles.

Shuffle the small rhombus-shaped tiles with the magnifying glass on the back: these are the Evidence tiles. Deal them out to the players. If you have four players, each gets four of them. The images on them appear in the center of the board; you will place them there when you have “found” the Evidence. Each image appears on one or more of the Location tiles, but it’s verrry tiny and hard to see. There’s also a chart in the rules that shows which piece of Evidence is on which Location tile, but is also verrry tiny and hard to see. I think the set should come with a magnifying glass, which would be appropriate for the theme and make the chart and tiles usable.

Anyway, when it’s your turn, draw a WePhone tile and follow the instructions on it. Unless it tells you otherwise, you can move five spaces. If you pass by any of the locations that have a figure matching one of your Evidence tiles, you can pop in and “find” the evidence, and place your Evidence tile in the center on the matching space. This counts as two spaces: stepping into the location and stepping out again. But if you have enough room (sometimes you draw a tile that says you can move ten spaces) you might be able to collect more than one piece of evidence on one turn.

If you have completed the instructions on the WePhone tile, put it in a discard pile. Otherwise leave it in front of you to be completed on your next turn. But you will be drawing a new WePhone tile on your next turn, so you may end up with several to work on. I haven’t figured out whether they have to be done in the order in which you drew them, or in reverse order, or in any order.

If you draw a WePhone tile that says there is a hazard, put a round Hazard token on the location where it is. Car accidents are in front of the location and block the street so players can’t move past them until they’re cleared. To clear a hazard, follow the instructions on the WePhone tile. It took me a bit to realize that if, for example, there’s a fire in a certain location, you put the fire token there, but to clear it you have to go to the fire station. Once you reach the fire station, the hazard is cleared and you can remove the Hazard token from the location.

If a location has a hazard on it, no one can enter to find evidence there until it is cleared.

If you draw the tile that says to meet at the café and each detective move eight spaces, they all go to the café and then they each move eight spaces before their next turn, before drawing the next WePhone tile. This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage: it might get you farther from where you want to be, but you also get to explore before drawing the next WePhone tile.

If one player runs out of Evidence tiles before the others, one of them can pass on one of theirs, so the first player can help out the second.

The goal is to get all the Evidence tiles placed in the center of the board before you turn up all the WePhone tiles.

Good luck! I was horribly frustrated by the rules, but once I kind of figured it out, it became more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.