Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Kitchen Rush» Forums » General

Subject: Timers and Hourglasses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Paton
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi! My copy just arrived can't wait to play however some of my timers look egregiously wrong. What should the times be on my big vs small timers?

I quickly skimmed the rulebook but didn't want to mess around too much in case I need to send it back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Time them. They may look different but they are supposed to be around 28-32 seconds.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gentry
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine look quite different but they are all roughly equivalent. Unfortunately some of them stop running during the game. Have to keep an eye on a specific few so you don’t miss it during a round. May have to source my own timers!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check them as the above person mentioned as long as it is between 27-32 secs its fine.
If you have any other issues like them getting stuck or way too from the time mentioned, email Arpitia, they will send replacements.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JazzFlight
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tested my timers and I'm aghast at the terrible quality control for what is the central component of this game. I have timers going from 25 seconds (which got stuck once or twice) to 36 seconds. The ones that are 36 seconds even flip between 28/35 and 31/36 seconds when you turn them over, so they're not even consistently off!

This is the most ridiculous screw-up I can think of. It's like selling a dice game with loaded dice. Off to contact them for replacements, I guess.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brennan
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visually, all of the timers look different with regards to how much sand is inside them. That being said, for the most part they are all within 1-3 seconds of each other. Except for one of the green ones which seems to be an additional 3-5 seconds slower than all of the others, but I need to do some more testing to confirm.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an official mail regarding to the hourglass differences:

Please note that the amount of sand and the design of the hourglasses is irrelevant with their actual duration.
If you have hourglasses that last less than 25 or more than 35 seconds (accepatble range that does not affect gameplay) then let us know which ones are to arrange replacement shipment.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JazzFlight
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angie666 wrote:
I got an official mail regarding to the hourglass differences:

Please note that the amount of sand and the design of the hourglasses is irrelevant with their actual duration.
If you have hourglasses that last less than 25 or more than 35 seconds (accepatble range that does not affect gameplay) then let us know which ones are to arrange replacement shipment.


LOL, geez, a range of 25-35 does not affect gameplay? Really? I don't think so. So if you have one timer at 25 and the other timer takes 10 more seconds each action to finish, it doesn't affect gameplay?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Velles
Greece
Athens
Agia Paraskevi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that all the timers should be accurate to 30 sceonds:

Every person who works in a kitchen has different abilities, therefore, the time that every worker needs to prepare a dish is different.

As the hourglasses do not deviate more than five or six seconds form the 30 seconds' time, I don't consider it as a manufacturing fault, but as a nice thematic element itself!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my timers does this:

It's within the time range but very hard to see that it finished.
Artipia said they would replace it.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFlight wrote:
Angie666 wrote:
I got an official mail regarding to the hourglass differences:

Please note that the amount of sand and the design of the hourglasses is irrelevant with their actual duration.
If you have hourglasses that last less than 25 or more than 35 seconds (accepatble range that does not affect gameplay) then let us know which ones are to arrange replacement shipment.


LOL, geez, a range of 25-35 does not affect gameplay? Really? I don't think so. So if you have one timer at 25 and the other timer takes 10 more seconds each action to finish, it doesn't affect gameplay?

If it bothers you, make your round timer 4 minutes 20 seconds. That should cover the slow timer without giving an advantage to the fast ones.

Cheap sand timers are imprecise, I doubt replacements will be more reliable. There is a reason we don't have hour-glasses strapped to our wrists.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
All mine are within 2 seconds of the 30 second target except for a blue one that is 24 seconds and a yellow one that is 42 seconds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
We have one that lasts 19 seconds and one 90 seconds. The rest is 29-33 seconds.
Didn't notice until middle of first play, didn't win
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeri Temmerman
Belgium
Kaprijke
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this game with the expansion and played it for the first time today.
2 of the colours lasts about 120 seconds. That's crazy.
I hope they will replace the hourglasses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the original KS campaign and they replaced the "too lame worker" hourglasses without any discussion. Just write them a message
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeri Temmerman
Belgium
Kaprijke
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Angie666 wrote:
I backed the original KS campaign and they replaced the "too lame worker" hourglasses without any discussion. Just write them a message


Yeah,

I mailed them the moment I replied here and got a reply back an hour ago.
They will replace them. Top service!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.